The Weeping Sky | Teen Ink

The Weeping Sky

By 4Newmane GOLD, Nashotah, Wisconsin
4Newmane GOLD, Nashotah, Wisconsin

The world in 300 years, sky no longer blue, life on Earth is gone. God has sent four people back to the planet to show them what has happened. 

“I have sent you here to restore the planet. If you succeed, I will send life back to you on Earth,” he promised. The people, confused about what had happened to their home, didn't know where to start. With no trees and other forms of life, how were they to restore the planet. 

They went to God and said,

“Please, God, send us tree seeds to plant, once the ground is clean we shall plant them to recycle the pollution in the air.” God heard their request and sent them seeds. 

“The trees are not to be planted until the ground is clean, if they are planted in poor soil, and are not taken care of, they will not grow,” he exclaimed. The people knew there were other gods to ask for help with reviving their world. They looked at Zeus, the god of the sky for help. 

“Please, Zeus, help us restore our atmosphere. Our sky is poisoned,” the people said. Zeus doesn’t answer. For he was utterly disappointed in humankind for creating such a disaster on their planet.

The people work for years to clean a spot to plant the trees, and it is finally done. They plant the trees in the ground and they instantly grow into a large forest with all kinds of trees and plants. Pine trees, Maple trees, and Oak trees cover miles of land. The people look around and notice that the trees are grown all over the world. 

“There are millions of trees grown all over the world, land animals have been gifted to you for they now have a place to live. You have succeeded with cleaning the soil, now you must clean water and sky,” God says.

The people look back to Zeus once again and say, “Please, Zeus, help us restore our atmosphere. Our sky is poisoned.” Once again, no answer from Zeus for he is still upset. So the people look to another god, the god of the sea, for he shall be able to help clear the water.

“Poseidon!” The people scream. “Please help us clear our water, for we need water to drink.” Poseidon answers. 

“People of Earth, I can help you clear the waters now for you have proven yourself with the trees.” Sure enough Poseidon slowly clears the ocean. After ten years it was restored.

“ Sea animals have now been gifted back to the planet.” God says, “Now you must restore the sky.” The people have now given up with Zeus so they try another option. They must let the trees clear the poison from the sky on their own. The trees take in the carbon dioxide and put out oxygen. So they wait, the people just wait.

After another fifty years, the sky still isn’t bright blue, but yet a mustard yellow. They have no other option, they once again look to Zeus for help.

“Please, Zeus, help us clear our skies, it is our final step, we are desperate.” The people shouted towards the sky. This time, Zeus answers. 

“People on Earth, you have proven yourself to me, but how will I know this won't happen again?” Zeus shouts back. The four people sit and think for a moment on how to answer him. Finally one of the people said,

“Zeus, take our automobiles, factories, and even electricity. We don’t want our planet to end up like this again and we have learned from our mistakes. We will make sure the people know about what has happened and that we must keep our planet healthy or this disaster will happen again.” Zeus stops and thinks for a minute and tells the people,

“I will take your automobile, factories, and electricity. Your skies will clear.” The people look up as the sky turns from the nasty yellow to a beautiful, bright, vibrant, blue. They look back down towards the ground and notice all of the abandoned cars have disappeared, the big pillars from the factories have cleared, and the power lines that ran through the sky were gone. God talks to the people one more time and says,

“Thank you for reviving my planet, I shall send everything living species back to you now. You have made me proud.”

The people, happy with what they have accomplished realized that this problem could have been solved before it got this out of hand. Something could have been done before the problem has progressed as much as it did. So the people decided to  send a warning to the past society: Spontaneous weather, hot and cold flashes between days, And storms that didn’t make sense. Hopeful that the people of the past identify these signs.

I wrote this to help make a creative twist on what is truly happening to our planet. I want to help create an awareness anyway I can so we can decrease the amount of pollution we are creating.