Dreamer | Teen Ink

Dreamer

By MerpityDerpHerp BRONZE, Cupertino, California
MerpityDerpHerp BRONZE, Cupertino, California

"Ahhh!" I woke up screaming, covered in cold sweat. I shivered, feeling a light breeze brush against the sweat making its way down down my neck. The windows weren't even open... Odd. Every night, when I drift off to sleep, I’ve had these odd nightmares recently, where I'm flying from one place to another watching myself do daily things, eventually flying to my own window and watching myself sleep, only to find someone - a dark figure come into my room. Then, I wake up covered in cold sweat, clenching my fists as if I had been scared to death. It's been like this ever since we moved into this house. A sigh let loose, as my frustration escaped. I can't remember the end of a dream I've had every night for at least 4 months. Heavy rain pounded on my bedroom window as strong winds threatened to blow away our ramshackle cabin. I sighed, looking out the window, at what seemed like an endless forest now a green blur due to the rain drops sliding down my window. I shivered once more, sitting up and slipping on my fuzzy pink bunny slippers. I looked at the long mirror hanging from my wooden closet door. I was a mess. My brunette curls looked just as Mom described it every morning… A bird's nest. I tied the belt on my robe tightly as I headed downstairs. I don't understand why Mom got mad every time I mentioned what a gross, old cabin this was. The stairs creaked every time I took a step. I fixed myself some cereal as I plopped down on the worn out couch Mom had hauled home from who knows where. She insisted we keep it because of the "beautiful floral design". It was so worn out that all you could see were random brown blotches. I turned on the T.V only to find out that we didn't have any connection. The wind storm probably knocked out the satellite. I sighed again, setting the cereal aside and laying down. There was nothing to do. No one was home. Might as well go to sleep again. I drifted off to sleep slowly to the soft, but constant rhythm of the rain beating on the roof and windows.
An extremely cold breeze hit me, pulling me out of my dream. I woke up in an alleyway, heavy rain beating down on my body. I shuddered, and peered down at my hands which looked dirty, and slightly larger than my 14 year old hands. I chuckled sadly, finally realizing what had happened. I had been dreaming about my teenage years, reminiscing about what it was like to have a family, a home, and a full stomach. Even the nightmares I had every night made me think about what it was like to wake up in a warm bed, having my mom there to give me hugs and kisses.

JuicyFart BRONZE, Indianapolis, Indiana
1 article 0 photos 1 comment
I have to say this is one of the best short stories I have ever read, and I have read a lot. I love stories with twists in them, as it adds to the creativity. You have potential, DerpHerp.

_insertnamehere_ BRONZE, Espyville, Pennsylvania

"The most wasted of days is one without laughter." e.e cummings

This. Is. Amazing! The ending was something I did not expect, and it definitely gave an excellent twist to the story. You are a fantastic writer! Don't ever, ever, ever stop writing!