The Others | Teen Ink

The Others

By MayaElyashiv PLATINUM, Ramat Hasharon, Other
MayaElyashiv PLATINUM, Ramat Hasharon, Other

There is, according to scientists, one rule about dreams. Nobody ever dreams that they die. Never. However, according to another source, most people dream at least once in their life that they are dying. It will most likely be the last dream they ever have, but it is possible. And that is exactly what happened to me. Except, it wasn’t my last dream. Far from it. It was the first real dream I ever had.

After that dream, everything changed. Including all the things that are never supposed to change. Such as gravity’s ability to keep me on the ground. Some things didn’t change so much as they opened up for me. One of the doors that were unlocked by that fateful dream was mind reading. Not like in the stories, where the said mind reader can somehow hear what the other person is thinking in words. I can feel the other’s thoughts.

It can be described as an extremely elevated sense of empathy, although I personally tend to avoid portraying it as such. Not that I have ever told anyone about it. So actually, it would be more correct to say I avoid having to illustrate it to people. Period. But I like to think that if I were to tell someone about it, I would focus more on the colors that I see, not the feelings. I learn more about the person if I look at the colors they associate with different circumstances than if I were to only think about the feelings. For instance, almost everyone has felt frustration. But only a few “feel” purple during those times.

I am the only one of my kind who can mind-read. Tessa, who is able to slip in to a human’s dreams and interpret what the dream’s meaning is, has one of the talents closest to mine. However, her talent works only with humans, and I can feel anyone. Well, anyone except myself. I’ve tried countless times, but I can’t see my colors. All I get is a dull gray. I don’t know if it means something is wrong with the way I think, or if fully realizing yourself is unachievable. It is possible, after all, to know yourself too well. The people who do can’t stand themselves anymore. They become madmen.

This is the prologue to a book I'm in the middle of writing...I'll start posting chapters soon, if anyone reads this :P

on Jun. 28 2010 at 11:33 am
Thank you!

on Jun. 28 2010 at 11:04 am
Inherinerd GOLD, Ashland, Ohio

A word to the wise ain't nessecary it's the stupid ones that need the advise

Oh my goodness!!!! This is amazing i love the originality!! So good i'm about to go read the other two chapters now!!!!

_Mags_ SILVER said...
_Mags_ SILVER, Somewhere, North Carolina

- I stare danger in the face and giggle
- Never argue with an idiot, people might not know the difference
-R.A.P (Retards Attempting Poetry)
-Tip Cologne ryhmes with alone

Awesome!! Oh haha, i'm writing a book with the exact same title. :))

on Jun. 13 2010 at 10:16 am
I will. This is the first story I've stuck too for more than five pages (I'm up to 27 now). 

on Jun. 13 2010 at 9:55 am
HidingBoy SILVER, Hartsdale, New York

The lord is near to all who call on him, to all who call on him in truth. -Ashrei

That was amazing! You've got talent. Post more chapters please.

on Jun. 4 2010 at 12:13 am
Thanks! I posted the first chapter yesterday night; hopefully it will be up soon!

Authorgal98 GOLD, Frankort, Illinois

"Let your mind sart a journey through a strange new world..."

Lovely! Please post chapters!

Oh! Thank you! 

OhSnapple GOLD said...
OhSnapple GOLD, Concord, New Hampshire
I meant give them some interesting information about the plot of the actual book part, so that they have, and want, to keep reading :)

Thank you! 

First: Thanks!

Second: I actually thought the last line was pretty intriguing, myself...what, in your mind, would make it more interesting? 

Third: Thank you for commenting :D

OhSnapple GOLD said...
OhSnapple GOLD, Concord, New Hampshire
This is a really cool idea i liked :) You want to end the prologue with the reader wanting to keep reading (give them something to think about, or a question, so that they have to keep reading to find the answer) 

thats.about.it. BRONZE, Las Vegas, Nevada

I was the kid next door's imaginary friend. -Emo Phillips

oh! this was pretty good! write more soon please:)

--LoveHappens--, Fairfield, Connecticut

"A friend is someone who knows you, but loves you anyway"

wow i loved that the topic is great. I like the color thing I think it is interesting it reminds me of A Mango Shape Space by Wendy Mass but I really enjoyed that and would love to read more