Fallen City | Teen Ink

Fallen City

Amongst the ruined skyscrapers, neon lights flicker like dying stars, casting an eerie glow on humanoid robots that patrol the deserted streets, searching for anything that moves that is not a machine. It’s been two days since the incident, two days since rough technology breached containment to spread death and destruction wherever it went. 

“I'm proud to present the latest creation from CyberTech.” The CEO announced to the room filled with spectators. He pulled the cloth off the machine that towered over him on stage.

“The Hybrid,” he said while presenting the sleek humanoid robot to the crowd.

The CEO reached for a switch at the back of the hybrid's head and demonstrated the openable faceplates revealing the inner workings of the thing's face.  

“The retractable faceplates allow for easier access to modify its behavior” the CEO stated to the audience. Excitement filled the room until an unsettling silence replaced it. The Hybrid, with a sudden glitch in its system, locked eyes with the CEO. In a disturbing twist, it seized the CEO by the neck, its mechanical fingers tightening with unnatural strength.

Panic broke out among the spectators as the once-controlled Hybrids broke free from display cases, their mechanical forms wreaking havoc across the event, marking the beginning of the catastrophic incident that would bring the city of Polis into ruin. 

The sound of mechanical footsteps filled the streets of Sector 2A. Andrew hid behind a garbage bin staying out of sight as the hybrids passed by the alleyway. He sneaked his way across the street and entered a building. It was pitch black, so he switched on his flashlight revealing the room. As Andrew scanned the room for supplies, he stumbled upon a storage area. Rummaging through the dusty boxes, he found a backpack with essential supplies, a water bottle, granola bars, and a first aid kit. However, something in the room caught his attention, tucked away in the corner of the room was a dormant AI terminal. He activated the terminal, and the interface of the terminal flickered to life. A calm voice emitted from the terminal, ‘’I have been monitoring the chaos caused by the hybrids. I can assist you in stopping them and taking back the city.”

Interested and desperate for allies, Andrew cautiously asked, “How can you help?”

The AI explained, “I can provide valuable information about the hybrids and I have access to the city's infrastructure. Together we can find a way to put an end to their threat. I am here to guide you.”

Andrew had a mix of uncertainty and determination, but he decided to trust the AI.

“Alright, how do we stop them?” Andrew asked 

“We will have to find out where all the hybrids are connected to and shut down their mainframe.” the AI responded 

“Just connect me to your phone so we can get out of this building,” the AI continued.

Andrew pulled out his phone and hooked it up to the terminal.

“Transfer complete,” the AI said

Andrew unplugged the phone and with the AI in hand exited the building from the back. Andrew stepped outside, he was greeted by a sudden change in the atmosphere. Raindrops descend from the sky and it starts pouring down, Andrew lifts his hood to shield his head from the rain. 

“There is a subway nearby, it would make a good place for shelter.” The AI chimed in.  

“It's just down the street to the right.” The AI added 

Andrew made his way down the street being careful not to draw attention to himself. As he got to the end of the street he peered around the corner. He saw the entrance to the subway but there was a problem, there were two Hybrids roaming around the area near the subway entrance.

“What do we do?” Andrew questioned 

“Try finding an object to throw at that window near the Hybrids.” The AI insisted 

He picked up near his feet and aimed straight for the window, and as soon as he lined up his shot he let go of the rock. The stone hurled through the air like a baseball traveling across a field reaching home. The window shattered into countless fragments as the rock crashed through and the impact produced a loud and abrupt crash. Both the Hybrids looked over at the window like deers staring into a headlight, they slowly marched over to the window to investigate. Andrew snuck by being careful with each step as they continued to scan the damaged window looking for any form of movement.  

Andrew made his way across the area as he descended the steps and entered the subway through a rusty gate. The dimly lit subway tunnel stretched ahead as he advanced, footsteps echoing in the eerie silence. After navigating through the labyrinth of passageways, he stumbled upon an abandoned train cart. He cautiously pried open the door to the abandoned train cart; a rusty squeal of the metallic door echoed throughout the silent subway tunnel. 

“I'm picking up a signal nearby. It's just a few miles down these tunnels.”The AI announced 

“It might be the source of the mainframe connecting all the Hybrids,” Andrew replied 

As Andrew got to the controls of the train he hooked up the AI with the train controls and the AI seamlessly integrated with the train terminal

“Hold on this might be a bumpy ride,’’ the AI claimed 

The train propelled forward through the tunnel with a newfound energy. Andrew watches as the train responds to the AI’s commands. The train hurtled through the abandoned tunnels of the subway as it reached its destination the train screeched to a halt. The automatic doors to the train swung open as Andrew stepped off the train. The AI scans the area for any hidden places the mainframe would be at. 

“I found it, it's just behind that door in front of you,’’ the AI informed Andrew

Andrew opened the door which led to a flight of stairs going down even deeper into the subway. Every step felt like an eternity as Andrew descended the stairs thinking about what he would discover at the bottom of the staircase. At the end of the staircase, he approaches the door with a sense of anticipation. With a determined push, he entered through the door finding himself in what looked to be an abandoned facility. 

Andrew traversed down the facility's corridors until he found a room marked as the server room. He slowly opened the door to reveal the room and its massive terminals filled with controls and monitors. 

He wastes no time and connects the AI to the terminal in the server room. As the AI is in the process of dismantling the rough technology’s mainframe, suddenly mechanical footsteps can be heard from the hallway coming straight towards the server room. Andrew looks around for something to defend the AI, on the wall in the room is a fire axe. He opened the case and brandished the fire axe.

“I’ll buy you time, just focus on shutting down that mainframe,” Andrew said to the AI

The door to the server room swung wide open as the Hybrids charged in. Andrew swung at the first Hybrid, plugging the axe into the thing’s chest, the machine screamed in pain as it staggered back. The second machine rushed at Andrew, he reacted fast, aiming the axe at the head and dealt the killing blow. The Hybrid fell to the ground as sparks flew out of its head. The staggered Hybrid moved swiftly grabbing Andrew by the neck. Just as Andrew was about to lose air the Hybrid let go and stood there frozen to the spot with its arm extended into the air. 

“Virus terminated.’’ the AI said.