The Emerald Dream | Teen Ink

The Emerald Dream

March 18, 2014
By kristnjo SILVER, Ormond Beach, Florida
kristnjo SILVER, Ormond Beach, Florida
7 articles 0 photos 0 comments

I had been to this place before. Long before, when it was still pristine and perfect, when it still had a body and a soul. I called it home from the warish penninsula where my residence was. I walked through this place, alone, clouded vision but a clear mind.

Mossy hills held up a deep sapphire sky, crystals glimmered in this beautiful galaxy. At the right time, a soft green sun would break the sapphire sky and gaze heavily over the land. Like it was watching it, monitoring it. It seemed scared.

I called to the sun at this second, stopped in the dirt path to settle cross legged in the gorge between emerald hills. I found my voice again. "Are you real?"

The land grew angry with my questions and my voice, in my brain a song sang and shushed me to sleep. I complied, resting my head on the tender grasses of this Haven. I heard the soft calls of the ocean, I felt the gentle drips of rain trickling off my forehead and I knew I was home. I was where I belonged. Even though this land was angry with me, I knew that I needed to be here. Something tethered me too it.

And when I rose, I looked out my window to find another house set aflame. Warrish beings were these people, razing homes based on how much income they were making- how much they raised for the holy government.

So the night before they came to me, I sent my wife and children away, telling them to run south and I will meet them again soon and instead of preparing to leave myself, I laid myself down on the floor and closed my eyes.

I was slipping slowly into my Haven. I felt darkness creep over me in the middle of my dream and the land grew angry with me and they forced my soul out of the sweet heaven, because I was a coward. And now I linger, between life and death and heaven and the hell I called home.