Alice | Teen Ink

Alice

By TheMockingjay14 GOLD, Jonesport, Maine
TheMockingjay14 GOLD, Jonesport, Maine

The bottle begged of her attention, demanding that she take a sip. “Come on Alice, can’t you taste it? Just a little swig. It will help with that headache!” Alice tipped it back, downing it in one desperate swallow. The room began to spin. “If I were looking for a white rabbit, I’d ask the Mad Hatter.” A toothy-grinned jumble of stripes fabricated before her. “Or, you could ask the March Hare. Of course, he’s mad too. We’re all mad here!” The stripes began to fade, giving way to only a rather large, maniacal smile. “You may have noticed I’m not all there myself!” Drunk and dazed, Alice took a few steps backwards, tripped over a toadstool and landed in amongst a large bramble of them. The stripy mass of madness appeared on a fungus above her and laughed. “I’ve never trusted toadstools, but I suppose some must have their good points.” One more sinister grin, and just like that, the stripy-smiler was gone again.
Alice sat playing with a small, brown mushroom, brushing it with her index finger, amused by its wobbly nature. “One side will make you grow taller…” Startled by this, Alice frantically looked for whom this strange voice belonged to. “and the other side will make you grow shorter.” A rather large, blue caterpillar inched his way toward the edge of the toadstool above Alice, a joint hanging from the corner of his mouth. “Go on, stupid girl…you’re only three inches high, and that’s not high enough!” Alice plucked the mushroom from its tiny roots. Holding it up in front of her, she contemplated whether or not she should eat it, unsure of her trust for a marijuana-smoking blue caterpillar. “But you’re only three inches high yourself,” She protested. “Ah, but it’s only morning.” The caterpillar blew out a plume of smoke from the opposite side of his mouth. Alice looked at him, then looked back at the mushroom and without much hesitation, popped it into her mouth. The caterpillar drew another huff off of his joint. “You’re almost Alice,” he said, disappearing over the top of the giant toadstool.