Ignorance Is the Sweetest Kind of Bliss | Teen Ink

Ignorance Is the Sweetest Kind of Bliss

October 18, 2014
By regan2177 GOLD, Elm Grove, Wisconsin
regan2177 GOLD, Elm Grove, Wisconsin
12 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
The only queer people are those who don't love anyone.



Leah wiped away the thick droplets of sweat beading on her forehead. The scorching out-land heat could be cruel and vicious in the dead of the summer months. But she’d choose this; freedom was much more valuable than any amount of superficially cool, refreshing, air. She trotted on, hiking her weather beaten backpack higher over her sun scorched shoulders, until she spotted the faint, golden, outline of a far off building.
Blinking in blatant surprise, she paused mid-step. She knew there shouldn't be any buildings out here; it was the very heart of the out land desert. None should have survived beyond the date of destruction she knew better than the back of her own hand. Squinting harder, she studied the horizon, confirming that it was, in fact, a building. Her breath caught in her throat. It could either be an old home or supermarket riddled with canned goods and valuable weapons. Or, a rusted, run down warehouse filled to the brim with a dated load of rotting corpses of those victims who were not fortunate enough to make it through society’s demise. Leah shuddered, feeling goose bumps cover her arms for the first time since winter. She began to sprint towards it, nearly shaking with anxiety and anticipation. Dropping to her knees in awe and praise, she finally could make out its mysterious identity.
Tears brimmed in the corners of her eyes – it was an immaculately preserved shopping mall. Leah could almost taste the sweet memories of her mother and her happily buzzing through a shopping complex akin to the one before her. Her mother was gone now – along with the simple world she missed with an aching heart and leaking eyes. But it was as if everything was so simple and trivial once again like an adult participating in the so dearly missed child’s play complete with its bittersweet naivety and ignorance. She could breathe again, it seemed, the aching feeling in her chest melting away and her stinging breathing returning to a normal she had not known in years, decades it seemed. Everything is – okay again. She thought, a calm ecstatic feeling filling her bones.
Picking herself up off the ground and dusting off her jeans, she calmly walked towards its gleaming entrance, mesmerized. As she pushed apart the cool, glass doors of the shopping mall she’d soon come to realize that this was just the short-lived, sadistic eye of the hurricane.

 

This will certify that the above work is completely original

 
Preferences
§
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
0
-
=
Backspace
 
Tab
q
w
e
r
t
y
u
i
o
p
[
]
 
Return
 
 
capslock
a
s
d
f
g
h
j
k
l
;
'
\
 
shift
`
z
x
c
v
b
n
m
,
.
/
shift
 
 
English
 
 
alt
alt
 
 
Preferences


The author's comments:









 







Preferences
















§









1









2









3









4









5









6









7









8









9









0









-









=









Backspace









 









Tab









q









w









e









r









t









y









u









i









o









p









[









]















 











Return











 













 









capslock









a









s









d









f









g









h









j









k









l









;









'









\









 









shift









`









z









x









c









v









b









n









m









,









.









/









shift









 















 











English


















 

















































 


















alt


















alt









 
















 







Preferences