A golden friend | Teen Ink

A golden friend

May 4, 2014
By Melenium SILVER, Heritage Park, Other
Melenium SILVER, Heritage Park, Other
7 articles 0 photos 4 comments

Favorite Quote:
Started from the bottom now we're here - Drake


A vicious ache crawled from Jeff’s fingers towards his biceps as he clinged on to his best mate’s legs. He could only imagine how Bront’s body was coping with the adrenaline rush of hanging off a cliff for three tormenting hours, with another’s life in his hands. An owl’s hoot breaks the suspense that entails the horror of a pitch black forest, and the canon that waits for them below catches and echoes its call (almost as if it had realised that they had given up calling for help). He shouldn’t have come to the year seven camp, he pondered.
Jeff’s eyes bulged brightly beckoning his mate Bront to crawl behind him. “Bronson, you Trina and…”, Mrs Gregory scanned around the bus almost purposely ignoring him, “Jeff!”. Quick as a click, he latched onto Bront’s arm and dragged him and their bags straight towards the cabins with utter relief. Not quick enough, as Lydia tagged right behind; 24 hour glove wearing, book reading, red hair with braces Lydia. This will be a long trip he thought.

After lunch the grade had gone for a hike around the reserve, cut short when a herd of thunderclouds begun to roll in. Everyone ducked for cover as Jeff and Bront crept off, unaware that Lydia had followed them. With the pitter patter of raindrops on their heads, they set out to finish off the hike - lost but determined.

“It’s this way”, Bront insisted. “Are you suuuuARRGHHHHH!” Jeff slipped and tumbled towards the cliff’s edge. “Grab a hold of my…ARGHHHHH!”, Bront joined him sacrificing his safety; he had managed to grab hold of a branch. The two dangled, as they attempted to crawl and scratch at the muddy terrain. It was no use. They screamed for help, but both darkness and disappointment settled in.

A rattle from behind a pine tree startles the boys, Lydia’s face illuminated by the little light the moon had to offer.
“Help us please!” Bront begged.“I can’t” Lydia exclaimed,“If I…” she paused.
“WHAAAATTT??” The boys panicked, “hurry up! We’re gonna fall! We’ve been hanging here for ages”.
“If I touch you…you’ll…turn…to gold”, Lydia admitted.
Cackles of laughter filled the air, “Hurry up and prove it then you liar!” Jeff snickered.
She nervously removed her purple gloves and tapped her index finger on a leaf.
“Woooow!” the sweaty two were impressed. Bront took a deep breath,
“Jeff, you live. Lydia touch me!”
“What? No! Don’t be crazy! There’s others ways!”
“No, there isn’t,” Bront wrapped one arm around the branch and the other he extended out towards Lydia, “and Jeff, tell my parents I love them.”
Before Jeff could blink Bront had already solidified.

As Jeff clawed to safety passing the newly erected golden statue, he couldn’t help but bawl. No need for a supernova, this treasure of a friend took only 12 years to form. Mrs Gregory and a search party


The author's comments:
A short story inspired by the Australian 2011 QCS short story stimulus sheet. The theme was 'gold'. I wrote this story and dedicated it to my favorite writer Paul Jennings, I tried my best to keep it short and in the type of structure he uses to write his own extraordinary stories.