The Tea Party | Teen Ink

The Tea Party

By HannahS. SILVER, Fort Collins, Colorado
HannahS. SILVER, Fort Collins, Colorado

"Poetry is meant to be read aloud"
I can't remember where I read this but it is the truth of the matter.

The water was at knee level now, and it was still rising. It spilled out from the sinks and poured down the side of the tub. The washing machine was filled up to the rim and the dishwasher leaked. Water gushed from all the taps and all the drains were clogged with stoppers and the hair and gunk that comes from years of living.

The roof leaked into teacups, each drop splashing a little more over the edge. The table was set up for a tea party, with little cups and saucers and dainty cakes. There were cucumber sandwiches cut into triangles and silver spoons filled with tiny puddles.

At the table sat a girl, her dress clinging to her, her wide brimmed hat flopping in her eyes. She drank from a yellow teacup with her pinky out and sat with her ankles crossed. Her feet were clad in white socks with lacy cuffs, she wore no shoes. They were discarded in the corner, floating with ladles and a little side table that was missing its plant.

As the water rose the skirt of her dress billowed out around her. The lights flickered, seeming to imitate the lighting outside the window. As the room fell dark that girl set her cup down on the precariously floating table. She stood up, the water sloshing about her waist, and addressed the empty room. “What a lovely tea party.”

HannahS. SILVER, Fort Collins, Colorado

"Poetry is meant to be read aloud"

Thanks so much. I'm really glad you enjoyed it.

As far as where i got this idea from, i read a book on literary anaysis and one chapter was one flood scenes and this just kind of came to me.

Again, thanks for reading.

NeverCaredForKool-Aid GOLD, Elkridge, Maryland

I don't believe in hell but I believe in my parent's couch-- Watsky

... a little weird, but I liked it! :)  It sounded like one of thise scenes in a book where they have the creepy character do somethign toally insane, just to show the reader how wacko they are.  How in the world did you come up with this?

Anyway, I liked your description on the place, everythign was nice and detailed, but no overly so.  My favorite part was when you had her dress 'billow', that's a really cool word.

Can you chekc out my story, "Encounter"?