Tragic endings | Teen Ink

Tragic endings

By Undread SILVER, Weir, Kansas
Undread SILVER, Weir, Kansas

"Rise and rise again until lambs become lions."

Running from the carnage that my hometown had become, something had been striking fear into everyone who lived in our small town. Killing anyone in his or her wake. There was not a single person that lived to pass on any details of what was wrecking this havoc.
As a guard of this town, I found it my duty to find out whom it was that was doing this and end it. The other guards have dropped their swords and ran into hiding, to afraid to rise up against this monster and protect our people. Thoughts interrupted by faint screams from behind me and I’m off chasing after them hoping I could make it in time. Ducking old signs that probably should have been repaired and being careful not to bump into anything, that would give me away. I’ve run down three blocks before the screaming ends.

Exhausted, I find a good place to sit on a trashcan outside of an old building and listen for anything else. Concentrating as hard as I could make out the faint sobs of someone from across the street. In that direction was a small building that may have been a diner, which looked like it had been hit by a tornado, although all the buildings do now. Slowly I creep across the street and the sobs get louder. Making my way to the back I find my way to the back door. I’m inside…

As soon as I walk in there’s shelves and a desk all on the ground some stuck because of the lack of room for them to fall, however there was still a good amount of room to move around in. Seemed like they had fallen as if to clear the center of the room. Everything else was bare, and then noticing the stairs beside the door that I had just entered not seconds ago. Starting up the steps, I could feel my skin crawl and the hair on my neck stand as I noticed the sobs to begin again.

Each door I passed had the potential to house those that I have been hunting or to my luck some that have not been found and slaughtered yet. Three doors down the sobs were loud enough to think that one was standing right next to the problem. The last set of doors, looking to the right one first half expecting to see someone yet it was empty. Dreading the moment I begin to turn my head to the left, it felt like the weight of the world was crashing down on me. Leaning against the wall I prepare myself drawing my sword and making sure that my armor was on correctly, I’m ready.

Leaning in at first I see nothing then notice a tiny figure lurking over something, this thing could be no larger than a large dog. Entering I ask, “Are you ok?” my voice incredibly shaky. No response but a little jerk of his head. Gaining a little bit of confidence I ask again with more sturdiness than before “Hey, you ok?” As if in response he flicks his head at me and charges, the first thing I notice is the huge yellow eyes noticing this thing wasn’t human at all I prepare myself as it leaped through the air, swinging my sword I caught it in mid flight, with a huge gash in it’s twisted jackal like face a pool of dark blood quickly poured onto the floor.

Gasping for air as I realize I had been holding my breath, I sit down to regain it and think of what had just happened. What was that? Remembering the thing had not been alone when I had looked in, I look over and the figure on the ground was motionless, as I crept closer small features were revealed, it had been a small girl. Some of her limbs were missing and her stomach had been ripped open revealing her intestine and inner organs, some half eaten. Feeling nothing but sympathy for the small girl a quick prayer crosses the thoughts of my mind.

Looking outside, I notice a figure on the roof of a house a few buildings over garbed in a black robe that covered this person from head to toe so that not a single feature could be seen. As he began to turn one couldn’t help but notice the huge bone white sword he held in his right hand, still stained with blood. With a flick of his wrist a shocking pain that hit me like lightning replaced this moment of wonder and fear. Pined to the wall that was opposite the window by this man’s blade that just moments ago I was so entranced by, was now buried in my stomach and the wall behind.

He still stood were he had been all that time for what felt like eons but then one second he was there and the next he was walking through the barbaric whole in the wall, so massive it was. Walking so quietly above the debris it took me a few moments to notice his approach. Once a arms length away he lay his hand on the blade and simply tugged it free of were it held me and began walking away as I fell to the cold debris covered floor. Was this how I would die? Left to bleed to death, then blackness.

I wrote this awhile back, haven't looked it it since then.

SageSin GOLD said...
SageSin GOLD, Oaklawn, Illinois

"Accept everything about yourself. I mean everything. You are you, and that is the beginning and the end; No apologies, no regrets."

This is quite the creepy story I love it! the twists turns and the character traits present are exciting I this coudl really be a seris! (did that cross your mind?) why not look at yit? too gruseome?  I like the plot too the winding and what do you call theses inhuman things? ////,...,^ FANGS SAYS: GRUSOME FOR THE WIN!

AjitN BRONZE said...
AjitN BRONZE, Pune, Other

"I may just a drop in the ocean of mankind, but if I can make its waters sweeter, where else can I such pleasure find?" - Original.

Hi, could please take a look at my work? (The Angel at the window)

Thanks a ton

Tipton112 said...
thats awsome dude  i thought it was pretty good

TeenageMutantNinjaAngel BRONZE, Ossian, Indiana

"I believe in music the way some people believe in fairytales."

i really like this, great job!

Undread SILVER said...
Undread SILVER, Weir, Kansas

lol thank you very much! :D

feirce said...
feirce, Altadena, California

"you wanna play?"

This is intense-awsome!

LeilaniLives PLATINUM, Fort Wayne, Indiana

"They say 'Life's two steps forward and one step back' - But what if I tripped and fell down the whole flight of stairs?"

I especially liked the ending like the writer above me. Yes, it's confusing, but it should be. That's why there should be More. No editing necessary, just another piece.

Undread SILVER said...
Undread SILVER, Weir, Kansas

Thanks!! :D 

_NoAir_ BRONZE said...
_NoAir_ BRONZE, Toronto, Other

There are as many ways to live as there are people in this world. Each one deserves a closer look.

–Golly (Harriet The Spy)

This is a very nice story, especially the ending. Luv it!

Undread SILVER said...
Undread SILVER, Weir, Kansas

<.< how is it confusing? I've showed this to a lot of people and your the first to say anything degrading it

Im a curious person :D

--LoveHappens--, Fairfield, Connecticut

"A friend is someone who knows you, but loves you anyway"

I LIKE THE STORY BEHIND IT BUT THE WRITING NEEDS SOME WORK BECAUSE IT IS VERY CONFUSING. I WOULD EDIT AND REVISE IT AND THEN IT WILL BE GREAT

I plan on checking and creeping, thanks. :D

Undread SILVER said...
Undread SILVER, Weir, Kansas

:D Ty, I started it with the intention of it being longer so maybe you'll see a part 2.

Gripping imagery quite spectacularly placed through this short story! Will there be more to this? I encourage you to write something more to go along with this piece; I feel like there's so much more depth behind the scene. In a book, this could merely be chapter one. I enjoyed the sword use, verses the typical shot gun; again, this piece could be transformed into something so much more than it already is. Keep it up. :)