The Thanataphobians | Teen Ink

The Thanataphobians

December 17, 2014
By MadiSkibelsky BRONZE, San Diego, California
MadiSkibelsky BRONZE, San Diego, California
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

I woke up early on the cold winter morning of December 20th. The cold breeze silently blew through the window, making my teeth chatter and the hair on the back of my neck stand on end. I stretched my arms out long and yawned loudly. I stretched my toes and stepped slowly out of my warm and comfortable bed. I longed to stay warm but things were need to be done. I looked out my small and frosty window at the thin blanket of white snow. Sliding my socks and combat boots onto my feet, my camouflage jeans and long sleeve shirt were put on as well. Walking cautiously down the stairs, I tried hard not to notice the purple smoke illuminating a small area of my living room. Shaking my head in denial for death crossed my mind briefly at the sight of it. I packed myself a backpack with extra ammo, my black pistol, and a couple knives just in case. Stepping into the smoke, a sensational blow of hot wind hit my body. I landed painfully on a hard wood floor. I was surrounded by boys of the same age as me, looking terrified.
      
“Welcome my former Portal Championship contestants! If you want to know exactly what’s happening… you are attending the boys’ war for teens at the age of 16. I hope you get along well with others, because you last longer with a group. The goal is to survive 4 days in video game related worlds. Survival hint: there are hidden awards such as food, water, ammo, weapons and aid kits that include bandages and cleaning alcohol.”
       I laughed in spite of myself at how foolish the other 99 boys could be.
       “What’s up?” said a boy in bright colors and a grin on his clean face.
       “The sky? Hahaha. What do you want?” I answered.
       He looked down at his feet while swaying side to side embarrassingly. He walked away awkwardly to the spot assigned it him. I cracked my neck and got ready for the start. The sound of the gun shot was heard loudly across the platform and I sprinted towards the forest. I weaved in and out of trees, hearing gun shots and screams behind me of the unluckiest. Pushing away the tears and painful ache in my stomach I ran without any glance back.
        Gripping the knife tighter in my hand I slipped on the snow. I fell hard on my face. I turned around and panicked at the sight of a boy running my way. I held my breath as he jumped on top of my, slashing at my head. I rolled to the side and threw my knife at his head. The blade landed in the middle of his forehead and he fell backward onto the snow. Hauling myself to my feet, I limped to the second portal. Falling hard onto the dark cement, I whimpered loudly. Blood left my leg through a large and open wound. I thrust the thought away and limped down a hall of old paintings.
        Hearing laughter behind me, I whipped my head around and saw the colors of neon coming closer to me. I ran as fast as I could and turned down weird shaped stairs in the most random of places. Seeing the bodiless monster by the name of Eyez every once in a while. I ran faster as she caught up, taking larger steps every second. Locking myself in a room, I lay down on a couch to rest my leg.
        17 gunshots were heard within the hour of being trapped in the room. A portal appeared in the corner of my room, so I stepped into it. Anything to get away from this place.
       I got almost no air into my lungs, but still I ran. Taking deep, steady breaths. Stopping abruptly, I stared at a large group of strong looking guys. Approaching them quietly I pulled out my knife for safety purposes. The largest of the boys turned around and pointed his bow right at my head. I raised my hands as a sign that I didn’t want to hurt them. The boys laughed at me but lowered their weapons.
       “Came to join us? You need to be able to do more than just run if you wanna join us,” said a short and buff kid.
        “I can shoot. And I’m pretty good with a knife…” I answered.
       “Okay. Let’s see what you’ve got. We will let you join us, but you have to work for your place…”
      “Whatever it takes,” I interrupted.
       We marched through the games like they weren’t a problem. This squad was a totally kick butt team. As we approached the end, Phillip (the leader) turned around to face us. He raised his gun too fast for anyone else to react. He started shooting down his group members, but I reacted unknowingly. I tackled him to the ground and stabbed him in the head. Shaking, I got to my feet. Blood covered my hands and I looked at the mess I made. Looking up, I made eye contact with the boy in the bright colors. He grinned at me, but I frowned. He walked up to me, quietly… creepily. I raised my gun, but he raised his eye brows.
       “Don’t do a deed you will regret in the future. I’m Jack, and I know how to end this whole thing. But I kinda need your help,” said the bright colored boy.
       I followed him to the end, and he threw a grenade into the exit portal. The portal exploded and I jumped backwards at the sound. He turned around with a crazed look in his eye and the background changed from tunnel to office. Jack pulled out his word and started cutting off the people’s heads. I ran out, sweating with fear of Jack.
       The crazed look in his eye, the wide grin. Running down the hall, I ran straight into an are of green smoke. As I swirled in midair, the building blew up. I choked on the smoke but then I fell. I shouldn’t have trusted anyone. I should’ve stayed a loner the whole time. For fate came to those who took advantage of it. My name showed in front, the winner of the last games... Vincent.


The author's comments:

I was inspired to write this piece by the video games I play and movies I watch.