Daring to fly | Teen Ink

Daring to fly

January 1, 2012
By wistfuldaydreamer12 BRONZE, Reddich, Other
wistfuldaydreamer12 BRONZE, Reddich, Other
3 articles 0 photos 4 comments

Last night I dreamt I could fly. Who doesn't? I think most people have had that dream. The only difference is for me that dream could come true.

I have a secret that apart from my family no one knows. You’re going laugh if I tell you. Will you believe me? I doubt it but im going to tell you anyway my secret is that I have wings, dark glossy black wings sprouting from the middle of my back. I am a freak of nature. In theory having wings is mysterious and probably something you would see in a teen fantasy film but in reality it’s a bit annoying. I have to cut holes in all of my clothes and for school I have to curl them up under my shirt. Imagine sitting in the lotus position all day and you get the idea. Every Monday I get changed in the toilets where no one can see me for PE and then get changed again to go to Spanish. Today I didn’t change back.

“Today is so boring at the moment school just feels like a constant cycle of work” Cathy my best friend complained to me I nodded not really listing. I was distracted today in PE we were doing the long jump I hated the long jump, leaping into the air knowing you could easily fly up into the sky but having to plummet back down was personal torture for me. Why cant I fly I shouldn’t have to hide who I am. I know the answer if anyone else knew they would lock me up and dissect me. It’s my turn now my hands are sweating as I start to run. Thump, Thump, Thump, Thump for every beat of my heart I take another step. I Jump I cant take another minute im soaring into the chilly January sky as my wings burst out of my shirt tearing the soft fabric to shreds and unfurling in the wind. Luckily my top stayed on as my wings flapped gracefully. Then I was


Off flying up away from the school and the shocked looks of the people below, up past buildings and trees, up into the clouds my school, town villiage, my old life is just a dot now. I can’t believe it im actually flying gliding through the sky my hands trying to touch the end tips of the clouds If I go any higher I will be engulfed wet fog. Clouds are not as dreamy when you’re up there. A plane Is going by for a moment I don’t know what to do so I just wave stupidly then I realise I could be sucked into the plane and die. I dive down; only a little girl noticed she and me just waved back. When you’re a kid these thing are not that impossible. Im diving down, futher and further the wind whipping threw my hair. Now im level with the streetlights inside a building I can see a women eating her lunch the bread just touches her lips before she catches sight of me and just by that one glance she is frozen. I laugh at her face. She just looks so shocked I don’t normally do anything shocking I don’t punch people when im angry or wear really weird cloths I guess having wings is more shocking though. Where am I? Then I see it the giant clock I swoop up for a closer look its big Ben im in London! Bang I turn in the air shocked what was that? Bang, bang, bang It’s a gun! Its hit my my wing I spiral down back to earth like a broken plane all I can feel is pain but my mind is full of questions. Why would someone shoot me? I was just flying? Exactly I was the girl with wing who had dared to fly i was differnt and no one is allwed to be differnt. I crashed down at the entrance of Westminster cathedral. My eyes where blurred with tears but I could see the flashing of the cameras and people with hungry eyes. Somone stood in front of me I looked up to see the face of the archbishop of century. The flashing cameras behind me where waiting for an explanation so it was completely silent as the archbishop declared, “An angel has fallen, the girl who dared to fly.”