In the year 2198... | Teen Ink

In the year 2198...

I live in the year 2198. Asking me if things are different? Yes, they are. Today, education is not what it used to be. Education is not even a word used anymore. There are no such things as schools or universities. A simple chip does it all. Those from the past may think this is ludicrous. However, this is the normal in today's crazy society.

For us, there is no need to study or do research. We don't even have to bother about thinking. Ardent scientists trying to figure out the mysteries of our world are no longer living. Everything that has been discovered and proven is correct, and will be right forever. Why? Because no one will even try to go against the beliefs and challenge a theory. Science. Not what it used to be.

Knowledge comes from simple but complex chips. They seem crude, but they were actually very hard to produce. The idea was introduced about half a century ago. It was chaos. Organizations willing to make profit caused a revolution. Schools were destroyed, universities burnt and teachers kidnapped. Known as i-chips, these funny devices are inserted in small slots located in our helmets. By the way, everyone wears helmets. Apparently, they give us the ability to "think". Without them, you cannot connect the chip to your brain.

Does this mean everyone is equal in this world? That as in levels of intelligence, we are all the same? Not really. Not all chips are the same. Your knowledge depends on how much money you invest on your i-chip. To read, write, and do basic math, you need to buy one of the cheap ones. They cost around 5,000 dollars. Not so cheap, right? The prices go up to 500,000 dollars. This is what wicked companies do to make money. 

Some people are against this kind of "education". They say it's unreasonable and ridiculous. I'm one of them. However, most citizens have been convinced that this is the right method. Sure, publicity and propaganda helped. 

My 89th birthday was yesterday. I'm old. I've experienced the real studying; going to the library and doing research on the Internet. Working at schools, helping students, having good teachers. I know what education used to be like. I'd give anything to go back in time. I'm writing this with the hope that someone will, in the future, read this.