A Creation Myth | Teen Ink

A Creation Myth

February 17, 2011
By ShaynaPhelps SILVER, Minneapolis, Minnesota
ShaynaPhelps SILVER, Minneapolis, Minnesota
7 articles 0 photos 25 comments

In the beginning there was Nothing. Nothing was blind, Nothing was deaf, and Nothing was mute. Suddenly with no warning a huge, fiery crack appeared in Nothing and Nothing was broken. Sound came racing out, like a banshee shriek, as loud as a blasting cannon. Light came bounding out next, huge, fiery, and blindingly white. Light and Sound became huge and filled the space around them. So strong was their joy of their freedom, that they grabbed each other’s arms and began an excruciating dance. Their arms and their legs flailed about in a wild fashion, and blood dripped from their brows. Loud crashes and booms rang all about them, a white fire engulfed them, and still they danced. Sparks began to fly outward spinning around them. The sparks became chaos and they began to chase each other in the most frightening manner. The sparks were alive also; they collided into one another nearly splitting the very fabric of being. If one were to look upon this sight it would have looked as if the only that existed was this fire.

Light and Sound looked about themselves in fascination as they danced, the sparks could no longer be called sparks, for they were taking on bodily forms such as Light and Sound. A long arm loomed suddenly at them and a body of the most exquisite beauty followed. The complexion of this body was as pale as our moon, and deathly beautiful. With such beauty and grace she leapt forth to Light and Sound and knelt upon her dainty knees. Light and Sound broke apart and stared with wonder at the beauty before them. They wondered was it them that had created such an angelic being. She smiled up at them and declared herself their daughter that she sprang forth from their joy and was now here to be loyal and true to them. Light and Sound knelt beside their daughter and embraced her. All the while the sparks were still flying

As they knelt beside their first born, many other beings began to take shape. Another beautiful face appeared, although with skin a golden bronze. She was shorter than the first daughter and full of roundness and curves, her cheeks were round and full as was her bust and hips. She seemed to glow; she aligned herself beside her sister and also knelt before her parents. Sound and Light exclaimed sounds of joy and enveloped her also. Something else began to form, this time a man, who was magnificent and handsome. He was the color of sun, his eyes were like warm chocolate and he had long golden curls, and when he smiled such rich light poured from his mouth, and he radiated heat. He too knelt with the sisters. Others knelt too, a second brother, whose was dark as night, with raven hair, and velvet skin, his eyes were intelligent and clever, he was smaller than the first three, just as beautiful, and very still and quiet, the depth of night contained within him. Two figures stood next, strong and beautiful, skin the palest blue; they carried smiles full of laughter, their skin looked hardened, like stone, and they were as graceful as the first child. They were male and female and looked very much alike. They were the tallest of the children. The next child was the smallest, with skin the color of leaves. She was slender and petite, although very strong. She carried a joy within her which bubbled through with her small, wild movements. Her laughter was sweeter than a child’s and stronger than an adult’s and she was also extremely beautiful. The last child was a son, wild and untamed, he was small also, but he could lift a mountain if his mood beckoned him to do so. He was brown and covered in wild hair. His hair fell from the crown of his head and raced over his body like a forest, covering his legs, chest, and arms, his face was the only untouched place. He looked ferocious and frightening, but his heart was made of loyalty and courage, and he was the most trust worthy of all the children, he too contained beauty although untamed beauty.

Sound and Light were at a loss of words seeing their children kneeling before them. Their faces so beautiful and strong, and minds so intelligent; Sound and Light clung to each other and wept tears of happiness. The children rose and joined hands and began to dance, such as their parents did before them. They spun round and round, kicking and sailing to and fro. Their minds free and bodies bound to the rhythmic beating of their feet. Colors weaving intricate patterns before the mother and father; wild and chaotic, so tragically beautifully they danced. With the heel of a foot dust began to swirl. The dust moved within the rhythm and magic of the dance and began to form strange and mysterious forms.

The forms began to clash violently against one another and a clanging thunder rang out, the children still danced, oblivious to the chaos. The forms stretched the space around them as they became more restless. As the dancing continued huge chunks of dust raced through and around the dance. As the chunks grew numerous and powerful, the immortal beings took heed of them. They watched as the very first stars were born, made of the dust of their heels. They stared in wonder as space took place around them, as if space were a stage, the stars and planets the props. They found themselves sitting in a strange place. It was as if the whole of space engorged itself until it was over five times the size it started as. The beings didn’t fill the space up as they did before, now they were small and gathered on something solid. The eldest child, with skin as pale as the moon, rose up and looked around. As she rose, a rustling filled the air; she breathed in sharply and collapsed. The others ran to her and tried to wake her. Her eyes fluttered open.

“I smell it, I smell myself here; this is my creation. This is mine.”

She got to her feet.

“Here I feel wonderful, as if something is surging in my veins. I belong here.”

She gazed around and saw other shapes and forms in the dark.

“We must have all created something, something that is ours.”

Her family glanced around in wonder.

“I am Luna” She declares suddenly, “I have created the moon, I must be a Goddess”

The Gods and Goddess then leapt from the moon as if tree frogs to find their creations. Each young God and Goddess found their creation.

“This is mine,” called the second eldest daughter, the round, beautiful one. “I am Terra, the Goddess of Earth”

Earth was close by to the moon and also close to a brilliant, huge, glowing orb that the first born son was calling from.

“I am Soli the God of the Sun.”

The twins, with the skin the color of water, went to Earth and found vast Seas, Oceans, Rivers, and Lakes that they had created. They were the God and Goddess of Water; their names were Aequoris and Pulvia. The green child also came to Earth and found the first life. The lives were the plants, she giggled with glee, because she was the Goddess of Plants, Pomi. The youngest son also followed his sister to Earth and found different forms of life, the animals of land and sea, he was the God Alis. With life came death, and the dark God knew what he had created, He was the God of Death, Nex.

It was the most alluring and delightful self-discovery in history, the beautiful children discovered they were Gods and Goddesses. They ruled with peace and gentleness. Luna created a palace city of the Gods on her moon, filled with gardens and beauty; it was a peaceful and restful place. Each God had homes in the palace city but Aequoris and Pulvia lived in the ocean, Pomi and Alis lived among the living things on Earth as did Terra, Soli lived upon the fiery gases of the sun, and Nex lived with Luna on the moon, because Luna built a beautiful heaven for the dead on her moon and Nex shepherded the animals there after their death. Light and Sound were also Gods, yet they ruled over nothing except their children. Light and Sound spent time equally upon Earth, the Sun and Moon.

There was prosperity and joy for the Gods. They soon felt something was missing though. They thoroughly discussed in colorful and eloquent debates in the City Of Gods what the missing piece to their eternal lives were and not one of them with their developed intelligences could discover what it was. They searched and searched to no avail. They soon became listless and mournful. Light and Sound came up with a solution. One night Light and Sound began to dance as they did in the beginning. They danced wildly and the blood began to fall from their scabbed feet as they drummed their feet, sparks began to fly once again, but this time Light and Sound stopped early. They waited eagerly, breathless, waiting to see if this will end their searching, to see if this creation will be the answer, The sparks began to create a form of life that looked part animal and part God, it was the first human, Light and Sound had created the first human; a human capable of thinking, of worshipping. The Gods had issued in a new time for themselves and the listlessness and mourning were over.


The author's comments:
This was a school assignment, in my World Religion study class.