Mirrors | Teen Ink

Mirrors

By curly_sue13 BRONZE, North Richland Hills, Texas
curly_sue13 BRONZE, North Richland Hills, Texas

"If you cannot do great things, do small things in a great way." - Napoleon Hill

My life is full of mystery. I can't seem to know what's going to happen next. I look at other people that know exactly what's going on in their lives. Whether that be the new job or the baby on it's way.

So, why can't I do that? Why can't I just control what's going on and why can everyone else?

These thoughts go through my head every morning when I look in the mirror. I brush my long hair in thought trying to think of answers that my mind does not have. but, when I think I'm almost to the answer I'm interrupted by the sweet sound of my mother's voice.

"Honey, it's time for breakfast!" I'll here her say each morning from downstairs.

Today was different. My mothers cheerful voice was absent. And the silence was swallowing me whole.

I creep down the carpeted stairs wondering where she was. As I walk down I hear the sound of glass shattering in my room.

Forgetting about my mother I run in my room to see what was making the sound. I burst into my door and see my mirror shattered on the ground. Each shard of glass a little different then the other. Each unique in its own way.Like people,  we all have our edges but yet each edge reflects what we've been through. We're all scattered around and were all once whole but were broken.

I turn to see a figure jump through my window and run off towards the shed in my backyard. I run through my backdoor trying to see the thing that smashed through my mirror.

I swing open the army green door and see my grandmothers old mirror shattered and my mother running with the person.

"Mom!" I yell and she and the person turn around.

I can't believe my eyes! An exact replica of me stands next to my mother.

My mom, obviously confused, turns her head back and forth like she's watching an intense ping pong game. She pokes my cheek ever so slightly as if I may disappear at any moment. She turns towards the other me and does the same.

"Are you Emily?" she asks me and I nod before grabbing her hand but she pulls away.

"Or are you Emily?" she asks replica me. The Replica nods.

My mother,obviously confused, pulls away from the both of us and runs away not sure of what to do or where to go.

I turn towards The Replica and whisper to her: "Who are you?"

"You." she replies.

Unsure of what to do I run, run as far away as possible. I turn only to see her right next to me.

"Where did you come from?" I ask her stopping.

"The mirror." she says staring at me as if I should know that she busted through my mirror.

I then realize, it's not about where she came from it's about how to get her back. This girl is just another side of me that I myself haven't discovered yet and will in the future. But right now she needed to be back in her world where she belongs.

"You need to go. I know I'll see you one day but right now, you need to be doing something to change the world whether that be in the mirror or in my mind." I tell her before closing my eyes.

But when I open them she's gone.

I loved wrting the piece because honestly it says so much to different people. This piece goes deeper than just your screen. If you take a look and read over them you will understand why you read it or what it has to do with your life.

Beila BRONZE said...
Beila BRONZE, Palo Alto, California

"The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco." -Mark Twain

Again, the first word that comes to mind with this piece is "interesting." Intriguing. You have a lot of talent under the surface; you're just still searching for the best way to let it through. You have a lot of great components in this story, but they don't all come together yet. I love the symbolic meaning of the mirror, the self-reflection that becomes a real confrontation between two distinct characters, the smattering of dialogue in there, and a lot of your imagery. I think you need to focus on flow and organization. Try to edit your writing to see if every word serves a purpose as you work toward one big conclusion. In a polished piece, each consecutive sentence should build on the last to create an evolving, complex final product that masterfully connects to the reader with one big SO WHAT? at the end. Keep writing--you will get there. Wishing you the best of luck!