Hunter's Last Stand | Teen Ink

Hunter's Last Stand

By ThomasWestfall GOLD, Newell, Iowa
ThomasWestfall GOLD, Newell, Iowa

Be The Change You Wish To See In The World
~Mahatma Gandhi

My name is Twist Deltin, and I am the the youngest leader of the Hunters. The Hunters are the most elite military branch in the world. For the past 10 years, Earth has been fighting an alien race, known as Blisters. When I was little, my dad was a leader of the Hunter’s, and I wanted to grow up to be just like him. When I was 14, my dad died, in an assault on the mother ship, of the Blisters, while trying to destroy the Blister Queens egg, so the Blisters could not repopulate. My mother had told me what had happened, and she smiled and told me, “Twist, if you really want to be a Hunter, you can do it. I believe in you, and you will make us proud like your father did. He was brave…” She started crying again, and went to her room. That day, I made an oath that I would do what my dad died trying to do.

“Okay Hunters, this is the mission. Today we go into the mothership and destroy the egg! I said, trying to see if this time, we can finally have global piece. Over 500 people got up, and screamed because they had hope that this is time for us to eliminate the Blisters.
After the speech, the rest of the squadron and I were put in our stealth fighter jet. As we got closer, I said, “You all have families at home, don’t be scared. Just get your jobs done, and fast.

When we finally got to the mothership, we got on the landing pad,  and charged through the front doors. “Bingo, throw a grenade by the big door, then run! Everyone, as soon as Bingo blows up that door, run and make sure your guns are locked and loaded, and attack.”

I thought we had at least ten minutes after the bomb has been activated. Well, I guess I was wrong. We ran as fast as we could, but I was scared that my squad wouldn’t make it out alive. As I neared the open space where we could escape, I looked behind me, and could only see a dark outline of a man. I couldn’t tell who it was, but I heard a loud laugh, and I was pushed off the ship.

As I landed in a wet greenland, I couldn’t see any of my comrades. “Where is everybody? Bingo! DelGato! Sub!” I screamed, as I noticed the mothership above me was on fire, but it wasn’t going down soon. I waited for what it seemed like hours, and I found a very familiar gun. I started examining it until I noticed one engraved word on the trigger, “Bingo”. I wasn’t sure what to do anymore, so I ran until I got to the military base. When I got there, the king's butler, Charlie, said that Mr. Wilheim, the king, would greet me in a moment.

When Mr. Wilheim greeted me, and I said, “Mr. Wilheim, we were unable to take out the mothership. But, with your permission, would I be allowed to train the academy’s 6 best soldiers to become Hunters?”

Mr. Wilheim seemed like it was a bad idea, but then he finally said, “Twist, you may train them, if anyone can take out the mothership, it’s you. We will be counting on you.”

The next morning, I got dressed, and ran to the training hall to meet 6 soldiers who looked like they were ready to die to end this war.

“You have all been personally picked by me, to be trained to become a Hunter. We might be the last Hunter squad ever, depending on if we can end the Blisters forever,” I said.

I took one glimpse at all 6 of these soldiers, and I knew that we would be the ones to save the world. “This will be intense training, with no time to relax unless it's lights out. You will still have 3 meals a day, but you only get 30 minutes per lunch, you go to bed at 8pm, and wake up at 4am. Let's get started, we don’t have much time till the Blisters attack.”

The next week was all training, and each day, I saw each and every one of them improve more than they did the day before. When I finally thought they were ready, I told them, “No training today. Today is the day that we take out the Blisters, once and for all.”

They all cheered, then got their equipment ready. When we were all ready we loaded into the ship that had the highest defense for us to get in and escape. They were all chattering, and I was just thinking about my squad that I had lost. I didn’t want it to happen again, and I was going to make sure it doesn’t happen again.

When we got to the ship, I lead the way through the hallways, gun in my hand, and ready to strike. When we finally found the egg, we walked up to it.

One of my soldiers said, “That was way too easy, let's just blow it up, and get out of here.”

He spoke to soon, right after he said that, a ton of Blisters came charging in. “Everyone, just hold them off, I’m going to get to the egg one way or another.”

I charged through the room where the egg was, and put C4 on the egg and ran. As I passed my squad, I yelled, “Don’t worry about the Blisters, just run to the ship!”

We sprinted all the way to the ship, then we flew off. I turned to look at the mothership, and noticed that it had finally blown up. We all cheered, knowing that we just saved the world, and our families.

When we finally landed, it was too late at night to talk to Mr. Wilheim, so we all went to bed.

When I woke up, there was a message through the intercom. “All Hunter’s please come to the Ceremony room now!”

I got up, and went to the Ceremony room, and my squad were all sitting there with medals around their necks.
When I got to the podium, Mr. Wilheim said, “Twist Deltin, due to your braveness in a second attack on the Blisters, we award you with two medals. The Medal of Honor, and the badge for 5 Star General. Thank you for all that you’ve done for us. If there is ever another attack, you will be the leader. Also, to those members of Twist’s first squad, who all gave their lives trying to save the world, rest in peace, you have saved the world, and maybe even the universe.”

I was inspired to write this article because of the Star Wars franchise, and Enders Game.

P.S. please leave a comment about this story, I'd like to hear as much opinions about this as I can. Thanks!