Santa's Gotten a Little Hairy | Teen Ink

Santa's Gotten a Little Hairy

By Mystoftime GOLD, Walnut Creek, California
Mystoftime GOLD, Walnut Creek, California

"Set your course by the stars, not by the lights of every passing ship." - Omar Bradley

I had found myself in a peculiar position. Well, perhaps it wasn’t too outrageous considering how skilled my sister was at getting me to help her out with her many different charity events but- a werewolf in a Santa outfit? As a werewolf, I was supposed to invoke images of fear, not visions of sugarplums and mounds of presents.
Even as I silently bemoaned my fate, another person walked by and I rung my little bell of Christmas spirit and more or less demanded their money. The woman got out of reach as quickly as possible, her giant handbag bumping against her legs. I was about to holler at another unwary victim when something collided with my head.
“Hey!” I began to protest, but quavered before the power of my sister, Alexandria’s, glare. I had been expecting the dull guy who read Fifty Shades of Gray while I did all the work, but my luck wasn’t looking too bright today.
“Now, what do you think you’re doing?”
Her expression was deadly calm, but I knew it to be an omen for the a**-whupping to come.
I pulled down my itchy wide beard and smiled sheepishly, “Stealing from the rich and giving to the poor…?”
Bad move…I cursed my stupidity.
Alexandria grinned her crocodile grin. “This is the Salvation Army, Elliot. Not a hustlers’ stand!”
“But, we are technically modern day Robin Hoods…”
That got me another smack on the head, which I probably deserved. Alexandria swiped the bell from my hand and pushed me aside. “We don’t steal. We ask politely.”
I already knew I could do nothing to stop her and waited solemnly in my baggy red suit as a master went to work.
My sister smiled sweetly and jingled my bell and the bells on her little elf hat, and lo and behold, her feminine charm won over a boisterous family and an elderly gentleman. When all was said and done, she turned to me with a smile.
“That is how it’s done!” She shook the red pail and the delicious sound of coins ricocheted inside.
“Whatever,” I grumbled and wished I was anywhere but here.
It was Christmas Eve and I should’ve been scarfing down gingerbread men and peppermint bark, washing it all down with a glass of eggnog. Mmm… I began to salivate just thinking about it…
“Elliot!”
“Huh?” I blinked at my sister where she stood with her hands on her hips.
She tapped her foot impatiently. “You weren’t listening at all, were you?”
“Uh… no?” I prayed she wouldn’t hit me again.
Alexandria sighed and shook her head.
“Fine. You win.”
“Huh?” I took a step back in surprise. She couldn’t mean…?
Suddenly, she grabbed my arm and began dragging me away.
I resisted despite the temptation. “Whoa! Where are you taking me?”
Her lips curved up in a smirk and she put a finger up to her mouth. “It’s a secret.”
“But what about my shift-?”
Alexandria ignored me and called, “GREG!”
The poor man nearly fell out of his chair, his copy of Fifty Shades of Gray landing face down on the sidewalk.
He adjusted his glasses nervously.
“Yes, Alexandria?”
“I need you to cover for Elliot for the rest of his shift.”
He nodded eagerly, his hand already reaching for the fallen book.
Alexandria’s boot landed on the cover instead and Greg pulled back his hand with a frightened squeak.
She leaned down and spoke very slowly, “I don’t think you heard me right. You are here to work and I need you to get moving for just that. Got it?”
Greg sat there, petrified, and then bobbed his head up and down like a turkey.
My sister began to stomp away, when she turned and then picked up Greg’s book.
I swear his devastated expression must have given her distinct pleasure since she piped cheerfully, “I’ll be taking this!”
And she walked off, to leave me wondering why she of all people had gotten involved in charity work.
As Alexandria pulled me along, she glanced down at the book she clutched in her hand and made a face. She tossed it in the next trash can, muttering, “Sick bastard.”
I cracked a smile. At least we agreed on some things.
** *
My sense of freedom after standing, freezing on the sidewalk was short lived as Alexandria bundled me into her Chevy without even giving me time to change.
So, there I was, packed into her truck which had quickly filled with other friends and acquaintances, dressed as jolly old St. Nick. At least, I could take off the hat and beard, but the rest… I was past the point of no return.
“Alexandria!” I had to shout to be heard over the raised voices of everyone even though I sat right next to her as shotgun.
“What?” she yelled right back.
“I’m going to get you back for this!”
She giggled very uncharacteristically. “You’ll be thanking me after this!”

Fifteen minutes later, the truck rolled to a stop and we all poured out in a flurry of chatter. Bright twinkling lights blinded me as I glanced up to see the giant star topped tree dwarfing dozens of booths and kiddie rides.
Alexandria joined me and looked around with a huge grin.
“It’s great isn’t it?”
I huffed. Her reaction was just as unexpected as the destination.
“The Snow Festival, right? I haven’t been here in ages… ow!”
Rubbing my now bruised arm, I glared at my sister, who raised her fist threateningly and hissed, “Stop complaining!”
I couldn’t help but frown. “This isn’t what you meant earlier was it? I mean it’s fine and all, but I’d rather-“
She suddenly grabbed me by my shoulders and turned me to the right.
Her finger pointed. “That’s what I thought you’d enjoy.”
I had to squint for a moment, unable to pick out anything from the milling masses of people and the flashy stalls, when I spotted a familiar head amongst a gaggle of girls at the goldfish pond. But I wasn’t sure who it was, until she turned her head and spotted me the same instant I saw her.
A smile lit up her face and she waved.
I waved back slowly and may have stood there for another ten minutes if Alexandria hadn’t given me a push.
“Have fun, Elliot!” she called and ran off without watching the fruits of her labor.
Or the circumstances when her push had more force than necessary and I narrowly avoided falling into the girl. I caught myself just in time, but it was too late. She had already seen my panicked save.
I heard a giggle and looked up sheepishly. I could feel my face getting red as her hazel eyes smiled at me.
I straightened instantly and ruffled my hair, trying to think of what to say.
“J-June! Uh, hi, it’s good to see you.”
“You too, Elliot. I haven’t seen you since summer vacation.” She clasped her hands and I noticed she was wearing her signature pink wool gloves- the ones I’d given her for her birthday two years ago.
We were childhood friends, but those days of playing in a sandbox and watching over June’s German shepherd, Molly, after she had four healthy puppies, seemed so far away, and as June had already mentioned- we no longer saw each other often. And when we did… it was different and I wanted to be with her more, but was unable to act on my conflicted feelings.
Yet, seeing her wear my gift and remembering the past made me realize that June was probably the same, kind girl who loved dogs and who always wore a gentle smile, and I agreed to join her to see more of the festival without another thought.
The tension between us gradually decreased as we explored the festival grounds. By the time we had visited the Ferris wheel, strolled through a forest of Christmas trees and munched on sugar cookies and hot apple cider, we were as relaxed as if we talked to each other every day.
I got bolder and promised to win a goldfish for June. She agreed, but she ended up being the one winning for me. However, every time she smiled my heart beat in tandem so I took it in stride.
I never saw the full moon lurking behind a bank of clouds.
Before long, Alexandria rounded up the entire group and we headed back to our house. I was conspicuously aware of June tagging along in the back seat after Alexandria had very pointedly invited her.
Although June chatted with the others, I could feel her eyes on me.
I coughed into my hand and scratched my neck. Heat was crawling up my skin and sweat beaded on my forehead, but I passed it off as anxiety.
When we arrived at our house, the itching was driving me crazy.
“Damn suit,” I muttered, dying to race up the stairs and change.
June popped by my side as we entered the foyer. “I think it looks good on you, Elliot.”
Blinking, I paused mid-scratch. “Really?”
“Mm-hm!”
I decided to put my irritation on hold, which wasn’t the smartest of ideas. I loosened the coat, and managed to join in on the festivities.

“Let me get you a drink,” I offered June and ran off before she could even accept.
I turned down the hallway and into the bathroom, locking the door behind me.
My entire body was burning now, and I fumbled for the light switch, my movements quick and jerky. When I looked at my reflection in the mirror I knew my worst fears had come true. I was changing and in the middle of the most important night of my life.
“Why?” I bemoaned my fate.
I could control my shifting as all natural werewolves were able, and I most certainly didn’t want to become a hairy dog in front of June. Then the obvious hit me and I dove for the window curtains.
Thrown back, the fat moon played hide and go seek among the clouds. Damn it! The urge to change was too strong to resist on a full moon night!
There was a knock on the door, accompanied by June’s voice, laced with concern.
“Elliot? Are you all right?”
I whirled around and was about to grasp the doorknob when I realized my nails were already claws.
“S***. S***. S***!” I growled and clutched my hand.
I braced myself and my muscles strained as I forced the change back until there was no physical evidence of what I really was. Only the heat racing through my body persisted.
When I opened the door, June grabbed my arm and pulled me toward her. Before I could protest she reached up and laid her hand on my forehead.
Her skin was soft and blissfully cool. I sighed and began to sink into her touch, when it vanished and I glanced at her in surprise.
“June?”
She knit her eyebrows adorably and said, “You’re skin is so hot, Elliot.”
“Oh?” I feigned surprise.
She looked torn for a moment, until she smiled and took my hand this time.
“I know just what you need!” June started to lead me up the stairs.
I followed, not unwillingly. “What?”
“Cool, night air!”
I stiffened, but stopped myself from turning tail even as, inside, I was in full blown panic mode. Why? Why was this happening? The proximity to the moon would only increase the need to shift until it was unbearable… and then what?
When, we crawled out of the door in the attic and onto the shingles of the roof, I was still trying to think of a way out of this mess without ruining my chance with June forever.
“Elliot.”
A warm hand tugged me forward and I suddenly found myself eye to eye with June. We were so close I could feel the beating of her heart. I leaned in, wanting to be still closer, wishing to know her even better.
Suddenly, the fire raging through me reached its peak as it never had since my first transformation. I needed to shift and I needed to change now.
I backed off and tried to keep myself from shaking as I threw together an excuse, “Hey, June, my throat really hurts. Do you think you could get me a glass of water while I take a breather?”
It pained me to see the momentary hurt in her eyes vanish as quickly as I spoke.
“Sure!” She chirped and clambered back down the ladder.
Her smile had been nothing but understanding. I cursed my wretched ability to lie, even if my throat really did hurt.
June was so trusting…
A spasm wracked my body, forcing me to my knees. I groaned and hobbled to my feet until I collapsed underneath a suitable eave on the other side of the roof. The muscle spasms were the turning point. I was no longer capable of holding back the wolf.
I could hear the laughter of the moon as I prostrated myself before her visage. I bit my tongue to keep from screaming as my spine stretched and my bones crunched.
Truly, I should have known better. Not only that tonight of all nights was a full moon, but that to resist the urge to transform was only to welcome unnecessary pain.
Either way, I fell into the crushing embrace of my other form, my protests twisted into whines and growls in an abruptly canine muzzle. I curled in on myself and could do nothing but wait before I could slink away like the coward I was.
My ears pricked forward as the door to the roof fell open and the previously faint sounds of footsteps on shingles filled the air. I shrunk back against the side to avoid being seen.
“Elliot?” June’s voice carried easily with my keen hearing.
I fought the urge to bound up to her. In this form, I was nothing but a simple beast. But, the subtly sweet scent of her cherry blossom perfume lingered and I knew she was still looking for the boy she would not find.
I growled in frustration, and then immediately regretted it.
“Who’s there?”
June was closer now and I was beginning to realize just how stuck I was. I couldn’t just wait it out, but there was nowhere to run either. I could jump to the ledge and then hope to land on the ground without breaking all my legs. Even for how sturdy a werewolf was, it would hurt a hell of a lot and I still might not escape without being detected. Although, there was no way she could tell the wolf was me…
I was torn and frozen in place, until I could smell June right above me, peering over the edge of the roof.
I grimaced and, as her sweeping gaze came closer, I tried to bolt.
Unfortunately, the Santa suit draped in folds around me and I only succeeded in getting myself tangled up. With a snarl, I tore a strip of the offending cloth away and limped towards the attic door. If there was no time to jump, I could make it to my room unseen and stay hidden away the rest of the night.
There was a gasp and I whirled instinctively, hackles raised and teeth bared in a snarl. June stared at me, her hazel eyes wide and her reaction exactly as I’d feared. My lips lowered and I tried to back away, but the suit got caught on one of my hind legs.
“You…” her voice wavered and I whined as I tried to shake off the red pants.
“Are you… stuck?”
Amazingly, she approached me and I had no choice but to wait, my ears flattened against my skull.
Then, she stopped as if she had made a realization- like perhaps it was dangerous to approach a cornered animal.
But, what she said next blew away all those thoughts.
“Elliot?” I stared up at her and whimpered. “Elliot!”
I nearly yelped when her arms wrapped around my neck, but instantly relaxed as her touch calmed my bestial instinct to snap and retreat. She helped me out of the pants, but part of the coat remained draped across my back when her hands paused.
Instead, she took my head in her hands and I could feel her gaze searching for the Elliot she knew.
She must’ve found it in my blazing golden eyes, because she stayed crouched in front of me and smiled more openly than she ever had for the human Elliot.
“You are so cute in that Santa suit!”
I blinked, before looking away, embarrassed, but secretly pleased.
Her ensuing laughter was music to my ears. I naturally squirmed closer to her.
June still giggled and I noticed her cheeks were red. Encouraged by her acceptance, I boldly lay down right next to her and put my head in her lap.
She only wore a thin, fleece jacket and I hoped my heat could warm her body- so much more delicate than my own. Her hand stretched out tentatively to stroke my head.
I stayed completely still, careful not to do anything to startle her.
Her fingers twined with my chocolate brown fur and she lowered her head to be at an equal level with me again.
“Thank you, Elliot. This is the best Christmas I could ever hope for.”
Her words rang with sincerity and I awarded her with a wolfy grin, even if it looked unbelievably goofy. I could not speak my feelings, but it was enough for her to understand and she smiled back.
June and I stayed like that, curled up on the rooftop, our frosty breaths wreathing around us; wolf and human intertwined as one.
I could only think my gratitude, as pure, unadulterated joy spread throughout my body.
Thank you.
I never even noticed that the full moon had long since been smothered by the clouds.
* * *

I originally wrote this piece in response to a prompt of "Holiday Moon". Usually my stories involve suspense or horror if it involves creatures of sorts, but instead I wanted Elliot to be just your average guy who also just happens to be a werewolf.