Things that Go Bump in the Night | Teen Ink

Things that Go Bump in the Night

By BarzaitheWise BRONZE, Springfield, Massachusetts
BarzaitheWise BRONZE, Springfield, Massachusetts

Don't Let the bastards get you down

-Kris Kristofferson

You wake into the all-encompassing darkness one night as the gibbous witch-moon flies high over you abode. All through the dark and foreboding you feel the presences of all manner of ungodly beast and dæmons. Just beyond your line of sight lies an unspeakable beast without mortal description. This you know.
You struggle to breathe as your neck is constricted by the terror of the great darkness that surrounds you. Within this darkness are all sorts of fiends and accursed things that drift at the edge of your consciousness. Oh! What a fool you are! For long you have laughed merrily when told of young children’s dreaded night fears! Yet now your mind draws you back to your own childhood.
Around every corner, in every darkened corridor, slinking through unattended windows and lurking in dark closets are the unspeakable horrors which delight in the terror of innocent children. Now in the darkness you are alone with these creatures that once tormented your nocturnal hours as the realization comes to you: They have never left your presence. This you know.
The maniacal clowns that hopped by the foot of your bed, the howling night-black dogs that howled at your windows and pawed at your chamber door, and the red eyes that bore down through your soul from above. They all now haunt you again as they once did. But now as these horrific night-forms wail and dance joyously in the horrid black inkiness, a new realization comes to you: These are not the true fears. Rather, they are merely forms taken by a dark thing that haunts the inner minds of mortal dreams. This you now know.
Ah, but what truly do you know of this unspeakable utterly inhuman thing? For what man knows of the skull-splitting nightmare plateaus of the darkest dreamlands? What man can say they have seen the nuclear chaos which is at the center of this tumultuous, entropic universe we are all cursed to inhabit? For this being is among the merits of no man. It dwells where the Outer things dance horribly where no Human eye should ever have dared reach. But this beings cares not for mere mortal men, but rather how they may better serve it’s terrible goals. And as it bears down upon you from the vast darkness of an unforgiving reality, you finally realize the greatest horrors any man may know: You truly know nothing of the universe, not even that which is the most basic knowledge to a daemon such as your horrific and mighty torturer.
Early in the morning, you rise from your sheets, forgetting all the previous night’s terrors. The hellhounds and shadow-lurkers that haunted you are quickly fading dream remnants. The horrible thoughts that crushed your mind are little more than laughable dream fancies whose mention is less than pointless. For nothing now looks at you with dark contempt from the many cracks and crevices of your home.

None that you can see.

"From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggety beasties and things that go bump in the night, good Lord, deliver us tonight!"
— Welsh Prayer