untitled (re-write) | Teen Ink

untitled (re-write)

By JessC SILVER, Waterloo, Other
JessC SILVER, Waterloo, Other

It was a dark and stormy night, and I was running – more like stumbling – through the dark, muddy forest. I could feel my heart pounding against my chest. I wanted to scream, but I couldn’t find my voice. I wanted to take a rest, but I couldn’t bring myself to stop. If I did, I would probably die.
There was something – something unnatural – following me. Chasing me, really.
I wanted to wake up from this nightmare, to be able to say to myself ‘It was just a bad dream’, but I knew that wouldn’t happen. This was real. There was no way of denying it.
Then, suddenly, I fell. My body hit the ground with a soft thud.
I couldn’t get up. My legs were aching.
I finally managed to sit up.
Then, I felt a cold, bony hand on my shoulder. “Hello, Claire.” It said. I turned around to see a man, about my age – 17 – with pale skin, and…uh oh. Are those... uh oh. Fangs.
Fangs!
I tried to run, but the vampire was on top of me, stopping my sad attempt to get up. I knew what was coming next.
Then it happened. Sharp and painful. Like two, thick needles.
Oh my god. This can’t be happening to me. No! No!
Beep! Beep! Beep!
I woke up, startled, to the sound of my alarm. It was just a dream. I was relived.
As I walked past my mirror, something caught my eye : two red marks on my neck, where the vampire bit me in my dream.
I stared at the cuts in the mirror.
Maybe it wasn’t a dream. Could it of been real? It felt real as it was happening. Do vampires really exist? Shouldn’t I be one, now that I’ve been bitten?
I decided to look into it. You know, do some research. There should be something on the internet.
“Claire! Come here! There’s someone at the door for you!” my mom yelled.
I guess my research will have to wait.
I quickly put on some jeans and a turtle neck sweater, tied my long, black hair up in a ponytail, and hurried down the stairs.
I stopped when I saw him, sitting at my dining room table. The vampire from my dream. Or last night. Or whatever it was.
He smiled at me.
“Hello, Claire. We meet again.”
Then all went black.
And when I woke again, I was a vampire with a thirst for blood.