No Outside Interference | Teen Ink

No Outside Interference

May 13, 2024
By Via-Elliott GOLD, Centerville, Iowa
Via-Elliott GOLD, Centerville, Iowa
10 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Goodbye, everyone, I'll remember you all in therapy!"


I look up at what these humans call the ‘night sky’, and frown. I can see the ship in the distance. I know it’s almost time to go.


I turn and look at my surroundings, the dense forest teeming with wildlife. A soft buzzing echoes in my ears for a moment before I feel a prick on my hand.


I look and see the mosquito biting my hand, drinking my blood quickly. As if it was anticipating me slapping it away. I didn’t, stood still and let it feed off me.


Funny how they are perceived as nuisances by humans, when they are just trying to live. It’s not their fault that they can only have enough nutrients to make eggs from blood. They didn’t ask to be created in such a way.


It finishes feeding and leaves, leaving a small red mark on the back of my hand. It itches for a moment, before it heals right before my eyes. Increased healing has always been a good thing from my species.


I pick up on the sound of a car pulling in a few miles away, and my heart drops. They’re here.


I turn back to face the moon in solemn silence, waiting for them to arrive. It needed to be done, and the ship was getting closer by the minute.


It took them about five minutes to find me, a record for them.


“Found you,” They mutter as they walk behind me. “Why did you want me to meet you here?”


I sigh softly but don’t turn around. Staring at the moon, as if it will give me guidance. As if it will talk to me.


It doesn’t.


“I…need to tell you something.”


I turn around to face them, my skin slowly taking on a blue tint. My disguise is fading.


But they already know.


I see their face fall as my skin begins to turn blue.


“Oh…you’re leaving. Aren’t you?” They whisper, taking a step closer to me.


I nod, “I…I am. I…wanted to tell you sooner, but…”


I shake my head.


“The council is upset with me for forging relationships like this. They say it’s against what I came here for.”


They tilt their head, “What…did you come here for in the first place?”


“Information,” I spit out. “information on you humans. How you are running the planet…as a, ah…”


I scratch my head, trying to think of the correct word.


“A…hm…what’s the word when you go to that…place with the people in white? That stab you with needles?”


They laugh, “The doctor’s? Is that what you mean?”


“Yes, yes! Doctors- what is it called when you go on a normal basis, again?” I give them a curious look.


They give me a smile, a sad, almost desperate smile. I had told them so much about me, and they never once judged.


“A check-up,” They respond with that same, sad smile. “You were sent to watch us like…a check-up for the planet.”


I nod enthusiastically, “Yes! Yes, that’s it! I was sent to do a check-up,” My smile dims. “And…well, I…”


I stop. What would happen if I tell them what the council has told me? Would they find out? Would I be executed?


I sigh. It’s worth the risk.


“Would you…like to know the verdict?” I ask quietly.


They look at me and nod quickly.


“I do, I…I want to know. If it’s what’s making you leave, then…I wanna know.”


I nod solemnly, “Very well then.”


I take in a deep breath and look towards the sky one more time. The ship is closer. I don’t have much time.


“The council has decided…that there’s no saving this planet,” I await their reaction, and upon seeing curiosity in their face, I continue. “You humans have made this place your home. But you’re killing the planet in the process. And the amount of hate you have for each other is astonishing,”


I turn back around and see the ship even closer. Has it sped up? I need to be faster.


“...So they’ve decided there’s no use. They’ve decided that we need to let your kind kill itself before we work to restore the planet,” I look back at them, black tears welling up in my eyes. “We don’t know when we’ll come back, but all attempts of future communication are to be shut down. I won’t see you again.”


They take a deep breath. Sharp and pointed, I can sense they are angry.


“So that’s it? You’re just telling me we’re going to kill ourselves and then you’re leaving?” They spit. “I…I can’t believe you. I thought…I thought we were friends.”


I turn away so I can’t see their face. I can’t bear to. It’s too much.


“I’m sorry, my friend,” I whisper. “But I can’t decide what happens. The council has decided not to interfere. They-”


“To hell with the council!” They shout, the shake in their voice prominent. They’re crying. “You…you’re my friend! Your species can fix this, can’t it?! Fix us?!”


I shake my head as the ship finally comes close enough to the planet and slowly begins to descend upon the ground. I can’t bear to look back or say anything. It would reveal too much.


I hear them sniffle, “...fine. Just leave us to die. Leave me to die. I see how it is.”


I hear them pick up a rock and throw it at me, which I dodge with ease. I say nothing as the ship lands, the door opening, inviting me inside. I don’t look back. I can’t.


It’s too much.


I slowly walk inside. I can’t look back at them. I can’t.


I hear them turn around and walk away, their footsteps echoing in my ears as the doors shut behind me.


I can’t believe it. I’ve betrayed the trust of the only person who’s ever loved me.


I feel sick.