Thin Ice | Teen Ink

Thin Ice

By Nick-M SILVER, Oak Park, Illinois
Nick-M SILVER, Oak Park, Illinois

-FLTDO-

It was a cold day in the Mountains of Njala, but then again, when wasn’t it cold these days. The ancient monastery was nestled within the peaks where it was physically and mentally cut off from the world. In this building the monks went about their business in private. Whether it be copying spells or ancient tomes, studying astrology, healing or even studying demonic conjurations, this was definitely not the ordinary chapel. As I walked about the marble corridors staring at the stained glass depictions of the 8 gods; I saw Inferuhs, goddess of fire; Isarhe, God of frost, husband to Inferuhs. Yviah, god of the Earth, Veui, goddess of the winds. Niini, god of light, and Iniin, goddess of darkness. Let’s not forget Ririos, the son of death, and Hartu, father of love. I knew I would be late for class because I had dawdled to long in the halls. As a young student in the monastery I had to learn a bit of all the subjects, Reading, writing, mathematics and science. But no history, wallowing in the past hinders the present. Then we must touch base with demonology, sorcery, witchcraft, brewery, alchemy, spying, healing, archery, sword craft...you get the idea. Haven’t thought about what I would like to specialize in but hey, I’m only 13. At present I am on my way to Sorcery, which I guess will be exciting because we are having magic duels today. “You are late Mr. Estel!” said Father Inno, the sorcery teacher. “I’m sorry Master Inno, I got distracted in the hall of stained walls...”
“No excuse! Even though the stained glass is enchanted you know it’s risky to walk through there alone!” He exclaimed his interest most unusually peaked.
“I was-am sorry sir...” I whispered sadly.
“Time for a nice little lesson on the gods students!” Father Inno said, producing a few heart-felt groans from around the room. “Elves, as you are Vonn, were created by Veui, humans were created by Hartu, dwarves by Isarhe, dark elves from Innin and well...that’s it for the sentient races...well boy take your seat!” Ah yes, details, I am an elve. My race stands 7-11 feet tall usually amber feline eyes, fair hair and skin. I am mirror image of this description. Our pointy ears are longer than they used to be due to magic mutation or some other stupid crap theory. “Now class we will be having magic duels as you already know. First prepare your spell before you cast it! If you do not brace your mind and set up protective charms upon yourself you will be subject to counter spells or defeat!”
“Vonn versus Cornelius!” Oh great I’m fighting a dark elf, a master in the black arts! “Set! Prepare! Ready? Duel!” Inno barked as the dark elf launched a bolt of shadows in which I knew he would do. The shadow bolt was horrifying and its twisting ethereal energies began to spark and convulse as its shape constantly got closer. The words to the spell I had prepared dropped from my mind and I almost panicked. “What are you doing Vonn!” Inno roared. Suddenly two words popped into my mind and I screeched them into the air, “Veui Reveui!” all of a sudden the air began to shimmer in front of me. The shimmering form gathered dust from the room and became a tornado. In this tornado were two red glistening eyes. Whenever my eyes focused on it they seemed to vanish and reappear somewhere else in the thing. This...wraith...if that’s the word looked angry, it began to take a humanoid shape. No legs grew but arms and a head did. It looked like a human. It still held a corporeal form yet it seemed to be able to directly affect things around it. A howling gust of air cut of the cheers and jeers of my classmates and destroyed the attacking spell with no effort at all. The ghost shot forward, hungry for the blood of its opponent, the eyes of the wraith glittered blackish-red and it was still howling with the wrath of a tornado at its fingertips. I tried to calm it down, but sensing its master in danger it rushed ahead and shrieked in the Dark elves ears. He fell to his knees, eyes wide with horror and his dark body paralyzed. The conjured twister from the wraith ripped at his body and cloths, and it began raining crimson drops. We didn’t need a teacher to tell us Cornelius was dead. All my classmates backed off as the wraith calmed and turned into a small figurine that looked like knight holding a large shield. A guardian.

Nick-M SILVER said...
Nick-M SILVER, Oak Park, Illinois

-FLTDO-

:) Thank you

Arluanna PLATINUM, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

“Mwahahahahaha! Now you are mine, Lesley-Bird, finally, at last, in my... oh, drat, forgot it had wings...”

-Phil, the youngest Kalins Uzin

I like this! I'm glad you posted mroe XD

Nick-M SILVER said...
Nick-M SILVER, Oak Park, Illinois

-FLTDO-

http ://teenink .com /fiction/sci_fi_fantasy/article/152181/Thin-Ice-2-Deaths-Banquet/
Continuation :D

fearlessalways13 SILVER, N/A, New Hampshire
This is REALLY good!! Write more, please! :)

StanHubertson, Oak Park, Illinois
Very nice, you have a voice.

Natie SILVER said...
Natie SILVER, Jacksonville, Florida

"Struggle as hard as you can for whatever you believe in" -ahaha thats from a Fortune Cookie :D

That was really good!! It was very unique:) I'd love to read more.

-Natie

Slicktrax said...
This sounds like the great beginning of a new series!! Keep it up!

Cousin Ricky

icemom60 said...
Great story!!!!!

Aunt Mona said...
Totally cool story. Keep up the good work.

bobbipin said...
Very good. I would like to read more of this story. Great job! Keep writing.