Vadora Chapter 1 (redo) | Teen Ink

Vadora Chapter 1 (redo)

By Samtom311 PLATINUM, Delray Beach, Florida
Samtom311 PLATINUM, Delray Beach, Florida

"I worship individuals for their highest possibilities as individuals, and I loathe humanity, for its failure to live up to these possibilities." -Ayn Rand

Blinkingly bright light; swirls of color flashed before her eyes. A stark portrait danced before her, as an endless tunnel of white mist circled before shadows of black. She was light and heavy; confused and clear. She couldn’t think and at the same time that was all she could do.
Doors and windows flew open all around her, and dark wisps of memories seeped in, crawling toward her; fast and slow. She couldn’t run away, she couldn’t flee; she was trapped in a cage of her own making. All she could think to do was to back away, get far away from this hell of hers. She didn’t want to deal with this, not now and not ever. Tears began to leak down her face as they inched toward her, ever so slow and yet agonizingly fast. She went to wipe her tears and she morphed into pure horror when she found them to be warm and sticky. She drew her blood coated hands away and looked up.
It was here, it was all here. It came in loops and loops and it was all she could do not to vomit on the spot. She couldn’t run and yet she couldn’t fight. Her instincts screamed in frustration as the entire scenario was anything but a choice. It was everywhere, smeared across the floor of the alley, along the walls, leaking out of the black hole. The only light was that of a flickering lamp. Eerie shadows were cast, producing observatories for demons that only knew the life of servitude in darkness.
She couldn’t take it, it was all too much. Her knees buckled and she fell, the blood squishing and seeping through her white dress, tainting it with crimson. She screamed for all she was worth, screamed at her pain and her fear and her horror. And from the depths emerged a face, a face of undeniable beauty. And yet when he opened his mouth, all she saw were fangs; fangs dripping with the glittering opaque remnants of her soul.
How could she have allowed this to happen? The man drew an arm from the bottomless pit and pointed to the end of the alley, smiling that grotesque smile. And in that gesture, she saw her pain, saw her misfortune, saw everything that she wished never to see again. Her hands began to burn and she looked down, her arms engulfed in an endless inferno.
This time when she looked up, she saw not the man, nor the dismembered body down the alley: she saw her own face, smiling right back at her.

Elaina sat up and gasped, her lungs yearning for the air that they were denied for what seemed like centuries. Wires and tubes tugged at her forearms, urging her to lie back down, close her eyes and escape to the realm of the subconscious. So much white; everything was white. Elaina could not remember her dreams though their impression lasted; a feeling of untimely sorrow seemed to be wrapped around her innards. She looked around, her eyes taking in what she could not even begin to comprehend. Whizzing metallic contraptions surrounded her, one beeping erratically beside her bed. Elaina stared in awe at the strange invention, her heart and the futuristic song racing in synchronization. Where was she? How did she get here? What were these…things?
Elaina’s face scrunched up as she tried to remember her last location. It was all hazy, everything. Images of a forest and a man’s hand clasping over her mouth and the feel of pain in her lower back galloped before her mind’s eye. She raised her hand up to her forehead and shook her head. This was all a dream, a dream in which she would wake up and—
Elaina’s eyes widened as realization dawned on her. No. This was not a dream. This was reality. They had drugged her, they had kidnapped her. The mechanical song sped up as she began to hyperventilate. Who were they? What did they want with her?
I’m going to die. They are going to kill me, or worse. Elaina shuddered at the horrific images that played with her mind. She wanted so desperately for them to go away; to leave her alone so she could go through this situation with a level head.
Elaina closed her eyes and began to take deep breaths, convincing herself to be calm, to relax. The song slowed and she opened her eyes slowly, prying them open. Her face remained neutral, as she eased herself back onto the bed, always staring at the silver door in front of her. She would not show her captures fear; she would not give them the satisfaction of her fear. Elaina let out a shaky breath, for though she remained calm on the outside, she couldn’t help but feel her fear lurking within her, searching for a crack in the defense she had built so as to take control once more…
The door to her cell opened, and from the outside world, emerged a stout woman and a charming young man. Elaina sat up as her heart leaped; the therapeutic beeping spiking as well. The woman’s chestnut hair was contained in a tight bun, and her grey eyes were cold and without emotion. She wore glasses and what looked like some sort of suit for women; her white lab coat ran down to her knees and in her hands she clasped a clip board. The man stood beside her, and towered a good two feet above her. He had dark hair and blue-grey eyes so deep that they reminded Elaina of the ocean during a storm. His irises seemed to churn like that of a tremulous sea. His mouth was set in a thin line and his face held a steely gaze. They looked to be related. Elaina was all too aware of the shortness of her gown as she stared at the pair.
The woman stepped forward and lifted her clip board so as to read the documents attached to it. She cleared her throat.
“Are you or are you not Elaina Jaqueline Greene?” She said. Her voice was as cold as her eyes.
“I am.” Elaina replied, cursing herself for her shaking voice.
The woman stared at her for a moment before continuing. “My name is Dr. Catherine Brooks and this is—”
The man cut her off by stepping forward and quickly saying “Nicolas Brooks.”
Varying emotions flicked across the doctor’s face.
  “Anyway,” Catherine continued, obviously annoyed. “You have been brought here at the attention of the International Council to aid us in the battle against the inevitable.”
Elaina blinked. A battle against the inevitable…? What a rhetorical statement. Catherine opened her mouth to say something, but Elaina began instead.
“Excuse me?” Elaina said, her voice hoarse from lack of use. She was astonished at how much her American accent differed from their English ones.
Nicolas took a step forward and raised his arms, the sarcasm in his expression slapping her in the face. “Welcome to the year 2012, Ms. Greene.”
Elaina gaped. There was no possible way that she could still be 19 and be living in the year 2012—unless…
Elaina looked down at her hands and almost sagged in relief when she saw that her hands were as smooth and healthy as they were yesterday—well, as healthy as they could be—when she woke up in her bed, in her time period. 
“What?” She muttered. She couldn’t comprehend this; it was too much for her mind to take. This must be a joke, or a hallucination. 2012? 2012? This was the future? Elaina looked around the room again scanning the white walls and the metallic machines buzzing beside her. This was it?
Humanity has become subject to artificial objects?
“You have been chosen to lead us into a new age.” Catherine said, clasping her hands in front of her. Nicolas looked at Catherine in exasperation.
He turned to Elaina. “Earth is dying. And you are the only one who knows its secrets well enough to fundamentally help us.”
They were crazy; this was all crazy. Her! Knowing the secrets to the planet? She would have laughed out loud if she wasn’t so terrified of what they would do to her.
“I have no knowledge about that. I don’t even understand my own species let alone the entire planet. You need men who have college educations, men who have studied the stars and have done countless experiments. Not a girl who is barely making ends meet and who didn’t even finish school.” She replied, attempting to keep her voice level. Elaina hoped these lunatics would return her to her home soon—would come to their senses.
Nicolas peered at Catherine, a look on his face portraying that this was all there needed to be said. Maybe the doctor’s the only one who possesses no logic what so ever. Elaina mused. Catherine only paid Nicolas a slide glance. Nicolas sighed and turned toward Elaina.
“The Earth is dying Elaina,” He repeated “You have lived a life of accomplishments and were the president of Cantermine Industries for 40 years. You are the most qualified person available to us. You do not understand what is at stake here.”
“Then explain to me.”
He shook his head. “Not here. Not now. This is confidential information and we need to be sure that you are completely and utterly willing to put your all into this project.”
Elaina huffed. “And if I say no?” She tempted.
Nicolas smiled. So familiar. So absolutely familiar…
“If you refuse, then you will visit your future self, and will be forced to live the rest of your life with the misery of seeing how you turned out.”
Catherine glared at her relative. “If you refuse Ms. Greene, your sister will pay for your grievous mistake and you will not be granted your freedom.”
Elaina’s expression hardened. This was real after all. The door opened and through it, bloodied and bruised, her sister was dragged into her room. Elaina stared at her as she whimpered and went into the fetal position. She turned her attention to the scientists.
“So,” Catherine said, a small smile on her face. “Will you join us and help our cause?”
Elaina looked between her beat up sister and the two healthy people standing before her. No matter what she must remain calm, she must maintain an air of serenity.
Elaina raised her eyes from her pathetic relation, and looked into those steely orbs. “No.”

Please feel free to leave comments! I'd really love to see your feed back :)