The Cloud Children (Test Opening Chapter) | Teen Ink

The Cloud Children (Test Opening Chapter)

By americanteen97 SILVER, Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
americanteen97 SILVER, Harrisburg, Pennsylvania

It all started the morning we heard the shots. I was laying in my bed, on my laptop actually when the loudest blast I have ever heard shook the room. The small rat-a-tat-tats followed, never letting up, and I snuck a look out at the skyscraper stained landscape and saw a battle in midair. Two men, their faces contorted in pain and sweating, shooting at each other with guns, each barely missing the blasts of light that shot past their faces and bodies. Unfortunately, most of the shots landed on a house near ours, shaking the foundation of the house and the street. Things like this, surprisingly, were completely normal to me, so I soon fell back to sleep amid the profanities and blasts from somewhere above my head.

I live in Saragon City, in the outer districts. We’re a world that’s in the sky, one of the “cloud people” the name given to all of us living above the earthwalkers. I was born here to my mother and father, both who vanished one day and never came home. I have heard rumors they are dead and after 5 years, I have finally come to believe them to be true. I had lived here all my life among the crowded cluttered streets. We were not the vision of what all our ancestors have believed. Yeah we had robots, but many of them were destroyed in the recent war between our city and one of the other cloud cities. Only a few are left which mostly due manual labor or the ones that belong to the rich and famous. And there is very few of those. I live in a world where every day I walk outside and I nearly collide into people in the packed streets, in a world where I have seen people attacked or even murdered and a world where there seems to be no hope.

But I’ve ruffed it up. I should probably introduce myself. I’m Kyria. I’m around 15, just you’re plain old girl…well sorta. The main difference here is I could probably knock you off your butt in less then ten seconds flat. I know martial arts, and how to handle a weapon. On streets like these you gotta watch your back. So what if I’m not the smartest girl, or prettiest girl out there. I know how to survive in the real world.

You see, my city is mainly one giant wasteland, the old manufacturing capital of the whole cloud world. You still see kids running around the remains of long forgotten factories where we share jokes, dance, have parties, and trade stories….mainly about the underground people. The people who live in a world different than are own, and the ones below us on earth. The ones who vanished from us. Nobody knows if the stories and legends are true. The adults deny it, as they usually do, the few that are left now, but the younger ones, well we know the secrets. We are still old enough to believe.

We are the ones that would change the world.

I'm not sure what the response would be too this one. Like it? Yea or nay?
If so, expect to see this in the novel section.

yankiwikid said...
yankiwikid, Harrisburg, Pennsylvania

"All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them." -Walt Disney

hi!
anywayyy I thought it was really good. It makes me want to know more which of course is a good sign. Yeah if I type anymore I'm just gonna go on and on so that's all.

thanks so much! yeah, I'm sorry about that, I wanted to see where it would go. Guess I gotta get down to work on more!

on Jun. 15 2011 at 8:42 am
Odessa_Sterling00 DIAMOND, No, Missouri

All gave some, some gave all. -War Veterans headstone.

This was really good, even though it was short and ended to soon for me. (:  Keep writing.