November Second, 2019 | Teen Ink

November Second, 2019

By JFletcher BRONZE, Moreland Hills, Ohio
JFletcher BRONZE, Moreland Hills, Ohio

From the overcast sky, I could tell that today would not be a good day. November 2, 2019. Everything from the lack of sun to the lack of people at school seemed uneasy. I entered my first period class, only to find four other people there. I wonder why nobody’s here, maybe they all got the flu, I thought. No, that would be too coincidental. Taking my seat, I turned to Jack and asked, “Where do you think everyone is?”

“I don’t know, maybe the flu or smallpox,” he responded, not sure with his answer. We were both too lazy to watch the morning news so we had no clue.
“Well, flu would be too coincidental, I would think smallpox,” I explained to Jack. First period went by faster because there were less people making stupid comments.
We headed off to our next period, and found that Andrew, Jack, and I were the only ones there. We asked the same question to Andrew, who gave us the same answer. Suddenly, a loud shatter of broken glass coming from outside. We heard a mass of groaning and trudging through the commons. We immediately took off, tearing our way through the hallways like three cheetahs chasing after food, we ended up hiding trying to hide in a secluded place, a corner under the stairs. A couple seconds after we huddled into the corner like hobos around a fire, a teacher came down the hallway, Mrs. Keipler. She told us to follow her, and hurry. So we did chasing after the surprisingly fast teacher.
We ended up in the boiler room. “Why do we need to go here?” Andrew inquired.
“There’s a zombie bunker down here, you’ll find everything you need to defend yourselves down here, along with a school map and some wristwatches to communicate with each other,” Mrs. Keipler responded.
We found some baseball bats, hockey sticks, lacrosse nets, and assortments of different sports balls (baseballs, lacrosse balls, hockey pucks) that we could use as improvised projectiles. We found rollerblades that can take us upstairs, and wristwatches with a hologram of the school map on them. Jack, Andrew, and I loaded up with ammo belts of balls and pucks, and took the corresponding stick to use with the improvised weapons. We all took off through different wings of the school, planning to meet by the track at noon, which gave us fifteen minutes to evacuate everyone. I had taken off to the gymnasium area to get people out of there. “Hey! There’s a horde of zombies in the school! Evacuate now!” I shouted into the gym. Within seconds, a miniature stampede, due to the lack of people flooded out of the gym, heading toward the track as directed.
I tried to call Andrew and Jack on the Skype app on the watches. They responded, but I heard a lot of groans, thuds, and cries of help coming from both of their ends. “Zombies over there?” I asked sarcastically.
“If that’s what you want to call these mindless freaks with torn up skin and broken limbs? Yes,” Jack explained with a bored tone in his voice. “We need a better plan, come up the steps, near the media center and help me.” I quickly tore up to the stairs, and contracted the wheels into the shoes I was wearing, and slung some lacrosse balls up towards the zombies. They fell to the ground, twitching. Jack had me find any people huddled in classrooms and evacuate them quickly. The few people in the classrooms were hesitant to leave the rooms, and rightfully so, but then saw that there were no undead beasts outside of the classroom, and decided to leave quickly, ever so slowly and cautiously creeping out the doors under the stairs. Eventually, Jack and I had cleared the school of zombies, and people by noon.
“Wait!” I exclaimed, feeling like a complete idiot, “We forgot Andrew!” I raced inside, being faster and well trained on rollerblades than I had been in the early hours of first period, and found Andrew, cowering in the corner we were first in.
“I don’t do well under pressure,” he said to me as we escaped through the doors. We raced out of the building to make sure that everyone was safe, and had teachers drive buses of people back to their houses, only to tell an unbelievable story to their parents. I was finally not going to be a lazy bum and turn on the TV to see the news. They had an aerial view of the school, all the reporters had one question: Who saved the school from the day of the dead, quite literally seeing as it was November Second. I called Andrew, inquiring about explaining to the reporters who did it.
“We should say it was us, we could get rich and famous,” he replied giddily.
“Yeah, but Mrs. Keipler was the one who showed us where to get the equipment we needed, it should really be her who saved the school.” I contradicted.
“Ask Jack, he will know what to do,” Andrew told me. Jack was always the force of reason out of all three of us. I called, he responded with a “we should say that we saved the school, but Mrs. Keipler showed us how to save the school.” Which seemed logical, so I called the news station and told them what Jack had explained to me.
“You have won Ten Thousand Dollars for saving the school, do whatever you want with the money.” The news reporter replied to me. I decided that we should split the money four ways, two thousand and five hundred dollars for each of us. Mrs. Keipler included. We ended up dividing the money with Mrs. Keipler, who said, “I don’t know what I did to deserve this reward. All I did was show you to the boiler room.”
“If you hadn’t shown us to the boiler room, we wouldn’t have been able to save the school,” Andrew replied gratefully. That day, we three seniors of Palm Beach High became heroes. We had saved our school from an undead siege with only sports equipment, and help from a teacher. That day, we became legends.

I love zombie books/apocalypse themed books. I felt I could write a good piece about an apocalypse.