The Elatin | Teen Ink

The Elatin

By On_A_Journey SILVER, Sparks, Nevada
On_A_Journey SILVER, Sparks, Nevada

Not all those who wander are lost- J.R.R Tolkien

I watched the waves as they crashed against the shoreline. The ocean is so vast, so powerful. The salty spray hits me, but I don't move. The water is so beautiful, the sunset reflected on its surface.
"Eliana!" I turn, it was Taylee, my best friend. Her wild hair blows in the breeze, and she grins at me. "We're going to be late, come on!"
I smile, following her along the path, my bare feet making prints in the soft sand dunes.

The town square is brightly lit, thousands of twinkling lights hung on every building. In the center of the square the Elatin create colorful pictures in the air, weaving light into trees that sway, dolphins that turn and leap in the air. They are every bit as mesmerizing as the ocean.
"Eliana!" Taylee pulls me towards where all the other fourteen year olds from the village had gathered. We stood with them, watching the main square.
"What do you think your assignment will be?" Taylee asks, her blue-green eyes betraying her nervousness.
I shrugged, "I'll find out soon enough." Once a year, the Elatin-powerful magic wielders-made the journey to all the villages and towns in the kingdom of Havers. Then they assign tasks to all the fourteen year olds there, which usually last around a year and often gihve the kingdom children the option to accept a new trade.
"Wouldn't it be nice if we got the same one? As long as I don't have to go somewhere cold." she shivered, although the night was warm. "I've heard Claris is beautiful..."
I let her talk, watching the other children around me. Most of them looked nervous, but hopeful. I found my mother with my eyes, standing near the square, a faint smile touching her lips. I tried to catch her eye, but she began speaking with Taylee's mother and didn't see me. She's probably been watching you, waiting for you to look over. I tell myself, hoping it's true. My mother hates this festival, hates the Elatin. My father had been killed a long time ago, in a terrible accident she wouldn't tell me the details of. All I knew was that an Elatin had been involved. I reminded her of him, everyone said I looked just like him. Maybe that was part of the reason I spent so much time away from home, staring at the sea. I couldn't bear the pained look she got whenever she saw me. I turned back to Taylee, who was still talking.
"Or there's that one island, what's it called? I always forget, anyway, it might be nice to live on an island, don't you think?" She didn't wait for my reply, "I hope we don't end up like Calin, remember, he got send to work in that coal mine last year. I hear it's cold up there. What if..." she sees my expression and stops, "what?"
"Nothing." I shake my head.
"You're not..."
"I'm fine!" I snap. She turns away, hurt, and I instantly regret my harsh tone. "sorry, I'm just...worried, is all."
"Why? You'll proba-"
"Attention." The speaker is a tall Elatin, he has an olive complexion, and dark hair. "We are now ready to commence the ceremony." He seemed a bit nervous, clearing his throat and wiping his hands on his dress shirt. "Alitan, please step forward."
A boy I rarely spoke to stepped up, and the Elatin focused, closing his eyes. The air in front of him glowed bright blue. He opened his eyes, clearing his throat again.
Another Elatin stepped up, she smiled at the boy. "My name is Rilaine. I will take you to Sylani, to be a fisherman."
More names were called. I found my mother again in the crowd. She looked at me, but ducked her head again quickly, staring at the ground. Finally, it was my turn. I swallow as my name is called and step forwards. The air between me and the Elatin turned bright gold. He turns around, looking confused, wrinkling his brow and frowning. The oldest looking Elatin steps up. Her silver hair is in two braids down her back, and, although wrinkles line her face, her eyes are bright and alert.
"You shall journey to Ceylin." she said, "to learn the ways of the Elatin."
I surveyed the crowd, finding my mother. She looked shocked, her hands clenched into fists against her light blue skirt. Taylee stared at me, her mouth open slightly. I closed my eyes. Then I sighed, and opened them again. I could figure this out. For now though, I decided to enjoy the rest of the night.