Heart of the Earth | Teen Ink

Heart of the Earth

June 22, 2013
By corrinena BRONZE, Macungie, Pennsylvania
corrinena BRONZE, Macungie, Pennsylvania
2 articles 2 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
" Adapt or die"


Once there was a boy and girl at the end of time, holding onto what was left of this earth for all that it had left. The boy clutched the girl's hand in sorrow, she too was beginning to fade like the others. He cried out and cried out for her, but it was too late, she was already gone, and all that was left was her locket, the locket her great grandmother had given her. He cried, and cried, wanting the world to come back, and form again. He clutched the necklace tightly, and curled up on the ground, waiting for his time to come, and he saw it begin to happen. He clutched the necklace tighter, but couldn't his strength was weakening, he sobbed and decided to open the little golden heart locket. He immediately stopped crying, inside the locket was a clock, still ticking. But when he looked at his finger on the locket he began to solidify once again, he no longer was fading away. He quickly got up, but not knowing what to do, he had found the cure to fix everything, but didn't know how. He tried putting it on the ground beneath him that was fading, and he began to see it come back. He tried touching the clock's hands, but he only got a prick of a finger instead, causing him to bleed, covering the tiny clock with blood. He thought it wouldn't hurt, but it hurt immensely, his finger felt like it had been cut off, he screamed out in pain, dropping the locket causing it to close on the impact of the fall, falling in a small hole a rabbit once made. The locket started glow red. The boy continued to wince in pain, but he saw around him, trees beginning to form, grass beginning to grow, all the things that were once faded away were now coming back. He saw buildings begin to form, and people starting to reappear, animals running past him. He walked over to where he dropped the locket, and saw it glow brightly within the ground, it was the source of the new life that was reappearing. Someone's hand touched his shoulder, he turned around, the girl had reappeared, she was smiling through her tears and hugged him. He hugged back, but when he tried, he saw his arms fading away, the girl stepped back and put her hand over her mouth, about to cry. As he saw the whole world around him reappear from its once faded state, he faded away, seeing his family and the love of his life stand there and watch in horror. Then he realized what was happening, and said as tears began to form, “I will never stop loving you.” to the girl who was now frantically trying to touch him, in order to bring him back, but it was too late. The girl went over to the glowing locket, and tried to remove it from the ground, she burned her fingers, and screamed out in pain, she looked at it closer, and saw engraved on the little heart, If there is no love, there is no sacrifice. She smiled and put her burning fingers to her heart, and cried softly for the saved earth, now realizing what he had done.


The author's comments:
I had a dream about a locket and it burned in my hand in the dream, so I wrote about the experience except in story form.