Colorblind | Teen Ink

Colorblind

February 22, 2012
By ValkyrieRising BRONZE, Cary, North Carolina
ValkyrieRising BRONZE, Cary, North Carolina
4 articles 0 photos 5 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Pirates could happen to anyone."


People say morality exists in shades of gray. I think it exists in reds and greens. Both have their positive and negative aspects, each stronger and weaker in different forms. In an ideal society, most people could distinguish between them. Today is Good Friday. I think. Not really sure what it means. I'm not that religious.


For all practical purposes, from here on out my name is Jane Doe. I was fighting against the rebellion that ripped our country apart. I was on the side of the old regime. The better one, we said. Now nobody is certain of anything but death. Taxes lost significance shortly after the war began. We were a minority against the masses, who were seduced by their charismatic revolutionaries. Most of the people my age joined the new rebels.


That night, I had a bullet in the arm and who knows where else but was still managing to fight when something struck me from behind. I was knocked unconscious. When I woke up, medics were transporting me to their base. The enemy base. They had mistaken me for one of the rebels. What could I say? I had retained the thumbnail Morse transmitter they gave to all infantry. It was only a matter of time till they found out. They tore off my thumb nail, but that was only the beginning. Beating, yelling, waterboarding, whipping, amputation of toes and slices of ear, reopening the wounds they had repaired, stripping-and worse-even, they tried it all on me. Nothing passed my lips. The only reason they had bothered to keep me alive was a prisoner my side had taken. Everyone here wanted John Doe back safe.


They executed John Doe one hour ago at my old base. At least, that's what the rebel soldier is telling me while he stands here, meticulously loading his gun. I don't care. I've given up caring since I was captured. Never said anything. Given it up for Lent: I think today is Good Friday. Did I say that already? Does it matter? Neither side is good, really. Wiser people could say which is red and which is green, and furthermore even ascertain the lesser of the two evils, but we are all colorblind.


The author's comments:
I don't know. I really don't know. The kerning in this typeface where you submit the piece is quite irritating.