Faced With the End of the World: Chapter 1 | Teen Ink

Faced With the End of the World: Chapter 1

December 15, 2010
By Arachno GOLD, Boise, Idaho
Arachno GOLD, Boise, Idaho
13 articles 1 photo 8 comments

Favorite Quote:
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, or fabulous?


I have the power to control the world and all mankind; I have the power to destroy the earth; but it is my honor and my duty…to lead it.

--Calcifer Wyatt


When I was born a scorpion, I realized how much power I had to destroy; I could sting, claw, and bite, but the blinders were not taken off my eyes until a while later.
My name is Calcifer Wyatt. My parents always told me: when I was mad, a tornado happened. When I was sad, it rained. When I was happy, the sun came out.
I was not consciously able to control the weather until one stormy morning at church. I will tell you this story.
I was standing on the floor of the church (our church had no pews) listening to the sermon on Christ’s birth while rain poured outside. Then, the moth that played the organ walked up to the three keyboards and started to play. The deep echoing sound of the pipe organ was in the form of a familiar Christmas title, and I knew what we were about to sing.
“Hark!” the herald angels sing, “Glory to the newborn king!”
“Peace on earth and mercy mild, God and sinners reconciled.”
“Joyful all ye nations rise! Join the triumph of the skies!”
With angelic hosts proclaim, Christ is born in Bethlehem!
“Hark!” the herald angels sing, “Glory to the newborn king!”
By the second verse, I was so into the carol that I didn’t realize what was going on outside. The clouds disappeared and the sun came out. I did not notice this until I saw everything bathed in colored light. I looked up at the big, circular stained glass window at the front of the church, and it was glimmering as if sunlight was shining through it. I thought this was impossible, since just a few seconds before, the sky had been dark. But as soon as I stopped singing, the clouds came back again and covered the sun.
Then, I had it. I could control the weather by will. As soon as the sermon was dismissed, I rushed outside and stood next to a tree. (Oh, and by the way, trees are massive, towering structures to us bugs.) I closed my eyes and felt a surging power run from my heart to my claws, and then suddenly, a lightning bolt big enough to kill several humans, let alone insects and arachnids, shot from the sky and hit the tree.
It was the most overpowering experience probably no living creature on the earth had ever felt. Holding that much energy in your body is awesome, but terrifying…

To be continued…


The author's comments:
I once had this dream about a scorpion that could control the weather. I just had to make it a story, so I did!