In the Gnome's Eyes | Teen Ink

In the Gnome's Eyes

December 30, 2010
By Izzzy BRONZE, Jacksonville, Florida
Izzzy BRONZE, Jacksonville, Florida
3 articles 0 photos 5 comments

Favorite Quote:
Take nothing but pictures.
Leave nothing but footprints.
Kill nothing but time.

- Motto of the Baltimore Grotto, a caving society


Mr. Knott padded down his stairs in his plush blue slippers and brown stripped robe. His hair was slightly mused, stating the fact he just woke-up.
The house was quiet, even Triple, the family’s dog, was asleep on his bed next to his wife, as usual.
Following his routine, he whistled a tune and brewed some coffee. It didn’t take long before Mr. Knott was sipping the black brew with a bit of cinnamon.
He opened the large doors of is home, and gazed down the street at the other houses. Birds tweeted in annoyance as he sat down on the white bench, next to the hand-made birdhouse.
“Hello Mr. Knott!” chirped a voice next to him. Mr. Knott glanced next to him and saw the porcelain face of Oliver, the gnome.
“Hello Oliver. Lovely day, huh?” he said.
It had been six months since Oliver had ‘come alive’ and they had met. It took three months for Mr. Knott to get over the shock. Since then, Oliver and he had become good friends.
“Yes… nice” Oliver said nervously with a second of hesitation. Mr. Knott shot him a look.
“What is it Oliver?” He asked. The little gnome hesitated again, staring at Mr. Knott’s coffee.
“I have something to tell you. I’ve been watching your house. Your family.” He paused to scratch his head. “Your…… your wife, um, she wasn’t at a meeting last night.” He rambled quickly. Mr. Knott opened and closed his mouth.
“Where was she?” Mr. Knott whispered.
“With Dale. She drove down and parked outside my house,” He pointed to his home three houses down, “and this man picked her up. When they came back she got in her car and drove back. They- they kissed. I’m sorry Mr. Knott.” Oliver mumbled, staring at his red overalls.
Mr. Knott felt like Earth slowed down around him. His mug fell out of his hand and shattered on the grass. Boiling coffee seeped through his slipper. He didn’t flinch though, or at least he didn’t think he did.
Dale was his boss! How dare they!
“There are other things, too. Cody, your son, isn’t in football. He got the lead in the school musical. Also, Maggie, your daughter, has been stealing your money.” Oliver said.
Mr. Knott closed his eyes tightly, as if it was just a dream. But no, it wasn’t. He jumped up and ran inside.
****
The next morning, Mr. Knott strolled down the stairs with confidence of a king. Some extra boxes lay on the stairs that Kathy and Dale were picking up later. While brewing some coffee, he made banana pancakes for the kids. They were all in understanding now.
He set the steaming pile of pancakes on the table and picked up his new mug of coffee. He strolled outside the house and saw Oliver sitting on the bench.
“One more thing- Buster dug the holes, not Triple.” With that, he hopped of the bench and waddled back home.
Once there, he manned his mailbox, winked at Mr. Knott and froze.
That was the day Mr. Knott’s life he meant to live began.
That was the day he never saw Oliver again.
And that was the day he saw life from a new pair of eyes.


The author's comments:
Thank you for reading and I hope you like it! :)