The Kingdom of Beckon Pt.1 | Teen Ink

The Kingdom of Beckon Pt.1

By ChandaMan GOLD, Grandview, Texas
ChandaMan GOLD, Grandview, Texas

I was born and raised in a small town outside the castle gates. We lived in a time of Kings and Queens, Damsels in Distress and Knights in shining armor. But, we are more technology advanced than neighboring kingdoms. The name of the kingdom I call home, is Beckon.

Our kingdom is in the phase we like to call the "Steampunk Era." We have technology, but it's rough and not very advanced. Things were great in Beckon. That was until we received King Zylar.

King Zylar is a crazed king doing whatever he feels like and for no particular reason. When he came to power I was twelve years of age. Our town was a farming town, and one day Zylar gave the command to burn it to the ground and to leave no witnesses.

When the Royal Army came my Brother, Mother, and I were out picking fruit from their trees. Things were as normal as ever, and as we walked back we heard agonizing screams. Upon hearing them we ran back to the village, to see our small town being burned to the ground. The Army was slaying anyone who stood before them, and they searched everywhere for ones who were hiding. As I watched the chaos I heard my Mother scream, "No! Anthony no!!!" I looked to see my younger brother running into the carnage. My Mother told me to stay put, but of course I followed her.

We ran through the flaming streets as villagers screamed and hid from the soldiers. We eventually found Anthony, and when we did it was to late. Once we found him he began to beat on the back of a soldier looking away. Once the soldier realized a small boy was beating on his back he turned around, sword raised high, and brought the blade down to end my brother.

My Mother screamed in pain and ran at the one who murdered Anthony. He too dispatched her with ease though. Mortified I picked up a sword on the ground from a fallen villager, and ran up to the one who murdered my family. I ran the blade through his body as he howled in pain. I was frozen in shock at what I had just done.

Still holding the hilt of the sword I stared dumbfounded at him as he struggled to remove my grip from it. Giving up he lifted his sword and slashed my hand clean off. This woke me up as I fell to the ground and screamed in pain. The soldier, with the sword still in his stomach, approached me. He staggered and swore as hate filled his eyes. Then as he got closer he collapsed, dead.

I stared at the body and kept repeating in my head, "I just killed a man!" I was broke from my shocking discovery when I heard soldiers coming in my direction. I got up quickly as I could with one hand and ran towards the mountains.

By the time I reached them night had covered the land. I stared into the distance watching the flame of my village. I sat down and cried. I wept for all the innocent people in my village, both friends and family. Then I felt a hand on my shoulder. I turned to see a man with a gray beard, covered in Punk Parts. Thats what we called the technology. He had a mechanical arm, leg, and nose. Even half his forehead was mechanical, and on that same half he had a glowing gold eye.

His leg made a puff sound as it released some pressure, then began to swell back up. I stood and we stared at each other. Then with the voice of a wise man he said, "Follow me." He then guided me up the mountain.

To be continued....

This is a just a little test piece for an idea I came up with. If it gets good reviews and you all like it, then I will write it to the end.