Angelic | Teen Ink

Angelic

By Dmokk SILVER, Marietta, Georgia
Dmokk SILVER, Marietta, Georgia

My name is Jack; I’m fourteen years old and a member of the health-group. The following story is top secret, you can’t tell anyone, not even your parents. There are some things in this life that people just don’t understand because they’re endless. The two most troublesome types of endlessness, Monster’s and Immortality and they always are in pairs like that. When people find something they don’t understand they just pretend not to see it. The members at the health-group are here to make sure that immortal monsters never interfere with the lives of humans and that humans never see the Monsters.

You’re probably wondering how a health group could possibly stop monsters. In reality, “health” stands for Heaven’s and “group” stands for Guardians. I am one of these guardians; in fact, I’m the youngest guardian to ever come out of the pearly gates. Guardians are like the apprentices of the Angels and we’re the ones that take down all of the lesser monsters until we’re ready to be angels. That’s where I come in, I hope your ready, and remember, no telling.

*

*

*

Wind howled ferociously around me as I walked the old stone roads of the seemingly deserted town. My footsteps echoed eerily throughout the town. A light rain danced around in the sky and sent miniature knives of icy water into my face and made me squint. I walked to the edge of the town where the buildings were all very spread out.
A crooked church sat alone in the middle of a grain field. The church steeple stood silhouetted black against the bright contrast of the moon. The grain swept back and forth like waves. In front of the church was an old decrepit graveyard with tombstones strewn around. It looked like a scene out of horror story, the perfect place for a monster to hide.

I walked up to the heavy door of the church and when I pulled on it, it fell right of its hinges with a loud bang. Oh, very sneaky. I thought to myself, I might as well have sent a flare up and yelled “Hey monster! I’m here to kill you.” I waited for the inevitable sound of the monster charging down the hall to start the fight for me but instead I just waited there looking like an idiot for what must have been twenty minutes. I decided it had been long enough and stepped over the broken door. As I stepped through the doorway a wave of heat nearly knocked me over.

I walked by tapestry after tapestry depicting different holy scenes. The heat was nearly overwhelming. I spun around, sensing a presence; I saw a lump behind a tapestry showing baby Jesus. A pair of dirty Nike high-tops stuck out of the bottom of it.

“Hey!” I yelled, “Come outta there.”

“Leave this place. NOW!” screeched a voice that would’ve scared St. George himself.

“Uh. How about no,” I said with an edge.

“As you wish young guardian, but know that this will be your DOOM!” With that, the bump behind the tapestry disappeared with a great whoosh.

That was weird. I thought to myself. It was time to move on. I hadn’t noticed but the heat had risen nearly ten degree’s and there was a loud rumbling that sounded uncomfortably like breathing. I walked cautiously down the hallway. A raspy voice stopped me right in my tracks.

“Turn back hero, I have no quarrel with you and I wish not to kill,” rumbled a voice that obviously hadn’t been used for hundreds of years.

I thought about fighting and a two-foot sword made completely of light materialized in my hand. It was transparent but at the same time solid.

“Sorry but it’s your time,” I said as I raised my sword. Experience gave me confidence enough not to run away right now. This was, after all, my last monster to fight as a Guardian…hopefully.

“Prepare to be melted puny mortal,” rumbled the voice as a thirty-foot Dragon stood and made the whole church crumble. All that was left was the fifteen-foot tall stained glass wall. The immense black dragon stretched its wings out and focused its blood red eyes on me. I have to admit, I really wanted to turn around and run but I knew I couldn’t.

“You have awoken me from my slumber, youngling, prepare to die!” the obsidian dragon bellowed and opened it vast maw. Its’ mouth began to turn red and then white. I realized what was happening a moment before it did. Molten flame erupted around my body. Smoke spun around the room cloaking everything. The dragon started to laugh, a low, horrible cackle.

“Why so happy?” I asked as I walked out of the smoke, holding a shield made purely of light, my hair smoking. “Welcome to Sunday School! Class is in session!”

“Haven’t I killed you yet? Eh, no matter. You will die now.” He poured another column of fire towards my direction. I rolled out of the way and the dragon poured more fire, I rolled again and this time ran in to stab the dragon, my sword bounced harmlessly off it’s steel like armor. Oh no, what am I going to do, I thought in a panic. I looked back up at the dragon; its eyesight must be horrible because it was spinning its head around looking for me in all of the rubble. I saw a red line that circled the dragon’s neck, a strip of unprotected skin; it was my only chance. Smoke billowed around me, cloaking me from the dragon. I ran to the stained glass and began to climb; I needed to very high, very fast. The dragon was crouching now so it was only fifteen feet tall.

“Come out, come out little rabbit. I won’t hurt, I just want to eat you,” the great black dragon said, laughing the whole time.

“Tough luck pal, I’m not going to die, you are,” I said as I reached the top of the glass wall. My arms felt weak and my legs were shaking. I hadn’t notice, but we had been fighting for nearly thirty minutes straight. As I looked back and forth from my sword to the dragon, I realized that it wouldn’t be big enough. I made my sword and shield disappear and thought about a weapon big enough for the task ahead of me. I had to think fast. Come on. Come on. Think! Think! Ah, I’ve got it. A huge two-handed sword materialized at my feet. I picked it up excitedly, it was lighter than I expected. It was finally time, time for me to be an angel!

“Hey pal, over here!” I yelled. The dragon turned toward my voice, but didn’t seem to see me. Its senses must have really dulled.
“Where are you, little rabbit?” the dragon rumbled with great relish.
“Up here! Oh and I forgot to mention…” I said as I jumped into the air with sword raised. “CLASS DISMISSED!” I yelled as my body soared downward.

I hope you all like it!

Mem712 BRONZE said...
Mem712 BRONZE, Pensacola, Florida
1 article 0 photos 1 comment
it was very descriptive and had a great plot. Loved it!!!

Dmokk SILVER said...
Dmokk SILVER, Marietta, Georgia
Hey everyone, when you view my articles could you please also rate and comment? thanks!

Dmokk SILVER said...
Dmokk SILVER, Marietta, Georgia
if you liked my other articles, you might like my poem : blue hope, or my soon to come poem, The Boom Box, and if you'r a kid from tasks, or another one of my friends, tell other people to come rate please!

taco said...
Ask the cat.

Dmokk SILVER said...
Dmokk SILVER, Marietta, Georgia
who are you taco?

taco said...
Loved the ending...keeps you guessing!

Jalkan said...
All of you articles are great. Keep doing what you're doing!

Dmokk SILVER said...
Dmokk SILVER, Marietta, Georgia
Thanks a lot!!, have you read Gray in Charleston yet?

Dmokk SILVER said...
Dmokk SILVER, Marietta, Georgia
Thanks so much!!!! i hope one of mine gets in

PoetryMaster BRONZE, Ottawa, Other

-A bird does not sing because it has an answer; it sings because it has a song.
- We make a living by what we get; we make a life by what we give
- The summit of happiness is reached when a person is ready to be what he is.

the description is so vivid :) really like it :D

stardreamer SILVER, Flemington, New Jersey
i love the intro! great work! I also like the title :) short and sweet

Dmokk SILVER said...
Dmokk SILVER, Marietta, Georgia
i hope all of you guys like(d) it and please rate and comment as much as you want, please be constructive though