Year 2100 | Teen Ink

Year 2100

May 4, 2016
By SophieEndly BRONZE, Spirit Lake, Iowa
SophieEndly BRONZE, Spirit Lake, Iowa
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Life is better when your swimming." - Speedo


The date is August 22, 2100 the world is predicted to end tomorrow. The news is raging with information, people are scrambling around, and others are hiding due to being scared. I am in shock and can’t believe that this is actually happening.


My name is Evelyn Harwood and I will be starting the eleventh grade tomorrow. I go to Harlem High School in Concord, New England. Today is the last day of summer and I can’t enjoy it because I can’t go outside. There is so much CO2 in the air today which caused over pollution of the skies which blocked out the sun leaving our Earth cold and dark all day and night. The temperatures have dropped to -25????F during the night and nearly reaches 5????F at the highest during the day. If only everyone wouldn’t have caused so much pollution in the air by burning fossil fuels we could have sunnier days and warmer temperatures.


A year ago today my friends and I were enjoying time at the beach and now we are watching movies inside. My friend has to get to my house by kayaking through the streets. The streets are flooded and there is no such thing as cars. The seal level has risen 10 ft in the past 100 years causing the ocean to wipe out most cities. The so called island “Hawaii” is now non existent and underwater at the bottom of the ocean. Towns like the one I live in are flooded. The sea level is currently rising and expected to rise 3.0mm per year for now on.


  Today the world is supposed to end. Everyone is taking precaution and hiding in their houses. My parents are hugging me in sobbing afraid of what has yet to come. If only we did something about this 200 years ago. We have 100 crates of food and 100 gallons of water. We are listening to news on the radio and one of the scientist says the earth is supposed to freeze to death due to the Earth reaching freezing temperatures. This freezing won't be anything that we have seen before. All the sudden my breath shortens to nothing and.....


If we would have treated the Earth properly all of mankind wouldn’t have froze to death and died. If I could go back in time I would have done something about it and not stay quiet. Everyone could have not burned fossil fuels so much, made more alternative energy, cut down trees, and so many more things.


Works Cited
"How Maney Pounds in a 100 Gallons of Water?" Yahoo! Answers. Yahoo! Web. 02 May 2016.
Parry, By Wynne. "How High Will Sea Levels Go by 2100?" LiveScience. TechMedia Network, 24 Sept. 2013. Web. 02 May 2016.
"Sea Level Rise." Wikipedia. Wikimedia Foundation. Web. 02 May 2016.
"The Earth Is Getting Colder, Not Warmer." Extinction Theory. Web. 02 May 2016.


The author's comments:

What inspired me to write this is the world ending. Thinking about the world ending is horrible and when my character is spending her last day of summer inside that really hit me because no one would like to do that.