Put Apart, Taken Together | Teen Ink

Put Apart, Taken Together

By geneticist BRONZE, San Ramon, California
geneticist BRONZE, San Ramon, California

"Shoot all the bluejays you want, if you can hit 'em, but remember, it is a sin to kill a mockingbird" -Atticus from To Kill A Mockingbird

But nucleotides, parts of DNA, are vestigial, useless. Crick watched the man walk further into the distance, as each portion of his body appeared to disintegrate into particles, one by one becoming part of the mist that served as a barrier to his vision, telling him to stop thinking. What did he mean--Nucleotides aren’t vestigial? Just like the army could only function with its formation, nucleotides could only function when put together with its emergent properties. Emergent properties, Crick considered, were the most important rules of life--things could only function when put together in appropriate surroundings. But when did the army come into the picture? Watson isn’t a general of an army all the time. He is just a man.

The unusual coincidence of weather and mood amazed Crick; how did the Sun appear during days of joy and fog appear during days of confusion? The momentary realization only added to the cluster of unrelated thoughts in his brain. As he appeared to the battle sight, nothing stood out of all the blue army uniforms. Crick smirked at the hype created by the community. Every “charitable action” the media highlighted had some sense of selfishness behind it--when Mayor Bill gives one million dollars to the citizen who formed the anti-racism community, Mayor Bill only wants the vote for his next term. Just like that, the United States only had very few heroes who spoke from the heart. The rest just followed to gain. Really, what did the army do, fighting within themselves? Was war actually declared because of moral or religious reasons, or were soldiers fighting so that the president of U.S.A. could gain another term in the midst of war? Soldiers weren’t to be honored. They were to be looked at as victims of politics.

***

Crick stepped into Watson’s house as all of Watson’s family looked at Crick with wide, longing eyes. Crick still didn’t understand how the strange man managed to plan things out with such thought and unpredictability along with a gallant suicide. As he walked into the room, he noticed with ease that the family was one that was critical; every theory they came across was thoroughly analyzed. The charts of presidential elections in U.S.A. and their correlation with wars going on, and the T-Chart of the believable and unbelievable factors of punctuated equilibrium and gradualism showed Crick that Watson and his wife, Rosalind, thought over things. They proved to be mere plant cells with a plasmodesma that transferred information amongst themselves with effortlessness and accuracy. From the normality of their house, there was an abnormal factor as well—one cushion from the couch was fixed near the kitchen counter; the marker tray that was supposed to be below the whiteboard was as far from the whiteboard as it could have been. Just like Watson’s statement about vestigial nucleotides contradicted the rules of emergent properties, the house as a whole didn’t follow the rules of emergent properties. Rosalind didn’t mind Crick’s speculating of the house. Before he could start looking through their drawers, however, she handed him the note Watson wrote before his suicide, which Watson requested to personally give Crick.

Watson’s mystical fog-like figure could be made as Crick read the note to himself word by word:

11-3-94
Dear Crick,
Nucleotides aren’t vestigial. Please recall. And understand. Reductionism, the process of breaking down an object to study it, overrules the rules of emergent properties, the rules which say a structure can only function when put together, by all means. When hearing me talk about vestigial nucleotides, you must have thought, and rightfully analyzed, that nucleotides are vestigial because they cannot function without being put together. But the capability of the human mind proves to move faster than the speed of light. By reductionism, a nucleotide can be studied to its molecular level and can be used to put together a sequence of DNA, and more than that, the sequence of DNA can be analyzed. And wrongfully used.
I am diagnosed with Cystic Fibrosis, and have never been allowed to fight in the army. Yet due to President Guy’s desperateness to declare war in order to cause distortion before the 1995 elections pop up, war authorities didn’t take caution in their check. As for me, this was my best opportunity, as Rosalind and I needed money, so I joined the army and with my luck got promoted as general. I thought I would be caught in no time, as my DNA was put in a DNA database in order for my remains to be identified if and when I died.
My body never shall be found, and my suicide on the battlefield had been planned in such a way. I give you the duty to fight with Rosalind in court so my DNA isn’t accessed from the database; the money I have left for Rosalind will never be given to her otherwise, as I have fought against the law. It amazes me, how such a small molecule can cause such displacement in my life. I want to set an example, Crick. Rosalind doesn’t want my money (even though I’d prefer her having it). Together, Rosalind and I believe DNA should not be accessed for any soldier, and just like the uselessness of war, we don’t want such an important part of the human body to become less special as its supply and accessibility increases.
With Best Wishes,
Watson.

Crick’s hand trembled as he put the note down. Could a human being think critically of the critical mind itself? He recalled Watson’s suicide on the battlefield the day after Watson had spoken to him in person. As being part of the East U.S.A, Crick was jumping up and down for a victory as the soldiers from West U.S.A. appeared to be extinct. Behind Crick, Watson took the gun out of his sack and shot himself. Not once. But so many times that his body appeared to slowly dissolve into the cement he had fallen into. It was a genius suicide. It was done without the knowing of anyone but Crick, as Crick had been in front of Watson because he wanted to congratulate the general for the victory. The rest was just the ignorant, following to gain, side of the army—so dwelled in victory that not even an important death would make them turn around. It was just the news that made them famous, they wanted to consider. If Watson were Mendeleev, the scientist, predicting the unknown elements in the periodic table, the elements wouldn’t have just been predicted—they would be discovered. And that is where, as a general, Watson always contributed to the army’s victory. He wasn’t a general outside of war. He wasn’t just a man, like Crick had perceived earlier. He was a living organism looking to utilize the defects of human nature. And that’s what kept Watson on top.

He looked up at Rosalind with the tears from his eyes reflecting the light that shone from the semi-circular window above the piano. Rosalind managed a slight smile, but also held up something that made Crick get up and rush home. Rosalind had signed the documents of initializing a court case, and she held up the sheet with the washout Confidential printed on it; it was the listing of their court case—district court, 11-7. Only three more days. Watson and Rosalind had to win the court case. For all of those who valued the importance in keeping the parts vital in human nature vital. And Watson. They were setting an example, and Crick knew it.

***

“DNA,” Crick stated, “is a personal issue. Not only it reveals personal information about ourselves, but tells the analyzer about our offspring.”

It was court day, but the District Court bustled with crowds, lawyers, and their companions discussing various cases that seemed, to Crick, nowhere important to his case.

“Discrimination and its cases have done much harm to U.S.A. as a country, and much of it has been caused by DNA. The molecule and its properties,” Crick continued, “shouldn’t lose value as it gains accessibility.” The judge seemed to wander in thought as he completed this statement. Somewhere, as if, he had heard this argument before.

Crick called the DNA Database manager, Tenlaps, up onto the witness stand. After he took the oath, Crick inquired:

“Do you not think one’s unique molecular structure is private information?”

“No. If you use your fingerprints and photographs all the time, which are as personal as DNA, what is the use in just preventing the access from one such molecule?”

Crick smiled. This is what he thought. “See judge,” he said, “personal information is gaining accessibility and supply day by day. This can be easily correlated with gas prices, light bulbs, or any object up for sale. As one’s supply increases, its demand decreases. As one’s supply decreases, its demand increases. This is proportional. DNA, however, cannot lose its value. Its accessibility should not increase so that we can use it to find such a thing as a soldier’s remains. Of all the racial oppression and discrimination,” Crick said as he began to fluently express his thoughts, “one thing all races share is vulnerability. Vulnerability in committing the act that is most tempting, yet morally incorrect. And it is different for everyone. For some, it is finding the wrong information.” He took a breath. “And what I mean is that every nucleotide in DNA is important. Even if breaking the rules of the rules of emergent properties, a single nucleotide can be used, by reductionism, to study the big picture.”

The audience of the court seemed to drag a breath in unison. A quick whisper broke out and the whole court started talking.

“ORDER!” The judge screamed. Quickly the court took its place again.

“My next question is, why is accessing the database for Watson’s DNA so important to you?”

Tenlaps stuttered. “Ih… it was also a potential backup for inevitable emergencies.”

“Thank you.”

Crick started the final statement. “DNA databases have many important values: backups for potential emergencies, a file of criminal record, and a file used to store DNA to identify soldier remains. But what strikes me here is that all three uses are non-overlapping. Why can’t it be the choice of whom it is most important to, to decide whether a dead person’s DNA is to be accessed? DNA is not a vestigial molecule by any means. Even a single base cannot be misused in any demeanor. But why, when it comes to law, is there no choice--no freedom? Can’t databases be avoided?” Crick suddenly decided to stop. “Thank you.”

Rosalind and Crick listened through the opposing side’s arguments. The result was unavoidable.

The judge looked into Crick’s eyes with no expression. He looked too experienced to display any potential feelings.

“The DNA of Watson shall still be accessed. Access of DNA is unavoidable, and must be used, but will not be misused. We cannot let Rosalind choose for Watson, as this sets an example for everyone else. DNA can never become private, especially in the face of officials who deal with it every day. However, Mr. Crick Frank has made an exceptionally moving argument.”

Crick looked at the floor as the court dispersed. Could such a molecule, just like Watson wrote, cause such displacement in life?

***

Rosalind moved to Europe, where the rest of her family lived. Her house, as a result of not getting the money Rosalind had the right to have, had been sold, and using the money, she left. Life was not like it was before. Crick couldn’t be critical of the status quo. When punctuated equilibrium was considered, Crick accepted it. When gradualism was considered, Crick accepted it. His view on society changed completely. The amount of people who looked at the world in a critical manner could be counted on ten fingers. The rest were just affected. Affected?
Crick blinked his eyes. He was affected. Could there be a possibility, that there are thousands of people out there that used to be their critical self, but were affected by a single call, just like him?  Crick called the interviewer whose offer he had rejected regarding the case.

“I’m willing to talk to you,” Crick said.

“Sure sir. May I get your permission for this interview to be telecasted domestically?” the feminine voice on the phone replied.

“Yes.” Crick smiled.

“Okay sir. 5:00 PM.”

“Yes.”

***

“When did you decide to accept this brave decision?” the professional interviewer Creeky Sherman asked.

“I didn’t decide to voluntarily make this decision. I was forced to grasp the decision after seeing the vanity of the human race. When I came to know it wasn’t our choice about who controls our DNA, I knew what I had to do.”

“Sir, your argument about the supply and demand correlation of DNA was just amazing. What other such correlations do you think are out there?”

“Selfishness. The selfishness behind every action out there. There is no more true sense of philanthropy. No more charity for no benefit.”

“Wow. And what have you taken away from your recent loss?”

“The fact that there are millions of losers out there, just like me. That everyone has been critical and ignorant to the status quo at one point of their lives. And I believe it cannot be done with just one person. It requires everyone, all those losers, to come back and gain the fiery on society they once had.”

“Thank you; I cannot ask for anything else after such an inspiring interview. And this is me, Creeky Sherman, signing off from XYZ news.”

Later that day Crick received several phone calls, just like he expected. But one of them was from soldier Bret Tim. He was the one Crick had subjectively condemned to have been following to gain.  Crick suddenly realized he was not special. He was also following to gain. But not following someone else’s thoughts; following his own, original critical thought—the first one that made him such an analytical person—every thought after that was just a replica of the first in all dimensions except one—the heart.

***

DNA databases have been a controversial issue for over two decades. In this story is the life of a soldier who faces the dilemma of fighting for his friend's privacy, or going along with human life, the way it is. Science truly does influence, and will influence many lives. 

Thank you!

ScarlettJ. DIAMOND, West Newton, Pennsylvania

"You are only confined by the walls you build around yourself." "Follow your heart, but take your brain with you." "You were born to be real, not to be perfect."

This is good!