The Unknown | Teen Ink

The Unknown

By maggiejeanne GOLD, Heber, Utah
maggiejeanne GOLD, Heber, Utah

The night of June 22, 2010 was just like any other warm night of that time. Filled with the laughter and smiles of my friends while we ran around the Heber City Park, our stomach filled still with the butterflies from knowing that it was summer, and we were young. But somewhere in that content haze, I lost my phone. We spent a long time looking for it, until the sun went down and a policeman showed up, telling us it was past curfew and time to return to our homes. I was spending the night at my friends Aubre’s house that night, only a few blocks away, so with a heavy heart that my first cell phone was gone, we walked under the stars back to her home.

The next morning, Briel, Aubre’s niece joined us for breakfast, we were both delighted to see the adorable 5 year olds face and be around her innocent presence. When we finished our meal, Aubre received a call from our friend Conner, saying he has found my phone, and to meet us at the 7/11 across the street so it could be returned to me. Still in our pajamas, we left then. Arriving at the 7/11, Conner explained he had went to the park that morning, just to find my phone. Hugging him and thanking him for his kindness, we started back to Aubre’s home.

The next moment, at that cross walk, is something I will never forget. It is carved into my soul, and fractured into my mind. It made me realize, that the unknown is real, it’s only the world that is blind.

It only took one women in a huge jeep, sending a text that I guess was so important it had to forever change all our lives. She didn’t stop, when all the other cars did. Aubre was thrown onto the hood of the car, before being slammed back down onto the asphalt, while I was thrown into the intersection about 30 feet. Briel on the other hand, was pushed out of the way, and was unhurt.

I saw what pushed her, maybe it was Fate, maybe it was Death, not ready for her to leave this world. Maybe it was an angel, maybe it was God, but I know what I saw that day. A figure, dressed in a long black robe appeared as soon as I realized the car was not going to stop, and exclaimed, “Oh s***”. With a seemingly gentle force, Briel was pushed out of the way. Throughout my three days in the hospital, slipping in and out of consciousness from my skull fracture, the figures featureless while face, never left my memory, I don’t think it ever will.

The next memory I have of that day, was waking up in my hospital room, my father by my side.

“I am so glad you are okay, but you scared the Hell out of me, Maggie.” He said, running his hands over his face and giving a sigh of relief.

“Are the other girls okay?” I asked, not wanting to sound insane by telling him about the figure.

“Aubre’s fine, not as bad as you; she went home a few hours ago. The doctors want you to stay for a few days. As for Briel, you pushed her out of the way; they have it on the camera from the intersection. I proud of you for that Mag, you probably saved her life.”

I only rolled over and slipped back into unconsciousness, back into the memory of what I saw that day. Back into the memory of the unknown figure I will never forget.