Key to a Locked Mystery | Teen Ink

Key to a Locked Mystery

June 28, 2015
By Emerald01 ELITE, Charlotte, North Carolina
Emerald01 ELITE, Charlotte, North Carolina
182 articles 13 photos 13 comments

Favorite Quote:
"We are always feeling every emotion, but only a few are screaming."


PROLOGUE

Dear April Beck,
Subject: Therapy

Hi. My name is Bella Hurl. Yes, my last name has caused a lot of puking jokes in my life. Oh well, life is too short to be upset about what other people think. I live with my dad. I never met my mom. My dad says that I was left on his doorstep. I know it is silly wanting to meet the women who abandoned me, but I mean, she was my mom. The tiny little note did not have a name. He thinks it was a girl he met at a bar one night, but I don’t exactly know.

Anyway, school is kinda tough. I’m a 13 year old girl with the last name Hurl. Yep, I think that pretty much explains it. My mom keeps me up, though. I would try to contact her, but we don’t know who she is. Besides, if she really loved me, she would not have dropped me off at my dad’s door. Enough with that, though. So, my life is kinda boring, actually. I mean I am in almost every club at my school, but hey college is only a few years away and I need something to get me in. My favorite subject is probably Art. I love how the colors jump on the page. You can use any color and that really brings light to my eyes. I don’t really have many friends or any for that matter, but who needs them? My dad says all you need in life is a cup of coffee and a paintbrush.

Yeah my dad is an artist. That’s probably where my talent comes from also. How humble I am? We paint together. It’s really fun. We talk, drink coffee, and eat cake. Family time right? It may not be the most traditional, but it works for us. I do have a lot of flaws, though. I worry a lot. Maybe thats because I’m a teenage girl and do not know who I am or where my mom is. I know it’s weird, but I do sort of remember the day she gave me to my dad. I have dreams. I was a baby, so how do I keep having flashbacks? They are not very clear, but I will tell you if it gets serious.
Bella


Dear Bella Hurl,
Subject: Therapy

Hi Bella,
This is April. Thank you for contacting me about your problems. I would love to see you for therapy. What time and day suits you best? I have Monday at 3:30. Will that work?
April Beck

Dear April Beck,
Subject: Therapy
That works great see you then.
Bella

 

CHAPTER ONE

January 7, 2025
Dear Journal,
I am off to meet my new therapist April for the first time. I hope she can help me with my issues. First, I must survive school . First period, I have gym then 2nd period, I have science. I have to wait until 7th period for art and then 8th period for math and then my first therapy appointment. Yikes! I am kind of scared. I have never gone to a therapist before. I have just cried on my dad. That may be why he only has one good shirt. Humor also comes to me naturally, ha! I have a weird soul. But hey, life is too short to be normal!!  Anyway, the day went kind of fast, now art. My teacher stares at me like a hawk with a strict glare on her face, probably because, first, she is 74. Yeah, I know, cool how she has not retired yet, but hey, it does make her grumpy and I’m target number one. If this were a dart board, I’d be glued. Then second of all, she probably thinks I am going to do something stupid, but hey I like experiments. Right now the biggest hardship in my life is not knowing who my mother is. Oh well, that’s the bell see you later!!
Bella

January 7, 2025
Dear Journal,
I am a therapist. I became a therapist because I struggled with problems of my own as a teenage girl. I struggled majorly with anxiety. It controlled my life. Writing in my journal helped me adapt to change. I have had you all my life and always will. Yes, I talk to you, Journal. I am really that lame!! Oh well, I’m basically a sympathetic ear for other people’s problems. Is it to cover up mine? I mean, maybe, but I’m satisfied with the way things are. Well, I have to go. I have an appointment. Bye Journal.
April

January 7, 2025
Dear Journal,
Therapy was kinda tough. My phone kept barking whenever someone called me. Yep, barking. They used to ring? I could never imagine that. I did not really know what to say. April kept looking down at her watch shaped like a star. I have a paint brush shaped one. Everyone has a personalized watch these days.
Bella

January 7, 2025
Dear Journal,
I just had an appointment with Bella. She started talking and I did not know what to say. It was so awkward. I have worked with little kids before but not a teenager. I just kept looking down at my watch. It’s a star. I have always had a deep connection with stars because they stand out and keep shining even when the rest of the world (the sky) has shut down. They stay up there and shine bright. My mom really loved them. She died years ago. I guess I get what Bella is talking about, but I can’t talk about myself in her therapy sessions. Hmmm, I need to reach her though.
April

January 13, 2025
Dear Journal,
Hey, wow, I have not talked to you in a while. So today something weird happened. I got a lock of hair in the mail. I mean, come on, a lock of hair? What does that even mean? Oh well, ’til tomorrow for therapy.
Bella

January 14, 2025
Dear Journal,
My anxiety tingles through my throat and out my ears. It’s the anniversary of my mother’s death, I still have not gotten over it. The last words I said to her were, “Get your life together and stop trying to fix mine.” I guess what I meant by that was I was engaged and she didn’t approve. Sure, he had tattoos, rode a motorcycle, and chewed gum all the time, but it wasn’t her decision. I thought if I wanted to mess up my life I could do so. The next thing I knew, I found her stuffed in a cabinet in my room. Of course, I got questioned by the police and so did my soon to be husband Carl. For a while they thought Carl did it but then. . . I have a therapy appointment with Bella, so I got to leave for now. Later.
April

January 14, 2025
Dear Journal,
April finally got through to me!! She told me to paint what my dreams are about. She said to close my eyes and the recurring dream will develop. I softly shut my eyes as a picture appeared. It was a big city with people everywhere. I am not sure what this means, but hopefully I will find out soon.
Bella

January 17, 2025
Dear Journal,
I have been thinking a lot about Bella. I know it is weird, but her painting stood out to me like I should have known it. These past years have been so blurry, but I feel like I’m missing something. Should I tell Bella about my mom? There’s something about her. I feel like I can relate to Bella. I have flashbacks of my mother’s death. They never found the killer and that really gets me. It also gets me that my anxiety is holding me back from fighting for justice.
April

January 21, 2025
Dear Journal,
I’m rushing on my fire powered roller skates coming home from April’s office. It’s kinda hard to write in your journal on the road and boy, is traffic a nightmare. So, I learned a lot today. Apparently April’s mom was killed. We both discussed our dreams. I told her about the lock of hair I got. She shivered and worry crossed her face.  “April?”, I said. She just kept shivering and then said she had to go and ran off.
Bella

January 21, 2025
Dear Journal,
My heartbeat is racing. My jaw is sore. I can’t feel my legs. I’m freaked right now. Staring at the computer screen, downing a tub of mint ice cream. I have to get out of here.
April

January 30, 2025
Dear Journal,
So, yesterday I was supposed to have an appointment with April. I went into the office and asked the lady where she was and she said that she had not heard from April in days. I tried calling April. It just went to voicemail.
Bella

 


CHAPTER TWO

February 11, 2025
Dear Journal,
I’m soaring through the sky right now, surrounded, tilted, and moved by air. I booked a flight to New York and that’s where I am headed. When Bella told me about the lock of hair she was sent, a memory flew in to my brain. I closed my eyes and then I remembered. I remembered one night I heard my parents arguing downstairs. I cannot remember exactly what they were saying, but I plan on figuring it out. That’s where I am headed. I need to see my dad. Right after my mom was murdered, I freaked and moved away, and never looked back. I have flashbacks like I was there when she got killed. I remember being handed a lock of hair and that’s the thought that keeps me up at night. I should contact my dad to tell him I am coming. Well, I’ll see you later, Journal. We just hit the ground. Got to go. Bye.
April

February 15, 2025
Dear Journal,
Nobody has seen or heard from April in days. I am getting worried. So, I am going to hack her email. I’m actually good with computers, believe it or not. And I am in. I know this may be wrong, but did curiosity really kill the cat?? I mean if it did, every cat would be dead. I mean name a cat thats not curious. Anyway, back to April’s email. She actually sent one today, a few minutes ago actually and this is what it read:

Hello Dad
Subject: New York
Hi Dad,
Wow it has been a while since we have talked. Sorry I left and never told you where I was. I am in New York. Do you still live at the same place?
April
NEW YORK? WHAT!! Hm, well this makes this mission a lot easier. I am snooping on her email when another email pops up. It’s a reply which reads….
Hello April,
We do live at the same address. We would love to see you. Come by whenever.
Love,
Dad
Hmm this just got interesting.
Bella

February 15, 2025
Dear Journal,
I just got off the plane. Now I am lost in the airport. I emailed my dad, by the way and got a reply. He lives at the same address. I was kind of scared that he did not live in New York anymore ,but luckily he does.
April

February 15 , 2025
Dear Journal,
I really wonder why April went to New York right after freaking out after my therapy session. I’m trying to figure this all out, but can I on my own?
Bella

February 15, 2026
Dear Journal,
So, I’m here in the apartment I grew up in. I just got here. My dad was really nice. Nicer than I thought after I left and did not tell him where I was going or where I was. Then, he asked me why I was here, said that it was fine that I was, but it seemed like it was more than a drop-in. I said I wanted to figure out who killed Mom. He replied with, “What? Mom’s not dead.” My head was spinning out of place.
“Mom’s not dead?”
“No, She’s here.”
What was going on? Wait, the email it said, “We would love to see you,” not I but we. Oh my gosh, this is happening.
“So where is she?” I asked.
“She is, um, at work,” he said, confused. “April, you thought your mother got murdered?   Is that why you left?” he asked.
I sat there frozen. I didn’t know what to say. Then I heard the door open. I turned and saw a familiar face.
“April, you’re here!!”
“Mom?” I asked Tears were streaming down my face.
“April honey, what’s wrong/“
“I-I thought you-you-you were d-e-a-ddd,” I cried.
“What?” she said. “I’ve been here this whole time.”
I shivered as my parents grabbed me into a hug. I glanced down at my phone. 16 missed calls from Bella, Wow, I needed to talk to her. It’s only fair since I ran out of her therapy session. I stepped into the bathroom and called her. I apologized and told her I’d be back soon. She begged me to tell her what happened. I told her that I came to see my dad about my mother’s murder and that there’s a confusion and I’ll be back soon. Ugh, I’m such a bad therapist. I’m not even there for my client. Have I helped her at all? I mean she just wants to find her mom. Ugh, I made this all about me, like I do most things. What am I going to do?
April

February 20, 2025
Dear Journal,
I’m back home. I decided I needed to control my issues on my own and not put them on Bella to help with that. I tried to contact a therapist to see if I could start seeing her.

Dear Julie Johnson,
Subject: Therapy

Hi.  My name is April Beck. I thought my mom was murdered years ago. I have flashbacks and memories of this happening. I recently went to New York City to see my father about all of this. I was surprised when my mother was there. I really have no clue what’s going on in my brain. I could really use your help.
Thanks,
April Beck

Dear April Beck,
Subject:Therapy

Hi April,
This is Julie. Thank you for contacting me about your problems. I would love to see you for therapy. What time and day suits you best? I have Thursday at 2:00 open.
Julie

Dear Julie Johnson,
Subject: Therapy
Perfect!!
April
February 20, 2025

Dear Journal,
Now I have a therapist!! WOO and I have an appointment with Bella.
April

February 20, 2025
Dear Journal,
April is finally back; she said she has a therapist. Anyway, we went on about trying to find my mom. I literally have no clue who it is or why she did not want me. I’m 13; I need a mom to fight with!! Every girl I know has a mother to fight with, but me. My dad is not really into fighting. He believes in peace, painting, art, coffee, and spending time and having fun with me. LIFE!! Anyway I keep having dreams. It’s blurry.
Bella

February 24, 2025
Dear Journal,
  I had a session with Julie. It went well, I guess. She had me tell her all of the memories I had of my mom before she (well, before I thought she) died.  We were close right up to my engagement. I just wish she supported me.
April

February 24, 2025
Dear Journal,
April was great. I feel bad, though and really wonder what is going on. I just hope I can help her somehow. Life is tough. I just got my drinking problem under control, since it resulted in bad decisions. I just hope I can help April. Gosh, this must be hard for her.
Julie

February 25, 2025
Dear Journal,
Today my art teacher died. I know she hated me, but it still was a shock. She was 74, so not that much of a shock. Still she was nice even if she didn’t like me. I really wondered why. She seemed sad a lot and that got me down. They said she fell down the stairs and hit her head. My fingers lingered over my eyes, shading out the tears. I know it’s weird to be so upset over an old cranky art teacher. But it was she and my dad who inspired me to want to be an artist. She was so good and made it look so easy. I really wish my mom was here to hold me and tell me it is going to be okay. My dad’s great but I need a mom so bad.
Bella

February 28, 2025
Dear Journal,
It’s not just the death of my teacher that made me want my mom here. I am 13 years old. I am a teenager, finally. I am growing, um, and not so sure that I want to.
Bella

 


CHAPTER THREE

                                                         5 YEARS LATER
February 28, 2030
Dear Journal,
I have the same therapist. It has been five years and Julie has not helped me learn anything about my mother. Bella got a new therapist. Can you blame her? She needed help and I couldn't give it to her. I really wanted to. Whatever, Bella has probably forgotten all about me. As for me, therapy is so awkward. I hate talking about my feelings. Who knows what I feel? Should I? Do I? I am just impatient, I guess. God, why am I so impatient?
April

February 29, 2030
Dear Journal,
April has been working with me for 5 years. I am kinda surprised she has not quit or that I have not quit. I give up on everything. That’s probably my worst flaw. When times get hard, I freeze. Ugh, I keep trying to help her, but come on, talking about recurring dreams? I also ask her about her mom, how they got along, if she had any fears of death? Stuff like that. Come on, though? Does it help? I need to connect. Then I might actually help her. I am Julie Johnson after all.
Julie

February 29, 2030
Dear Journal
I will be going off to college soon. After I quit therapy, I decided I needed to find out what happened to my mom and where she is on my own. My mind traveled, full of ideas. My dad brought me up a cup of coffee. “Thanks dad,” I said. He winked and asked what I was working on. I was not sure if he would let me do what I was doing if I told him. But then he surprised me by saying, “Looking for mom.”
“You know,” I said.
“Know? I have known you have needed a mom your whole life. Bella, here’s the thing. I love you so much, but to want to get attached to someone just because they share the same DNA as you…”
I interrupted by saying, ”Yeah, you’re right.”
“AWESOME.”
“What?” I asked.
“Bella, you have been so sad these days. I will do anything for you.”
“Are you serious?”
  “Dead,” he answered, as he grabbed my laptop.
“Now, what we need to do is, yeah… I got nothing.”
“Well Dad, do you know who you met? List every women you have ever flirted with.” He smirked, as I snatched my pen and a piece of paper.
“You are going to need a bigger list,” he said.
I rolled my eyes. “I’m starting to see why whoever my mom is left you,” I said.
“Bella, we’re going to find her.”
He typed on the computer. I crossed my fingers in hope.
Bella

March 3, 2030
Dear Journal,
My stress level is raised. I cry all the time. My anxiety was bad when I though my mom was murdered. I mean I am glad she is alive, but what happened to me? I just really need to figure this out. I cannot breath right now. Oh my gosh, what am I going to do? I need help. I need-I need. My pen is shaking out of my hand. I need to call Julie while I still have the control to do so. I-I am having a-a-a seizure. ..
April

March 3, 2030
Dear Journal,
Something scary happened a few hours ago. I got this call from April saying she was having a seizure. She will be okay. She is in the hospital now. When they found her she was lying on the floor.
Julie

March 4, 2030
Dear Journal,
I woke up this morning. Flowers, gifts, and candy were all around the room, and this stranger was right there.
“Hey,” she said.
I asked her where I was and who she was.  She told me I had a seizure and that she is my therapist and her name is Julie. I touched my face. My memory was blank.
Julie said, “I called Bella. You have been sad and I thought she might be able to cheer you up.”
“Bella? Who is Bella?”
“You had therapy sessions with her.”
“Wait. I am a therapist?” I said.
“Yeahhhhhhh,” she said, confused.
Then, a face popped in.
“Bella!!!!” Julie says excitedly.
“Hi,”the girl says and rushes over to me. “April, you’re okay. Thank God! I was so confused. I did not remember anything.
“So how do I know you again?” I asked, confused.
She stuttered, “What do you mean how do you know me?”
Julie explained that I have lost some memory. She stared at Bella for a matter of time.
April

March 4, 2030
Dear Journal,
I saw April today. It seemed she did not remember me or anything for that matter. I want to bring up her mom again but I don’t know how or if I should. I need to help her re-gain feeling and find my mom at the same time!!
Bella

March 4, 2030
Dear Journal,
I am glad April is okay. She does seem to not remember much anymore. I am just trying to decide if she really cannot remember or if she is just choosing not to. Anyway, I saw something in Bella, something strange. I do not really know. . .
Julie

March 4, 2030
Dear Journal,
I am confused about these two people, Bella and Julie. One is my therapist and I am the other’s therapist? Why would I need a therapist in the first place? Ugh, this is so confusing. I need to clear my head. Oh right, it already is cleared, of everything.
April

March 8, 2030
Dear Journal,
My dad drove me up to Green Unit Hospital to see April again. “You sure you can do this”? he asked. “Bring it on,” I said as I strode in the glass doors. I was supposed to tour more colleges today, but that will have to wait. I guess this whole mother thing will not work out.
Bella

March 8, 2030
Dear Journal,
I looked back at my past entries Julie brought you when they took me to the hospital in an ambulance. Anyway, back to what I found. Apparently, I thought my mother was killed and then went to New York to see my dad and she was there? Also, I received a lock of hair? Bella is trying to find her mom cause she was left on her dad’s doorstep?? I have anxiety, was freaking out, then had a seizure and I’m here? What? I was taking all of this in when I heard a knock on the door. A tall skinny figure walked in. “Bella?” I said asked.
April

March 8, 2030
Dear Journal,
When I entered April’s room, she asked me if I was Bella, as if she really didn’t know.  “Yes,” I said awkwardly. “Hi, are you feeling any better?”
She sighed and said, “A little dazed sounds more like it.”
I didn’t know what to do. She doesn’t remember me at all. “I went to you for therapy,” I reminded her.
She nodded slowly. “Yeah, I actually read through my journal and know a little more now.  “Oh,” I said, “so, um, you know why you’re my therapist?”
  “Sort of, are you the girl who was left on her dad’s doorstep?”
I laughed, “Ha, yep that’s me, the girl who was abandoned.”
April shivered and then said, “And my mom was killed, but she wasn’t pretty much sums it up.”
I nodded slowly then April’s eyes closed and she drifted off to a long sleep. I whispered “bye” and scurried out the door.
Bella

March 11, 2030
Dear Journal,
April is back. We had a therapy session today. She is trying to gain feeling again. I ask her if she remembers anything. She said she remembers shaking and falling, bleeping lights, and screams.
“Ok, thats good,” I told her. “So you remember the day you had your seizure?”
“Yeah I guess,” she said, then placed her head in her hands.
“Do you remember anything else from that day?”
“No, I don’t,“ she said, her face blank with confusion, her eyes wide. She looked tired and dazed. I told her about our previous sessions. She asked a few questions and nodded her head slowly.
Julie

March 11, 2030
Dear Journal,
I had a session with Julie. Apparently I have had her as my therapist for 5 years. She told me that I thought my mom had died but then went to visit my dad about it and she was there. She also said I had dreams about it. I am so confused and just was to lie down, take a long nap, and relax.
April

March 11, 2030

My dad is helping me a lot with this whole finding out who my mom is thing, while all I can think about is April. She was my therapist 5 years ago. Why am I so obsessed with this now? She needs to remember if only she wants to. April is not the type of person to do things without a reason. I need something to get her to look in on her life. Hmmm, but how? I’ll think of something, hopefully, so I can move on with my life.
Bella

March 15, 2030
Dear Journal,

My alarm beeped. I looked at the time. 1:00? Seriously I slept in that late? I heard a knock on the door. I groaned then lazily went down to see who it was. I got to the door and looked through the tinted glass. Nobody was there. There did seem to be something there. I swung the door and heard it click as it opened. However, there was a small box with a ribbon tied around it. I opened it, my heart racing. A lock of hair. Wait I-I…. Flashbacks of my life popped in my head. Walking, talking, planes, writing, cabinets… My face turned ruby red. W-Wh-Wha-Whatttt was going on…
April

March 15, 2030
Dear Journal,
Yep, I’m responsible for the lock of hair, but you have to understand my client was in danger. Bella emailed me and told me she was worried so I sent a lock of hair. I’m just trying to make sure I take care of April.
Julie

March 15, 2030
Dear Journal,
I am kinda worried about April. I emailed her therapist. She said she had a plan and would take care of it. I just hope whatever Julie did, April won’t take it to far. I’ll be going off to college soon. Going off to Elon University. I am sort of excited and sort of scared.
Bella

March 15, 2030
Dear Journal,
The lock of hair? What did that mean? Every time I looked at it I felt a twitch and my life came in front of me. When I stared at it, it brought back memories. I didn’t know at all. What to do or where to go? These were clues, clues to my life. Why couldn’t I figure them out? I studied the hair some more, but nothing. I went to plug my phone in. It shocked me and electrocuted me. I fell on to the ground. I tried it again and again and again, with the same result. I thrust my head back but something was different…The hair..It was, um, glowing. Was that why I electrocuted myself? I put the lock of hair through the outlet. I waited for a few seconds and sighed in failure. Then all of the sudden the wall moved. A secret passage way? To what? There was a door like a barn door. I pushed it open and walked through, it was dark and I could barley see. I turned each corner right up to where I saw light. It was a village with light blossoms, flowers, kids skipping, it looked like a happy land. I walked around this world happiness of laughter. These people greeted me. They were so cheerful and nice as I walked through it. This was unbelievably awesome. Then, I saw something. Oh no. OH NO What wha-
April

March 16, 2030
Dear Journal,
I typed into the computer every name combination I could think of see if anyone looked kind of like me. I have tried like everything I can think of. Nothing works. I wish I could find the answers for everything. Whatever. Why do I even care anymore? I’m now actually an adult, so why do I still want a mom?
Bella

March 16, 2030
Dear Journal,
I woke up this morning, my mind blank, my eyes bloodshot. Where was I? I could tell I experienced a shock yesterday, but what? I didn’t remember anything.  At all. I was confused. I remembered putting a lock of hair in an outlet? Huh? What does that even mean? And I remember walking through a door. I explained this all to Julie. “Hm,” she said, “You realized something dramatic and graphic. I did not know what she meant. How could she tell just by what I said, dramatic and graphic? I’m a therapist I should be familiar with these little peek holes to the mystery lying behind the surface.
April

March 17, 2030
Dear Journal,
I sat on the couch looking through clips my dad took of when I was a little. When I walked for the first time, said my first words, spit up food, crawled for the first time. I noticed something in one of the videos on my dads computer. I zoomed up closer. There was a women in sunglasses and a hoodie, walking up our driveway. I couldn’t see who she was but why would someone walk up our driveway? I was already found on the doorstep by then. Why would she come back? Her hair was tucked back in the hoodie. I could tell her head was tilted downwards.
Bella

March 19, 2030
Dear Journal,
I am standing around doing nothing. I remember a lock of hair and an outlet. Why do I remember putting the hair through the outlet. I also looked back at previous journal entries but nothing. It surprises me I would not have written anything in my journal. Either that or the pages were ripped out ,but that would have meant someone was in my room.
April

March 22, 2030
Dear Journal,
Wow, I have not talked to you in a while. So I went into the fantasy world behind my wall again. They said that the first time you enter, your memory is cleared, but if you come back it’s there. I’m not supposed to tell anyone about it. They said if they get the wrong kind of people in there, bad things happen. If a bad thing happens to you, get this, you don’t remember. It is such a happy and joyful environment. I wish I could take Bella there. I think it would help her, but I am not supposed to tell. Shhhhhhhh.
April

March 23.2030
Dear Journal,
I asked my dad if he recognized the girl in the video. He said he couldn’t see her well enough and to be honest neither could I. She might be my mom. She could. She is? I honestly didn’t know. I zoomed in closer. She had a bag, it was a white bag with red hearts. That didn’t help. Anyone could have bought that bag, and besides it was 18 years ago. She probably wouldn’t still own it. Wait there was a big coke stain.
Bella

March 23, 2030
Dear Journal,
I dreamed about the happy land. I hope something tragic does not happen to me so I will never have to leave this feeling. Who knew this was connected to my room? Everybody is so happy and giggly and smiling. I like life now, but this is just a whole new ball of wax. They only accept people they know aren’t going to cause trouble. They say they put the door purposely attached to my house.
April

March 26, 2030
Dear Journal,
April keeps telling me about this imaginary, happy world. What does this even mean? Is she dreaming? She has skipped or been late to a lot of therapy sessions. Is this why? Am I worried? Should I do something? Bella and April are both moving along with their lives. Why am I not? April told me Bella’s whole life story and Bella was so concerned with April. Is it good they are moving on and focusing on their own lives? I mean yes, probably, but what if they do something wrong? I don’t think either of them would like the taste of doing the wrong thing. Oh well, it is their lives they can do what they want.
Julie

March 28, 2030
Dear Journal,
I was in my world having a ball. Everyone is so nice. There seems to be no hate. I then began to see in my mind a corner, a dark corner. It was like a flashback. I gasped. I have been there before. I then looked around the whole world, moving wall to wall, everyone grinning ear to ear right up until where the brightness of the leaves and sun were not so bright anymore. As I kept on walking, the walls seemed to get close and the air was darker. I turned my chin and there was some fabric in a dumpster. It looked like it was good, too. Why would anyone throw that away? I looked through the dumpster and then this head popped up in front of me. It was a familiar face. “Oh God,” I said. My face screamed out in surprise and sadness. “Mom?” I said softly, tears erupting on my face. But if she is alive in the human world, how is she dead here? This is so confusing. Wait a second, she was also bald. I don’t remember my mom being bald.
April

March 28, 2030
Dear Journal,
School is almost over. Well, I’m getting there. High school is almost over. Can you believe that? I should be dancing with joy, but no. I know I should not care so much about my mom leaving me on my dad’s doorstep 18 years ago. I do though. I really do. I just want to know why she would want to leave me. What happened that was so bad that she did not want me in her life?
Bella

March 28, 2030
Dear Journal,
What happened yesterday still haunts me. I just don’t get it. If she got murdered in that world how is she still alive in this world and does not remember it? Wait a second the people in the village said you don’t remember on the first day or if you have something tragic happen to you. Something tragic like being killed?? Oh my gosh, that was what I witnessed. They also said only certain types of people are allowed to join. What if they let someone join who was not a good person, and this person became friends with my mom, she trusted them, then they killed her? Wait one second, my mom always said she could never imagine shaving her head. It just gave her a twitch of disgust. What if she told that to this person and she is bald now? I am so tired.

I am back now, Journal. I closed my eyes, pulled the covers up to my head and fell sleep. I think I was trying to escape my thoughts when all of the sudden another thought appeared. I was sitting in our apartment in New York. I went in to my parents room to watch TV. I curled up in a corner to watch. Then all of the sudden, my mom walked in, grabbed her locket in the shape of a star and put it through the outlet. The wall opened. I asked her what was going on and she said she really had to go. I wouldn’t leave her alone so she grabbed me. We stopped and talked to a lot of people. Then I remembered walking into a dark hallway. There was a man. I could not make out his face. Then I remembered a razor,and I was given a lock of hair, her hair. Oh my gosh. Bella, the lock of hair this has been connected to me the whole time. They did that so I would look more into this case. Then the man said to me “I did this for you. She did not care for your decisions about getting married, but don’t worry, Daddy loves you, Pumpkin.” I started sobbing. “Dad?” This makes so much sense. He knew all of her secrets. How could he get away with this? How would I explain it to the cops? They would never believe me. I did go to the imaginary world, though and I saw my dad. I was able to provide the evidence so he is locked behind bars for life in that world. At least I know what happened now. I had to tell Bella and Julie. I called them both. We met in Julie’s office. I told them everything.
April

March 28, 2030
Dear Journal,
I met with Julie and April today.  April told us everything she learned about her mom. I went to hug her. Then out of the corner of my eye, I saw a bag. Not just any bag, but the bag in the video. It had a coke stain. OMG, I thought. Could it be her? I then texted my dad to come here. A few moments later my dad appeared. Julie’s face went the color of dust and my dad’s eyes told it all. “I-I know you.” Julie was crying and nodded slowly. “You do,” she said tears dripping down her rosy red cheeks. I started crying as well.
“Wait, I said, “You’re…
Julie nodded slowly. “Yeah, Bella. I’m your mom.”
“Why did you leave me,” I yelled, my heart racing, bones shivering.
“Bella, I had a drinking problem and couldn’t get it under control. I did it to protect you.”
“No, Julie, you did it to protect you,” I said, my heart beating across my chest. I walked towards the the door.
“Where are you going,” she asked. I lied and said I was going to the bathroom. I went in that direction then down the spiral staircase to the front doors. I ran out to catch some air, bury myself in the grass, and hide in my thin arms. I felt a tap on my shoulder. I looked up with my teary red eyes there stood April.
“Hey,” she said.
“Hi,” I said. “I’m sorry about, you know.”
“No I get it,” she said then gives me her hand. I stood up and we hugged.
Then I said, “You think I overreacted?”
“No,” she said.
Before I could respond, Julie ran up to me.
“Bella,” she yelled. I started to walk away, but April pulled my arm back. ”Bella you are very smart for your age. You can do what you want, but if you have learned anything from your mom, don’t do something you will regret”. Then she left.
Bella

March 28, 2030
Dear Journal,

My conversation with Bella:
“Bella, I am so sorry. I really did love you. I thought she would say something like, “Why did you leave’” but instead she surprised me by saying, “I know. I would love to get to know you”  “Me too,” I said. We hug for a long time.
“Do you just want to forget all about this?” Bella said. I said I would.
“Cheesecake Factory?” she says.
“I would love that.”
Julie

 

EPILOGUE


ONE YEAR LATER:

March 28, 2031
Dear Journal,
I am going home to visit Julie (well, Mom) and dad. I am super excited and get this they are getting married!! Life could not get anymore crazy. At first it was a little awkward with Julie because we just met and had a lot to discuss, but she is really nice and super funny. Christmas break was really fun. I got to bond with everyone and everything. College is awesome. I am coming home for my parent’s wedding!! I love them both so much and cannot imagine my life without them!! It feels good to let go. Ha ha oh got to go I’m at the house never could have been happier to be home.
I’m back, Journal. I walked in the front door and was surprised to see all my closest friends and family. I went right up to Julie, my dad, and April. We were exchanging stories and love when all of the sudden I saw a lock of hair glowing in the foyer I looked to my right and saw an outlet glowing. Why were they both glowing? Everything else was normal. I put the hair through the outlet.  A wall opened and I walked through the barn-like door. I saw people dancing through the village… The story ended, but the mystery lingers on.