Petals of Hope | Teen Ink

Petals of Hope

October 10, 2009
By PixieChick BRONZE, Cuayhoga Falls, Ohio
PixieChick BRONZE, Cuayhoga Falls, Ohio
3 articles 3 photos 9 comments

Favorite Quote:
"If the universe does not facinate you, then you have no soul"-Einstein
"Dealing with backstabbers, there was one thing I learned, they're only powerful when you got your back turned."-Eminem


They said that science would help us. They said science would make our lives better. They were wrong.

Many years ago, a nuclear explosion occured that made the whole world go into chaos. Children were no longer being born, livestock was dying because plants were dying. That was how it was for months and then, even more after affects hit us. The whole world turned black and white. Color seemed to be drained from everything, including people. It was like an old movie only it was real. During those months, my brother, who seemed to be more intact with the world though he was only five, grew distant from me. He seemed to be better off alone than with people. My mother was constantly worried about him and still is.

It's been two years after the explosion and it still seems as though the apocalypse is happening. I am Quillia, or Quill for short. I am fourteen now and my brother is seven. In these two years, he had grwon even more distant from me. It always make me wonder, what happened to the laughing little boy that used to be my brother.


"Quill?"


I focus and look behind me to my brother. His dark grey eyes are intense.


"What is it, Alex?" I reply.


Instead of replying, he takes my hand and leads me outside. We walk to his spot, the one he always sit at, and he uncovers something from a blanket. Underneath is a tree branch with a strange colored bud.


"Wait, why is it not like, grey?" I ask.


He shrugs and he touches the bud. Suddenly, it unpeels the petals and it's a purple and yellow flower. I would say the name but I can't remember it for the life of me. For the past two years all flowers have been looking the same.

Yet, this flower has true colors!


"Alex, how did you...?" I inquire, fingering the petals lightly.


"I just happened to notice it a few minutes ago and I thought I should tell you." He replies.


I look at the flower and into his eyes. They are starting to go more green than grey. Maybe, just maybe, the apocalypse is ending.


The author's comments:
bear with me that this is my first work on here so I understand if it's not that good. but I am open for suggestions! ?