The Color Purple | Teen Ink

The Color Purple

By Meg Uyeda BRONZE, Mountain View, CA, District Of Columbia
Meg Uyeda BRONZE, Mountain View, CA, District Of Columbia

“You’re on,” the stage manager says.

As you see the lights leading the way on, you feel your heart pounding in your chest, as if someone is playing the drums inside you. Pretty soon you feel as if you were move you are going to mess up everything. Worrying, you say to yourself, “Forget about the stage fright, it’s not going to help”. Your eyes seem to get watery and all you see are the bright purple curtains slowly opening.

Suddenly, you fall to the ground and the world seems to darken. The only thing you remember is that purple color and how it mocked you as you were on stage. All at once, your thoughts seem to travel and drift away into oblivion.

Waking up, you feel the grass under you, and the slight breeze. You can’t tell if you’re dreaming or if its reality. Above you, the sky seems to be a teal green color, the grass is a bright orange color, and the trees are purple. Getting up you feel as if you are going to faint but you don’t. Behind you, you see a beautiful royal purple tree and start walking toward it, on the way you trip over a rock and everything goes black...

Opening your eyes, you realize you feel the cold, hard hospital bed under you.

You hear the sound of people murmuring in the halls, and you seem be waiting for the nurse. Looking out the window the rain pours and you see purple lights shining in your eyes, you think its just a car, but that color seems to remind you of something you have seen before. Recognizing that royal purple color, you stand up. Suddenly, out of nowhere dolls come out and stare at you as if you were a matador and they were the bulls. Slowly you move into the corridors and you start running and crying but you get to the lobby and you go to the front desk seeing if anyone can help but all at once a herd of dolls stop you before you can say a word.

“Why are you here, you must leave.” the dolls chant.

“What?” You say out of breath.

“You must leave or we will kill you.”

“Why?”

“It’s because this is our world, not your’s.”

“NO, PLEASE YOU DON’T...I won’t hurt you!” you scream, trying to get away.

Struggling, you run outside and see the stage and the dolls call you back but you know you need to keep running, the door to your dressing room is wide open and you go in and lock the door. The room is silent, you get up and check out the door and there’s nothing. You know the only way out is through the back door, so you open the door and it leads you to the rooftop. Up there you find the dolls once again and they all come charging at you and the only thing to do is jump. Remember this is real, there are no lives in the world you never get second chances, this is your only chance. Walking back, the edge of the roof is right there, do you jump? Well here it goes. As you’re falling, the wind pushes against your back trying to resist gravity. All you can think of is your family and friends, but before you can think of dancing again, a concrete slap stops you. Slowly you are drenched in water and can barely breathe or hear anything. You try opening your eyes but theres nothing, no light, no blue sky, and no green grass. Just black, darker than a raven’s feathers and the key’s on the piano. It’s no use trying to hold your breath. Its no use trying to call for help. It’s no use to move any muscles. Your last thought was good bye world I love you, and I hate you purple.