A Little Bit of Magic | Teen Ink

A Little Bit of Magic

By rose4427 BRONZE, Ridgefield, Washington
rose4427 BRONZE, Ridgefield, Washington

Are you feeling bored with the book you're reading? Do you feel like it's missing that little hint of magic that you like to feel when reading? Then do I have a book for you! “Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone” by J.K. Rowling is a wonderful book about the lives of witches and wizards. Its filled with that special magic touch you love, plus plenty of imagery and suspense to keep you intrigued. The author makes the story come alive with relatable situations and emotions, but also manages to keep a feeling of fantasy through the book. Therefore, those who love a good, magical, fantasy book should read “Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone” for a warm, inviting, magical experience created by the story's setting, epic duels, magical powers, and memorable characters.
The first reason why fantasy lovers should read this book is because of the setting. The images J.K Rowling puts in the minds of her readers is amazing. Hogwarts and Diagon Alley are probably two of the most magical places you will ever hear about. Hogwarts is the school that the main character (Harry) and his friends attend. The school itself is actually in a castle filled with towers, hidden rooms, and a beautiful great hall “Harry had never imagined such a strange and splendid place. It was lit by thousands and thousands of candles that were floating in midair…” (Rowling 116). Diagon Alley is one of the main shopping centers for all the witches and wizards. The books does an incredible job of describing this little piece of the wizard world. Everywhere you look this ally is packed with magical shops big and small, filled with wands, spell books, and magical creatures.  “Harry wished he had about eight more eyes. He turned his head in every direction as they walked up the street, trying to look at everything at once; the shops, the things outside them…”(Rowling 71). This book's setting is one of the many things that makes this book so magical and fun to read.
The next aspect that would attract a fantasy lover is the epic duels. Throughout the story, the characters face fights and battles. However, instead of having fist fights, they duel with wands “She raised her wand. “Petrificus Totalus!” she cried, pointing it at Neville. Nevilles arms snapped to his sides. His legs sprang together. His whole body rigid, he swayed where he stood and then fell flat on his face…” (Rowling 273). Sometimes the wizards and witches ride through the air on broomsticks in order to teach bullies a lesson, fight for their friends, and sometimes just to show off. These broom flights can get pretty intense, so be prepared to get on the edge of your seat as the characters fly through the air, “Harry saw, as though in slow motion, the ball rise up in the air and then start to fall. He leaned forward and pointed his broom handle down...wind whistled in his ears, mingled with the screams of people watching-he stretched out his hand…”(Rowling 149). Over all, a lot of this book's magical/fantasy elements are seen in the epic duels that occur throughout the story.
    Another way this story is perfect for magical/fantasy book lovers is through the special magic powers that some of the characters possess. A few of these characters are Professor McGonagall, The sorting Hat, and Lord Voldemort. Professor McGonagall is introduced into the story at first as a cat...until she shapeshifts back into a woman “He sat down on the wall next to the cat...He turned to smile at the tabby, but it had gone. Instead he was smiling at a rather severe-looking woman…” (Rowling 9). As for the Sorting Hat...if it weren't for this hats special powers it probably wouldn't have even count as a character. This special hat helps sort the students at Hogwarts into groups, and also sings a song of guidance “Then the hat twitched. A rip near the brim opened wide like a mouth-and the hat began to sing..” (Rowling 117). Then of course we have Lord Voldemort, the baddest, most kick-butt villain in the book. Like most bad guys, this dudes magical powers are never ending. But I think his most interesting power that you will see in this book is his ability to grow on the back of someone's head “Where there should have been a back to Quirrell's head, there was a face...It was chalk white with glaring red eyes and slits for nostrils, like a snake.” (Rowling 293). Sounds a little creepy right? These characters magical abilities are just another way J.K. Rowing makes this story interesting and magical.
The final, and biggest element that makes this story perfect for fantasy lovers are the memorable characters. Each and every character is described with care, giving them a life-like feeling. Rowling makes you feel like you have a real relationship with the characters. There are oh-so many amazing characters throughout this story that it would take hours to talk about them all. Therefore, I am going to mention two of my favorites: Hermione Granger, and Albus Dumbledore. Hermione turns out to be one of Harry closest friends. When Harry and her first meet, his first impression is a little bumpy “She had a bossy sort of voice, lots of bushy brown hair, and rather large front teeth.” (Rowling 105). However, he eventually discovers that she is a smart, sweet, loyal girl. As for Dumbledore, he is probably the most important, well-respected, wisest wizard in the entire wizard community. He is kind of a celebrity in this book. In fact, the first time Harry sees Albus's face is on a trading card. In the book he is described exactly as you would expect a wizard to look “He wore half-moon glasses, had a long, crooked nose, and flowing silver hair, beard and mustache.”(Rowling 102). Throughout the story, Albus is the one that protects the school and its student from harm. The characters are definitely one of the big ways Rowling makes makes reading her book so magical and warm.
All in all, this book is packed with little elements that come together beautifully to create a magical, fantasy story. With the beautiful, detailed settings this story has a feeling of realness. It makes its readers want to join Harry and his friends at Hogwarts. The epic duels throughout the story keep you guessing, you never know what's going to happen next! Cool characters are made even cooler with magical powers. Suddenly the impossible is made possible, if we can't have magical powers ourselves, at least now we can read about them. But even with all these great elements, the main thing that makes this story so amazing are the new friends you will make in the charaters. The author makes them feel real and warm, as if they’re standing right next to you. After reading this story, you will feel as if you have gained a hundred new friends! So, are you going to go find out for yourself if this book is as good I say it is? If you do, I know you'll see that it truly does have a bit of magic.