Lesson nro 1 | Teen Ink

Lesson nro 1

There. Behind the corner. Did you see him? No? Look again.
The one wearing the blue cap. Yes, the dumb looking one.
Do you think he can see us?
No, he can't.. And you know why?
Because he doesn't want to. He doesn't believe that we exist so he doesn't see us.
No one does.
Not even the children. Seems like a waste of time, doesn't it?

But now isn't the time to get lost in thoughts.
Look at him. What do you see?
Yes, he's awfully normal. Normal height, normal genetics, normal clothes. Even a normal name, Ben.
So why do we look at him?
He doesn't have anything special. He's Mr. Normal in every aspect. A bit boring if you want to use that word.
NO, we can't go clubbing with Nina today. You're here to study, remember?

Let's start from the beginning. I believe you have already completed your history studies. So let's move straight into the subject of humans and our duty here on Earth.
You know that most people on Earth believe in gods. And in some religions there are also other creatures like devils and angels. Now, there is a common belief of angels guarding the lives of people. They call them guardian angels. Not really imaginative, are they?
But what they don't know is that there are only 500 so called guardian angels. Now, that would mean that every guardian angel would have about 12 million lives to guard and protect. And that, my child, is just too much for a single angel to carry out.. So we came here to look after those who don't really need protection, the ordinary ones.

It all started when Great Deothroas made a contract with the spiritual ruler of Earth in the ancient time. Great Deothroas was a true hero, one with a heart as big as the planet. A wit as sharp as the dagger that pierced through the rock. A mind as large as... I'm sorry, I didn't quite hear you. What was that?
Oh yes, yes, I think I got a little sidetracked. Now where was I?
Oh yes, protecting the humans.

That was our only job, our mission, to look after the humans. We were like babysitters, all flying around trying to stop them from hurting themselves.
But things didn't get any better. People were unhappy, some even miserable and there was nothing we could do. In time we became depressed. Most of us quited and those who stayed, pushed themselves to death. And then we noticed it.
People were beginning to smile and some even fell in love. And the most bizarre thing was that they were hurting themselves. Some of them got bruises or cuts into their fingers, the others had car crashes or slight concussions and still they were happier.
Yes, I thought that too. "They must be masochists or just completely insane." Funny thing, I must say.

What are we doing here if not to protect, you ask. We are here to make people happy. We are here to cause accidents.

Schubster said...
lol, i love the ending...totally unexpected :) tho i wonder what kind of accident they will cause Ben..anyway, i loved it. if u got a chance, could u read mine? if not, that's fine too. good luck with writing!