Wings | Teen Ink

Wings

By JadeCorrell GOLD, Vineyard Haven, Massachusetts
JadeCorrell GOLD, Vineyard Haven, Massachusetts

"Reality continues to ruin my life."

Her wings sparkled in the moonlight. From my hiding spot behind an immeasurable oak, I could just make out her face. The girl’s skin shimmered as she stared up into the cosmic sky, raising her hands above her head; as if greeting the stars. Her eyes, green with golden specks, lit up as she muttered something indecipherable. She muttered again, her mouth moving with every syllable. Then; louder.

“All oceans of stars, hold my heart in your arms and help me see the truth in life.” She enunciated again and again, louder each time. Light swirled and churned around the petite miss. She slowly elevated, her arms still outstretched. Chanting loudly now, she twisted and gyrated, dizzyingly.

Watching in wonder and amazement, I trip over my own feet. She whirled around as I sputter something like an apology. She popped down as my eyes comprehend this encounter.

“What? What is it?” She exclaimed to me, “Oh. Is it these?” She says a little softer this time, motioning to her glittering wings. When I don’t answer, still in awe, she tiptoed over to me. “Are you okay?” She whispered soothingly. Her outstretched hand coaxed me to take it, and she hefted me up. She dusts off my shorts and turns me around to dust off my back.

“Thank you.” I mutter, still gaping at the vision in front of me, marveling, wondering if I was dreaming. I blush, clearly confounded by her beauty. A pang of jealousy catapults through me as I stare. I look away, feeling disappointed by my judgemental consideration.

“Whats your name? Why were you spying on me? Where are you from?” Her questions exploded me from sub-consciousness. Feebly, I tried to answer them.

“Well,” I started, not sure if I could finish, “I normally walk through here in the evenings to clear my head, and I saw some weird light, so I followed it. I wasn’t spying on you. I was curious.”

“Curiosity won’t get you far in life.” She says flatly, “And you never said your name.”

“ My name means nothing to you. You and I both know that.”

“You are a petty mortal. Don’t ever speak to me like that. I am higher above you, and I don’t need you spying on me. Life is much simpler than that.” Her words struck me like a punch to the stomach. I hadn’t been spying on her. I was merely taking an evening stroll, and I so happened to see her.

“Fine. Good luck with seeing the truth in life, or whatever.” I walked off.

I never saw her again.

"Reality continues to ruin my life."

AWWWWWWW.... Thanks for the support Margaret!!

JulePearl BRONZE, Harlingen, Texas
Good work! I liked the ending. Definitely not what I was expecting!