Smoke | Teen Ink

Smoke

July 10, 2011
By MayB. SILVER, Rockdale, Georgia
MayB. SILVER, Rockdale, Georgia
6 articles 0 photos 5 comments

So there we were. In the middle of a streaming hot parking lot. Some loser had pulled the fire alarm. Then out of nowhere a strange man and a scaly beast appeared. They looked as if they were fighting. It looked like the reptile thing was winning. Then to my horror, the reptile ripped the man apart.

Everyone was screaming now. I thought I had lost my mind. I was sure I had when all of the teachers turned into greenish brown wart covered beasts. All of the other kids were screaming and running now. Maybe I wasn't crazy after all. I was about to start freaking out like everyone else when they all froze. I don't mean like they just stood still, I mean froze. Like they were all of a sudden covered in ice. I finally screamed.

As soon as I did I regretted it. Everything in that parking lot turned to look at me. Then I was being attacked. Something scratched my arm! It felt like I was being burned with acid. I looked down I and could swear my arm was fizzling. Then as soon as they all started piling on top of me I blacked out.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
When I woke up it was dark and I was still in the parking lot. The only difference was instead of being insanely hot, it was freezing cold. As I got up I saw a dark silhouette in the corner by one of the stores. At first I thought it was another one of those things that attacked me.

Then the shadow started to move toward me. I saw that it was a man. I wasn't sure what to do so I stumbled away from him as fast as I could. He put his hand in front of him, “I'm not going to hurt you. I want to help.” he says in a soft voice as he got closer. I stopped moving and stared at him as he got closer.

“Who are you?” I demanded.

“My name is Robert.” He says in that soft voice, “What is your name?”

I hesitate before answering, “Lucy.” I mumble looking at the cracks on the ground.

“Well, Lucy, do you know what's going on?” He asks.

“Of course not. I passed out.” I say looking up at him annoyed.

“Then let me explain.” He takes a deep breath. “The things you saw this afternoon were not from this world.” He began.

“Well obviously.” I say.

“They were not from this world.” He began again, “Let me explain this as easily as possible. After you passed out from the horror of it all, they killed everything on this planet.”

“Whoa! What do you mean by killed?” I ask panicking.

“When the man and the beast came it set off a chain reaction. If you hadn't passed out you would be dead too.” Robert said, trying to find the best way to explain.

“But the man was trying to stop that thing, wasn't he?” I ask in a whisper.

“Yes, Rick, the man, as my half brother. He was trying to stop the dragon, stop all of this.” He says waving his arms around.

“And you.” He says pointing at me, “You will stop this, stop the raid that the Lueze have already started.”

“Me?! What do you mean?” I shriek.

“Yes you. You were chosen, even before you were born. You must stop them at all costs.” He says calmly, like he's telling me he likes my hair or something.

“What am I going to do? I don't even know what the Hell is going on still, you haven't explained anything. Only made it worse.” I cry.

“It will all be explained. All in good time.” He responds in that calm soft voice, “But I will explain who the Lueze are.”

“Fine, go ahead and explain.” I say wrapping my arms around myself to keep warm.

“The Lueze are a group of...beings, lets say, from my planet. There only goal is to rule over everyone and everything. They want complete control of everything and they will stop at nothing to get it. You are the only thing that can stop them.”

“Okay, so the beast thing, and those other things were the Lueze?” I asked.

“They were only a small part of the Lueze, a very small part.” He says with a sigh, it sounds like it hurts him to admit it.

“So how am I supposed to stop them all. I'm human. I'm not from your planet or anywhere else like that.”

“Are you human, Lucy? Are you sure of that? Think haven't you always been different from everyone else?”

“But-” Before I had a chance to say anything else he continued.

“You're an orphan. Do you know who you're parents were, what they were?” He asked triumphantly.

“They died-” I start.

“Yes, they died. Do you know how they died? Do you know what killed them?” He finally stops and just looks at me, I wish he would go back to talking even though he had gotten his point across.

“Okay, so what am I?” I whisper in a hollow voice.

“You, Lucy, are the last hope.” He says like its no big deal.

I stumble back and away from him in a state of shock. Then I turned and ran. I ran as fast as I could for as long as I could. I forced myself not to see all the death and destruction that lay all around.

Tears ran down my face as I ran. After about an hour and a half I finally collapsed onto the broken pavement of a street I didn't know. I sat there and cried and sobbed for what seemed like hours. What was I going to do now?

It was about twenty minutes, when I was about to try to face facts, that I heard something. At first I thought it was Robert, then I thought it was a Lueze. So I freaked myself out before I even looked up.

When I did look up, I was so shocked I actually started laughing. I was sure I was hallucinating. Standing in front of me now was a guy. He was about my age and he was just staring at me. He looked scared to death. We stared at each other for a really long time, then he said, “You're alive, You are just sitting there alive and stuff.”

I just sat there a moment before realizing he was waiting for a response. From me.

“Yeah, I guess I am.” I say with a sigh.

Then out of thin air that guy, Robert, appears.

“Ah. Now that you two have met and spoken you can begin.” He says like this is totally normal.

The guy cries out in shock at Robert standing there. “Start what? What the Hell? Who are you? How did you do that?” He demanded all at once. “What's going on, everyone is dead. Why?”

Robert then starts to explain, with the same vagueness as with me. While he's doing that I try to make myself not look totally stupid, which is hard on a good day, so almost impossible now.

“So, what you're saying is that I, I mean we.” He corrects looking at me, “Have to stop the Lueze, before they do to the rest of everything what they did here.”

“That's exactly what I'm saying.” Robert says looking pleased, woo for him!

“Okay. So how are we going to do that if I don't even know his name?” I demand.

“Well, then ask him.” Robert responds, raising an eyebrow at me.

“My name is Nick.” He says looking at the ground, “Yours?”

“Lucy.” I respond.

“Well, if that's settled, there really is a great deal I must show you before you can begin.” He says rubbing his hands together.

“So, that's it? You'll show us some stuff then leave us on our own?” Nick asks looking a bit pissed.

“I'll be able to assist you, but I doubt you;ll need me much.” He explains.

“How could we not need you?” I asked surprised, “You're the one that knows about all this s***. We don't know a damn thing.”

Nick nods.

“With your powers,” He looks at me, “And with your strength and knowledge.” He looks at Nick.

“This is too weird.” Nick mumbles rubbing his head.

“Yeah? Well, you weren't there when those things turned from people I've known my entire life into those monsters.” I say bitterly.

“I would trade that any day for what I saw.” He says glaring at me, I glared right back, “Try watching your whole family tortured and murdered while you watch.”

I can't respond to this because I don't even want to imagine something like that.

“Now shall we begin?” Robert asks, I wonder if he was getting annoyed.

“Here?” Nick asks shocked, I was already sort of getting used to it.

“As good a place as any.” Robert shrugs, “Now, Lucy, if you would please turn that into a tree. Yes, that would be a good start.” He muses to himself.

“Turn it into a what? I can't do that. Are you f***ing insane?” I yell.

“Please. Just focus. Now look at that car. Good, now think of a tree. Focus.”

Then, in front of my eyes, the car turns into a huge pine tree. I scream in shock, Nick stumbles back, but Robert just smiles.

“Very good. Now, Nick, would you go get that tree and bring it here?”

He stares at Robert, then shrugs and walks over to the tree. He bends down and, getting a good grip on it, pulled the whole damn tree up and brought it over to where Robert was.

“These are just minor displays of the power you both posses. Power that must be used to stop the Lueze and save everything.” Robert says calmly.

“What exactly is everything?” Nick asks nervously.

“Many, many planets, solar systems, and universes. Much to many to count.”

“Great. No pressure, though, right?” I say dryly.

“I won't lie to you, this will be extremely difficult. It may even seem impossible at times, but it must be done.”

“And what if we can't do it? What if we fail? Then what happens?” Nick demands.

“You must! There is no other way.” Robert replies shocked, “Now I must leave you. You will need shelter, food and water before you sleep so I'll let you be.” Then he vanishes.

“He didn't actually answer your questions did he?” I ask Nick.

He just shakes his head, “I guess we need to find that shelter, food, and water don't we?”

“Yeah,” I sigh, “I guess we do.”

“Can't you just, like, you know, turn the grass into it?” He asks, tired.

“I hadn't really thought about it,” I mumble, “But I guess I could.”

“Okay, so how do you do it?”

“I have no f***ing idea. I guess I'll just have to figure it out.”

“Maybe you should just focus, like Robert said.” He suggests.

I nod. Then stare at the grass. As we watch it turns into a pepperoni pizza, ice cream, chocolate, and burgers.

“Wow! This is great! How about some soda?” Nick asks grabbing a burger.

So I make a few drinks. Then I sit down and start shoving pizza down my throat. I hadn't realized how hungry I was. Nick sits down across from me and we eat everything except for the chocolate, then we stare at it for a long moment. Then I lean over and grab a huge piece and take a bite. Nick does the same. We eat the whole thing.

“Oh.” I moan, “I ate too much. This sucks.” I grab my stomach, “The after taste of chocolate sucks.”

Nick makes a groaning sound and rolls over laughing at me.

“It's not funny!” I moan back.

“Can't you make the food in our stomachs and the chocolate after taste, like disappear or something?” Nicks asks hopefully.

“Ew, what if it reappears on the pavement or something?” I ask horrified.

Nick just stares at me in horror for a minute, then, “It's sad you actually thought of something so horrible.”

I laugh, “Well, it could! Then what would you do?” I demand.

“I would throw up the non-existing food out of my stomach.” He says like it should be obvious.

“Or what if I remove the wrong thing? Your kidneys, or liver, or lungs, or something.”

“Then, I would throw you to France.”

“I always wanted to visit Paris.”

We both laugh until we're on our backs, crying, and gasping for air.


Finally Nick says, “I can't feel my own ass, I'm so cold. Holy s***, wasn't it like in the hundreds earlier today?”

“Yeah, but that was before all of this, you moron.” I say with a disappointed sounding sigh trying not to laugh.

He throws one of the left over burgers at me and it hits me square in the chest with a thud. Then we're rolling on the ground laughing and throwing burgers at each other.

But as happy as I was a second ago I start to cry, I can't even explain it, despair just washed all over me like wind over a tree. I bury my face in my hands and start to sob uncontrollably, shaking all over. Nick comes and sits next to me, he puts his hand on the small of my back and doesn't say or do anything.

Then after like ten minutes I finally manage to pull myself together.

“This will be okay, Nick, right?” I ask looking up at him.

He looked back down at me and shakes his head, “I was about to ask you the same thing.”

After another minute or tow. I stand up. I wipe my eyes on my jean jacket's sleeves, then brush the dust off my pants. I look around as Nick does the same.

Once he does that he starts to tap his chin, “Shelter, shelter shelter? What are we supposed to do for shelter?” He muses to himself.

“Here, what about this?” I ask tentatively as I wave my hand and make a few far away trees turn into two small tents.

“Yeah, that will work just fine.” Nick says as he stares at the tents.

“Okay. Good night.” I say, then head to the one on the far right.

“Yeah, good night to you too.” Nick says as he heads to the other tent.

I curl up and before I know it I'm sound asleep.


The author's comments:
Ummm, yeah this is chapter one.