Starlight: Prologue | Teen Ink

Starlight: Prologue

By writingsamstorys SILVER, Wallkill, New York
writingsamstorys SILVER, Wallkill, New York

"Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if only one remembers to turn on the light"- Albus Dumbledore

Chapter 1; Kee Lively
She screamed among the black. I didn’t know who she was or why she was screaming but I knew I had to get back to her. I knew that I didn’t belong in the arms of the people that where pulling me away from her. I wanted to return to her, to go back to her. I strained against the arms clothed in black silk. I screamed, twisted, and kicked, anything to get away from the people. I could see them now. Their body’s produced mist, and I realized that is what I had mistaken for silk on the sleeves. I looked up, into a gaunt face, guarded by a mask of some kind of liquid. It wasn’t human, I could tell. But I begged, pleaded, tried to convince him to let me free, all the while being dragged towards a strange sort of car. I heard the screams of more people, their voices joining in unison with the single, terrified screech and sob. Another voice echoed before them, in a thick accent I had never heard of. I heard the words it spoke, above the yells of the crowd. “She has been chosen. It was her destiny”. I did not understand what the voice meant, but I felt a tug in my heart, grasping for something unknown, something forgotten. I looked back, away from the two masked figures, towards the crowd that had joined the woman standing in the front; a boy, three girls, about five men, and fifteen women. I could see them all, though the black mist shrouded the rest of the place. I could see the tears on their faces, their mouths when they shouted things at the people dragging me toward the vehicle. A man stepped forward from the crowd and knelt beside the woman standing in front. She was on her knees, still screaming, wet tears running down her thin face. She was calling my name, calling me back. I wanted to go back. However, with one last heave the men in mist pulled me into their car. Her face disappeared with one last sob. I fell, kicked by the men, about five feet down. I hit the floor with a thud, my face down, my blood spilt on the pristine steel floor. I shuddered with cold and loss, and everything went dark.