My Mommy Leaving | Teen Ink

My Mommy Leaving

September 29, 2010
By iluvnacho PLATINUM, Somewhere, Colorado
iluvnacho PLATINUM, Somewhere, Colorado
28 articles 1 photo 67 comments

Favorite Quote:
\"Find the beauty in the ugly\"-Jason Mraz 5-19-10
\"Be kinder than nessicary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.\" Unknown 11-29-10


"Mommy." I whimpered, my breath an opaque mist in the night. My mother grimped my hand even harder, hurriedly running down the sidewalk. My five year old legs struggled to keep place with hers; I remembered the cold snow filling my shoes alot. Finally, we came to an alley, my mother's footsteps more frantic than ever.
"Luna." She exhaled, her blue eyes glazed. Desperatly confused, I listened to her. She softly instructed me to snuggle in between a dent in the concrete wall; little did I know, this was a hiding place. She had me hug my kness and repeated many times to stay as quiet as possible. By now, my heart was thumping wildly in my veins. Tossing quick short glances behind her back, my mother leaned closer to me.
"Luna, you stay here." She firmly demanded, though tears were running down her cheeks. Tears filled my own eyes and my whole entire body was shaking; it had nothing to do with the bitter cold."Do you understand me, Luna? Stay here no matter what." I nodded, my nose dripping. Her blue eyes were pained beyond description, though I couldn't tell at five years old. Now that I look back, I also remember she was biting her lip frequently."A man, named Ares will be here in a while. Trust him, sweetie." I nodded once more, my head full of confusion and sorrow that I couldn't explain. My mom weakly smiled before she hugged me, her dirty brown hair tickling my cheeks."I love you Luna. I'll always be with you."
"I love you too, Mommy." I cried, my whole body trembling violently. And with that said, my mom hurried down the alley, her shuffling footsteps dying away. I waited, hugging my knees and quietly weeping. In the distance I heard screams and felt the rumble of the ground as bombs were dropped off. It frightened me very much to be alone, especially with bombs. Usually, I didn't mind, but now with mother gone, terror bleached my blood. My lips began to shake, and for a while, I debated if I should sneak out of my hiding spot. But my mother's words held me back, despite my rising fear and creeping coldness. Suddenly, I heard more muffled footsteps. I stopped breathing, my mind frozen.
"Luna?" A hoarse whisper called out in the darkness. My body tensed."It's me, Ares." More footsteps coming my way. Abruptly a face met my own.
His features were highlighted by the dim streetlamp. He was a man, about in his early twenties. His shaggy brown hair almost covered his hazel eyes, which were framed by heavy dark circles. I flinched away from the man, more tears slipping down my cold cheeks. Pity swarmed the man's features, his smile dissipearing."Don't worry, I won't hurt you." He tenderly soothed, reaching a tan hand out towards me. I huddled back in my hiding space even more, heart thrashing in my rib cage.
"Where's my mommy?" I asked, my voice shaky. The man struggled for an answer, his face twisting as his mouth opened and closed multiple times.
"She's not here right now." He meekly answered, averting his eyes from my own. More tears.
"I want my mommy!" I sobbed loudly. The man lifted his hands up in surrender.
"I know, I know, but you can't have her now. I'm, I'm sorry." The man tried to explain. I staered at him blankly, not comprehanding."I'm Ares. You can have me." My eyebrows twisted in anger.
"I don't want you, I want my mommy!" I screamed.
"Shh! Shh1" Ares anxiously said, trying to calm me down.
"I know, I know! But she's gone. I'm sorry Luna." All I can remember besides the horrible revelation is Ares' soothing words of comfort. My Mommy was gone.