Do you believe in Magic? | Teen Ink

Do you believe in Magic?

By churchette96 BRONZE, Chicago, Other
churchette96 BRONZE, Chicago, Other

"You can't choose what happens in your life, but you can choose how you react to it"

Do you Believe in Magic?
Dear Diary,

I know I shouldn’t have been snooping around in my cousin’s room. But I couldn’t believe it when I found a dusty, old wooden treasure chest locked and hidden under her bed, I had to take it into my room. I feel dreadfully guilty for snooping in Amber's room but she had what was coming to her by getting me in trouble during dinner at Aunt Linda and Uncle Marshal's house!

Okay, here's my side of the story what happened. Amber my older cousin of only four years was getting me in trouble for what seemed like everything on Thanksgiving that day. She wasn't doing a good job of being hospitable to a guest staying in her home! I had really wished my mom and dad weren't going on that one business trip right after Thanksgiving dinner and leaving me here... Especially because Amber calls me mean names like Shmelly, I always yell at her and say that my name is Shelly.

But I'm getting off track. Well after I took that old box I sat it under my guest bed and that's when the weird stuff started to happen. I was laying on my bed waiting to fall asleep like I usually do then I saw an bright white glow coming from under the bed. Now diary, before you blow me off this is completely factual information. It's a true story, anyways I tried working at the musty lock as the wooden crate glowed bright enough to light my room like the sun. But I heard the door creak as I tried to work at it so I hid the box under piles and piles of sheets and ran into bed acting like I was sleeping. Through the squinting of under sheets I saw Amber's worried face searching my room in the dark then smirking when she saw the light and sneered, “Still needs a night light, baby.”

I know that I was not a baby needing a night light and little did she know that this was her “night light” but I went to go get the box when I tripped over a floor board that stuck out. I saw something hiding under the floorboard and pulled it up. It was a tiny key that just fit in the lock. As I slowly opened the box scared to see what was inside all I saw was a small wand like thing. It had a long stick with a star on top. I studied it because it interested me. The wand was no bigger then my pinky, yet it made the whole room bright as day.

I searched my mind wondering what this thing could be. A magic wand? The idea seemed absurd but just as I thought it I saw a little blue light float into my room and go through the tiny crack of where I left the window open. I shivered out of fear and cold. It was then dear diary, when I saw a real live fairy. I am not kidding you. I instantly backed away and jumped in the bed and hid in the covers. She scared me so bad. But the tiny details on her were incredible. She was beautiful, elegant more then you can imagine. She motioned me over and I felt drawn to her as she placed a tiny note in my hands and took the wand then with a ring of a tiny bell fluttered away. It was as if nothing happened.

I read the note scrawled on the small leaf it said, “Thank you dear human, You have just helped us get back our queen's wand. For many years the evil witch has had it kept away and we have lived in a dark period. Now we may live in happiness once again. You are hailed a hero to us. Sincerely, Fairies. The leaf dissolved into fairy dust just as I finished.

I snuck in Amber's room while she snored like a pig and slipped the box locked up under her bed. After that I never questioned Amber, but the next day Amber seemed distraught. I now avoid her at all costs though even more then usual. The only thing I have is a memory that I will never forget. But I think mom and dad leaving me here on Thanksgiving is the best thing that ever happened to me. Until next time, diary.

Sincerely,

Shelly

I closed my old diary after reading that entry and slunk back in my chair. I am now sixteen and I wrote that all down in the fall of my 7th grade year. I can still remember that happening like it was yesterday. I opened up my math book and sighed, I haven't heard from Amber from my outer family since she went to college and I liked it that way. Ever since that one family reunion two years ago when she stared me down I swear she knew everything that had happened.

I heard the wind clank and clatter loudly and it looked like a storm was coming. I closed the window on the fall September night watching the sky brewing a storm. Just as I was closing the window I saw a tiny leaf land on my bed room floor and just before it crumpled away I saw two tiny words etched in it, “Help me.”

I could barely believe what I had just saw happen, I fell backwards onto my bed and shivered when the cold wind starting to blow at my wavy, red hair which was flying everywhere. I shook and could barely close the window because I felt like I didn't have any strength. I heard the storm door from her kitchen banging like it does when there's a bad storm. My parent's were at a dinner party so I decided to ignore it but I can't shake the feeling of what had just happened.

I haven't heard anything from any fairies for three years and now I get a random note. And why can't I just have a normal note that wont disappear when I look at it? So that I can actually have proof! Wait, maybe that's the idea. They don't want anyone to know they exist. Does that mean if someone knows they exist they don't like them? So I might be in some sort of danger... Is that why I haven't heard about Amber? No, that would not make sense she is at college not dead.

I couldn't fight off these thoughts so I do what I usually do. I took out my diary and started writing. “It has been three years but the fairies have made contact again. They are asking for help I would like to help them sincerely, but how do you tell a fairy that? I don't you even know what to think. This sounds so completely unreal and idiotic. But I feel like it's something that I just have to believe in. It's like the one thing that a person has to keep holding on to their whole life. I am just unsure...” I sat at my desk at my office chair as I chewed on the end of my pencil on the eraser.

Just as I was about to write down my next thought I saw a huge flash of lightning and I don't know if it was my imagination or what but I swear I saw a large figure in the window on my balcony. It all happened so fast but this is what I remember. The lightning kept flashing and the power went out. I heard a crackle then the loudest lightning of the night cracked it was horrifyingly beautiful. I saw something moving outside but with the power outage I couldn't tell what was going on until I saw a flash of lightning and saw a boy about my age with curly brown hair and intense green eyes staring at me. The last I remember was falling and a sharp pain hitting my head then nothing but black.

When I woke up I thought I was in Oz, literally. All the colors were brighter and happier also more vibrant then ever. I sat up in a field and saw a little pink light start to fly towards me. I dodged it and and the light disappeared into the lush green grass and say the pink grow brighter and bigger. Pretty soon the was a girl with curly blonde hair fluffing with pink pixy dust falling from her. She was a little pudgy but strikingly beautiful and she held a little pink stick, that I could only assume was a wand.

“Hello Shelly! I am so glad you came!” Her cheery voice broke through my observations and I had to giggle at her high pitched voice. “Welcome to Prazz, City of fairies, I'm Shay Anne-,” Before Shay Anne could spout out more of a welcome wagon I opened my big mouth with a snide remark, “More like so glad you were kidnapped here.”

She stopped and looked at me in a twisted way, almost like I was testing her patience, which I guess I was. But she sighed and kept chattering excitedly as she lead me away to a giant castle that looked like it was from a fairy tale. She gestured towards a boy who looked oddly familiar and called him Quiver. I gasped and nearly fainted when I realized it was the boy who was at my house during the storm.

“Y-you were at my house!” I pointed towards him with a shaky hand while fairies stopped and stared at the scene.

“Oh, you remember me?” He smiled deviously at me and I felt like my heart stopped beating.“What were you doing there?”

“Trying to figure out what you knew about the witch...”

“You mean my cousin? Amber?” If they were trying to figure out about Amber then they could have just asked and not brought me here. Quiver had a look of genuine concern when he answered with,“Your related to her? Gosh, I'm sorry...”

“What do you want with Amber? If you must know the last time I saw her was at my family reunion two years ago. Last I knew she was in college,” I flattened out the wrinkles in my bright blue t-shirt. “Uh-oh this is bad!” Quiver grabbed my hand which shot tingles through my body and pulled me towards a large room that had forest-like looking computers in it. Quiver brought up a screen that was camera feed to a college campus.

“Is this her college, NYU?” I looked closely and saw her walk across the screen and gasped, “That was her!” Immediately Quiver started typing in various amounts of things in the bark keyboard then looked at me with intense green eyes, “With one click of this button it will take away all of her power but not kill her. Would you like to do it?” I looked down on the keyboard and sighed. Then leaned over and reached down to click the button when the doors burst open

“Stop! You'll ruin everything!” I turned and saw Shay Anne aiming her wand at me and shaking like a leaf. “You will ruin Amber's plan to make this place better! She is gonna create a new better world! It will help us!” She stayed in that position and I held my arms up in surrender but Quiver stood.

“So your the mole who's been leaking information! You wont have a bad punishment since you've been brainwashed-”

“No! I don't want exceptions! This is over and I'm gonna stop you guys, starting with her!” she pointed her wand at me but before she could fire Quiver jumped in front of me and was zapped with a pink beam. Quiver was gone, I looked up in horror at Shay Anne muttering something about a stupid fairy which was obviously Quiver.

Before she could point her wand at me I screamed. When I scream I don't squeak a little I screech, loudly. I basically screamed bloody murder which shocked her so that she fell off her feet and fairies ran into the room. After telling them what happened they grabbed her and took her away. I clicked the computer button and sighed as I saw Amber crumple up on the college campus and then look very tired.

I then crumpled on the floor and cried. I am not exactly sure why I cried so much but I know I cried for Quiver. He died for me and I barely knew him. I pushed my hands through my now wavy red hair and rubbed my tear soaked eyes. I looked up after ten minutes and realized I wasn't in the computer room, I wasn't even in Pazz. I was in my room at my house sitting on my bed. Before I got up to go see my parents I saw a tiny leaf land on my bed that said, “Thank you – Quiver.”

this is a short story that I wrote for my class that I enjoyed... soo enjoy!