Only a Dream | Teen Ink

Only a Dream

By NicoleDanielle SILVER, Scottsdale, Arizona
NicoleDanielle SILVER, Scottsdale, Arizona

My heart was racing. It felt as though it were about to burst through my chest. My head throbbed and pounded like a hammer banging down on a nail. The twigs that snapped from under my feet terrified myself as though the Hunter had snapped them. Somehow, I felt him behind me. Chasing after me and calling my name in his slimy voice.

A moth flew up to the moon attracted to the only light being spread in between the cracks of the thick branches overhead. Where was he?

'Sarah,' The voice was more in my head then it was behind me. It was like I was thinking of the voice, almost like it was my own thoughts calling to me.

I ran faster, rapidly gaining my impossible speed.

The voice was farther back in my mind now, like it was only a pigment of my imagination. It was only an echo. I'd escaped.

I sat on an old mossy log that was moist from rain. My head in my hand I said a prayer thanking God that he'd let me escape.

Perhaps it was too soon to think I had escaped the Hunter's clutches.

A dark tall figure appeared. Eyes aglow in a red hue. Teeth baring, revealing the sharp points that were rotted yellow. The Hunter's figure was slouching over in a crouch, even then he was taller then I was. I stumbled back onto my backside. I pushed myself back as the creature reared up getting ready pounce on his prey.

There was no way of escaping this time. I was trapped between two trees that had split out from each other. The dark branches creating a cove just for me to be cornered in.

The hunter knelt back with muscles showing. With one quick movement, he was coming towards me, mouth wide ready to chomp and tear through my flesh. I closed my eyes, hoping to feel no pain.

I sat up with a gasp as a bead of sweat rolls down my forehead. I was breathing heavy in my own room. In my own bed. No forest, no endless darkness, no Hunter.

It was only a dream.

I have no idea where this came from, Sarah is a made up character who I just thought would fit into the story. It is not a real dream that I have had or anything like that.

Melonn PLATINUM, Phoniex, Arizona

change your life

Democracy... while it lasts is more bloody than either aristocracy or monarchy. Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There is never a democracy that did not commit suicide.
John Ada

love thiswrititng :)