Ideology - A System Of Ideas | Teen Ink

Ideology - A System Of Ideas

May 15, 2014
By HailSatan BRONZE, Crystal Lake, Illinois
HailSatan BRONZE, Crystal Lake, Illinois
4 articles 0 photos 10 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Smoke Weed erryday" - Snoop Lion


I am existing in the definition of nonexistence. The cockpit is gone. A plain whiteness surrounds my every direction. I am standing, but on nothing. Nobody else is in sight. The worst part is: I feel myself ceasing to exist as well.



Chapter 1: The Island

EARLIER

“I have done something that makes me a wanted man. I am good at what I do, but I need your help. You can save the day. My predicament happened in a place far away from you. What I am about to tell you may seem like the ramblings of a madman, but I am trusting you:”

“In the absolute middle of the ocean there lies an island. People of all kinds and ethnicities reside on this large country, out of the way from the rest of civilization. Every landscape possible can be found on the island, from the rolling mountains of the upper coast, to the beautiful rainforests of the south. The island’s environments and people may possibly merit it the honor of being the most diverse and extravagant country in the world.”

“So then why does nobody know of it?”


“Well, the island is completely uncharted territory, except to the the islanders themselves. No map, nor history textbook, nor anything else contains any trace of the island of the island. The entire world seems to be completely separated from the island by large spans of ocean. Yet the society of the island always seem to remain relevant to the rest of the world. Be it in technology, language, or the memes of that era.

“The island is overseen by men wearing blue robes. Nobody knows what they look like under the robes, but I guarantee you, they are not strictly speaking human. It gets weirder though The island is home to things that are not in the rest of the world. I don’t just mean like how the Galapagos islands have a few unique species. I mean that the islands have dragons. Bigfoot is occasionally spotted. A unicorn may show up for a lucky few. Fortunately for the people of the island, most of the supernatural parts of nature are found in the gothic part of the island, right next to part of the desert that is home to the cowboys… I told you, the island is not like the rest of the world. I cannot say any more, for I have to go, they are coming for me. They want me for what I did. Just know that you have to stop them. I need you to save everything.”

“It is your purpose, Randy.”




Chapter 2: Pranks

I stare at my phone, confused beyond belief. How can this be? How can someone spend so much time on a prank, and have relatively no punchline? It wasn’t even funny! Seems pointless to prank someone like that and have it not even be funny. Prank calls are getting lazier and lazier. I have to give them credit though, clearly a lot of work went into designing that stupid story. I pull up my phone and dial the number back. He answers.
“What the heck, I said I’m busy! I can’t talk right now.”
“Dude, if you expect me to believe you, I need something more here.”
There is a long pause, “You just have to believe me!” A gunshot sound rings from the other line, “See! I am literally being shot at right now!”
It’s like this guy wasn’t even trying anymore. “Yeah right. That gunshot sounded totally fake. I get too many prank calls a day to think that’s real.” I say, although honestly it sounded pretty real.
“This is not fake!” The man on the other end cries out in pain, “I’ve been shot! You’re idiocracy has got me shot!” He moans in agony.
“That was pretty fake right there…” I say nervously, “Hehe, nice prank guy.”
He let’s out another cry that seems to be a mix between pain and annoyance, “I am going to die here thanks to you, and you still don’t know what to do. I need you to listen.”
I bait him on, “Yeah, sure…” I’m genuinely worried now, but I try not to show it, “What do I have to do?”
“Talk to Pancho Gonzalez downtown. He’s waiting for you. He can get you there.”
“Okay. Okay I will. Where is he?”
“He’s-” A deafening gunshot rings against my ears. Accompanied by the silencing of my friend on the other side. A “person” picks up the phone and begins to talk in a robotic voice.
“It might be wise of you to not follow any of Thomas’ instructions, Randall.” He hangs up.


My heart is pounding in my chest. I sit there in disbelief. I know now, for sure, that all of this is real.


Chapter 3: Pancho

THREE HOURS LATER


I frantically run to people in town, asking if they know a Pancho Gonzalez. However, nobody seems to know him. Confused, I sit down against a wall to some abandoned building. This guy seems completely off the charts. Kind of like this island I’m supposed to go to. I hope I actually find him so I can find what this is all about.

“You looking for Pancho?” A voice speaks from behind me.

I smile and stand up, “Yes! Do you know him?”

“Well, I would hope so.”

I turn around and find a large mexican man’s head popping out of one of the building’s windows. He bears a flocculent mustache. “Oh, so you are him?”

He let’s out a bellowing laugh, “Oh no no… I’m Ronaldo! This is him!”

Another head pops out of a window, belonging to a skinny japanese man, “Hello!” He says in a violently japanese accent, “I am Pancho!”

I stare in shock“...Really?” A hurt look begins to creep upon the man’s face, and I rethink my response, “I mean, uh, great!”

He smiles, “What do you need sir?” he asks.

I frown and look down at the ground, and then respond, “I’m supposed to save the world. According to Thomas at least.” My stomach ties itself into a knot when I realize Pancho is not aware that Thomas is dead yet. I decide to wait to tell him, for the benefit of both of us.

“... So the time has come.” He puts on a serious face, “Please, come inside.”


“How much do you know already, Randall?”

“Randy. I hate when people call me Randall. It makes me sound like a movie character or something.”

Pancho has a look of confusion, then enlightenment in his eyes, but it quickly passes. “Of course. Randy, the average Joe.”

I tell him everything that was told to me. Pancho nods expressionlessly as I rattle off it all. I tell him how I know very little about the island, it’s inhabitants, or who those men wearing blue are. The only thing i don’t tell him is Thomas’ death, for I fear it may shatter him.

After I finish Pancho lets out a sigh, “I have much explaining to do... Ronaldo!”

Ronaldo perks up from across the room, “Yes sir?”

“Fetch us some tea, will you?” Pancho commands.

“Of course.”

Pancho sighs. “Tea helps me relax in times of utmost stress.”

Chapter 4: Destiny


“the island is not normal as you know. It is home to strange, strange people and creatures. Obviously something supernatural is happening here, right? Actually, it is beyond supernatural. It’s an alien force.”

I let a sigh. “Of course it’s aliens. It’s always aliens.”

“It’s an experiment of sorts. Actually, It’s more like a factory.”

“Why would they build a factory here? What are they producing? Couldn’t they build all their stuff somewhere else?” None of this made any sense to me.

“They are not producing a physical product. the island is a factory for... ideas. Creative thoughts. Prompts for stories, or other forms of art. These aliens… they are not very innovational. Compared to us, their art is very primitive. Their logic oriented minds could not compare to our artistic ones. When they discovered us, they realized our potential. They decided to… utilize us.”

I give him a puzzled look. “How?”

“They created the island as an idea collector. Every creative thought you have is transmitted to the island via some mad science, or magic. Either way, the idea is manifested into reality, where the aliens may view. Oh yeah, you know those people wearing blue? They’re not really people at all.”

I pause for a long time and think. “Okay. I get it now.” I didn’t.

“Do you?”

“No.”

He smiles half-heartedly, “You will. But I also have some troublesome news for you.”

My heart sinks in my chest. “There’s more?”

“It is time for us to get rid of the aliens. We don’t want them on our world any more. Unfortunately, you are the one who has to stop them.”

I get a little bit confused, as well as angry. “Why do I have to do it! Why can’t you and Ronaldo get rid of them!” My hands are gripping against the arms of my chair now. Ronaldo jerks upwards after previously having fallen asleep.

Pancho sighs, “I’m sorry Randy, but you are special. You were created specifically for this job. Not by us, but by them. They needed an emergency shutdown mechanism in case things went haywire, and they were not there to stop it. You have the ability to shut down the whole system.”

A wave of shock runs through my whole body. “I… I never had real parents? I mean… I knew I was adopted but… wow…”

“You see Randy, you need to be there for the shut down to complete. You are a human key.”

I sit in silence, head resting on my hands. This being my sole purpose frightens me, yet it also frightens me that I will be abusing my abilities, even if it is for good. However, the thought of doing something meaningful in my life makes me feel like an action star.

“Get some rest Randy. We have much to do tomorrow.” Pancho stands up. “Ronaldo has prepared a bed for you,” He points to a mangled mattress on the floor. “It’s one of our best.”

I slowly make my way over to the mattress, dodging all the trash that lies on the floor of this small, dirty, excuse for a building. “What do you guys even do here?”

“Oh?” Pancho responds. “Oh. Yes, this is our home! Quaint isn’t it?”

I start to have second thoughts about this agreement. “Yeah, definitely cozy.” I say, although really It’s more on the claustrophobic side.


Chapter 5: Alien Invasion

I feel somebody gently shaking me awake. “Randy. Randy. We need you to wake up.”
I shrug the person off, intent on salvaging a few more hours of sleep. “No thanks…” I tilt my head back against the mattress.
“Randy. They’re here.” I look up to find a genuinely frightened look on Ronaldo’s face. “The aliens are here to find you.” He is whispering, but breathing fastly.
“Stay quiet.” Pancho says from across the room. “They are listening for us.”
I feel a frightened look start to creep over my face as well. “What do we do? What should I do?” Rattling off possible solutions in my head leads me nowhere.
Pancho puts his hand to his temple before saying, “You need to continue alone. We cannot help you anymore.” He points to the back door. “There is a biplane parked out there. You can fly her to the island.”
At first I consider asking how they can afford a biplane but not a real house. I also consider asking how it is possible to achieve liftoff in their backyard. I refrain from both. “Good thing I know how to fly, sort of.”
Pancho lets out a sigh of relief. “I was worried you wouldn’t know how…” My pilot’s licence is finally being put to good use it seems. “Inside is coordinates for the island, a GPS, a map, and a handgun, in case things get rough.z’
I do not know how to use a handgun but I bless Pancho anyway. “Why can’t you come?” I ask.
Ronaldo sighs. “As soon as you open that door, they will swarm in from all sides, except for the back of course. We will have to hold them off. Are you ready?”
“Yes.” I say. I start to slowly head toward the door.
“Wait.” Pancho stops me. “We might not make it. Promise me… Promise me you’ll try your hardest.”
“I will. And if you do…” I consider my next words carefully. “Say hello to Thomas for me.” Pancho somehow manages to convey surprise, sadness, mourning, and recognition in one facial expression. He slowly gives me a thumbs up, telling me it’s go-time.
Wind whips at my face as I open the door, and behind me the sound of a door breaking down and walls caving in floods my ears. In front of me is the ocean coast, and the plane sits on a pier, poised to be flown directly into the Atlantic Ocean. Without looking back I sprint towards the plane. I struggle to open the hatch but eventually figure it out. After sitting down I am greeted by an assembly of buttons. The key is already in the ignition. I twist it, and the buttons come to life, flashing and glowing. I evaluate how the plane works, and begin to take off. Before I leave, I take a look back and see Pancho struggling against hands belonging to an unknown body. The hand has six fingers, and is grey in appearance. Pancho has an unmistakable cry for help in his eyes. I ignore him, even though I do not want to. Before long I am in full flight.

Chapter 6: The Fourth Wall


After setting my plane pointed toward the island, I turn on autopilot and sit back. These past two days have been eventful to say the least. All three of the people I have met are presumably dead, and without them, I have no idea what I’m doing. Once I get to the island I don’t even know where to land. Judging by the descriptions I have been given, the island must be ridiculously huge. I don’t even know how I am supposed to disable the system.

The flight is estimated to take two and a half hours, so I decide to relax. However, my relaxation does not last long until I realize where the plane is taking me: The Bermuda Triangle. Suddenly a whole lot of things start to make sense. The thought that I am flying directly into death is terrifying, but also somehow exciting. I recline again, and set an alarm for two hours. Hopefully nothing happens before I wake up.


TWO HOURS LATER

“BEEP. BEEP. BEEP.”
I groan. “Already? That did not feel like two hours.”
“It was actually closer to an hour and 59 minutes, 47 seconds. Motion distorts the movement of time slightly.”
I immediately leap up in terror, and inevitably bump my head on the top of the plane. “Who the hell are you!”
A ghastly figure is present in front of me. The figure vaguely represents a small person, but it is hard to make out a shape. He doesn’t seem like he is real, but at this point I have started to believe anything. “Me? I don’t really have a name. I really only have a purpose. I’m sorry that I must intrude on your story, but you must know something.”
I give the creature a confused look. “My story? What do you think this is, some sort of fairy tale! This isn’t just a game you… you… thing!”
“Well, you see Randy, this may be real life, but it is more than that. I’m sorry to say it Randy, but you’re just a character in the mind of an author. That island in the distance,” He points outside and I see the island is coming up fast. “You were made there. You are just an idea.”
I look at myself and ponder if there is any truth to what this figure is saying. I seem real, I feel real. He must be lying. On the other hand, things have been getting kind of fictionalized lately. Either way, I am confused.
The figure begins to speak again. “An author, who I will not name, learned of this island. After learning of this island he began to speculate wildly as to what secrets it may contain. In this speculation, he imagined you. He also imagined you flying out here, flying your plane into the lighthouse at the center of the island, and shutting down the whole. Because he imagined it, it will happen. Unless I stop you.”
I now realize who this entity is. “Nice try, you artistically stunted idiot. You’re just one of those aliens aren’t you? Probably a hologram too.” I swipe my hand through his body. “You made up this ludicrous story so that I won’t blow up your island. It isn’t going to work.”
The being sighs. “Yes, I am one of the aliens. However, I assure this is very real, and it goes beyond just the island. Your actions will destroy the universe.”
I pause in befuddlement. “What?”
“You were created on that island. The existence of you and everything you do relies on that island. If that lighthouse is destroyed,” I now realize the island is drawing much closer, we are almost on top of it. “You will cease to exist in all timelines. Your existence will be wiped off all of time and space. That leaves us with a paradox, Randy. If you never existed to destroy the island, then it will remain standing. If the island still exists, then you would still exist as well. This would leave you capable of destroying it.”
I can now see the island and the lighthouse in full view. “So if I crash into that lighthouse, everything will cease to exist?” I begin to weigh my options here.
“Correct Randy. Which is why it is important that you turn around right now.” I make out a look of absolute fear in the creature’s face. It almost makes me feel bad for him. Then I remember how his people killed Thomas, Pancho, and even Ronaldo. People who I didn’t know that well, but who sacrificed their lives for me. I remember the promise I made to Pancho, and I know what I must do.

Chapter 7: Infinity

I push downwards toward the lighthouse. The creature is yelling something at me, but I pay no attention. As soon as the nose of my plane connects with the glass of the lighthouse’s lantern, pure energy is exerted in my direction. I feel no pain, for in that moment all of the cosmos was visible to me, every point in spacetime was laid out before me. I could truly see infinity. Within what must have been seconds, but felt like eons, the view was ripped away from me.
Now that I was in this plane of infinite white, the full impact of my actions dawned upon me. My realization did not last long, for within seconds my own thoughts were gone forever, sweeped away into the nothingness that remained.


The author's comments:
I'm not sure what was going through my mind when I wrote this... But I hope you like it.