Dream | Teen Ink

Dream

By VonnieTiger BRONZE, Easton, Pennsylvania
VonnieTiger BRONZE, Easton, Pennsylvania

Dreaming is a sneak peak into the capability and the capacity of the brain. My dreams are usually very bizarre. One night after spending time with my dad watching Willy Wonka and The Chocolate Factory, I decided to take a nap that led to the most peculiar dream of all time. As the scent of my mom making dinner fluttered through my nostrils, I drifted off to sleep. My mind began to play a beautiful scene of  gigantic, bright pink sugar coated gumdrops. Animals made of various different candies such as, candy corn rabbits and WarHead groundhogs grazed the sweet fields.   The river was made of lemonade, and it glistened under the sun. More guilty pleasures surrounded my view, and it was honestly an eight year old’s paradise.
Different emotions swirled through my head. As I looked around slightly confused, I was amazed,flabbergasted, and full of joy all at the same time. I spotted a Sour Patch Kids patch; it was as if the sour candies were in bunches like heads cabbage. I ran over and grabbed one big heap and sat on a nearby gumdrop eating. As I devoured my candy, I watched massive chocolate elephants stomp around while gummy bears(literally) rolled in a patch of grass playing. Unable to contain myself, I giggled with excitement.
Because of all the sour powder consumed, tingling with numbness my mouth begged for a drink. Noticing a tree with Jolly Rancher cones hanging from it, I plucked a cherry one and sprinted to the lemonade river. I dipped my cone into the river and drew a glorious yellow liquid into my mouth. It was the best lemonade I had ever tasted in my life! The taste of the lemonade reminded me of my mother because she always made the best lemonade around.
A recognizable smell wafted through the air, it was the savory smell of my mom’s famous pot roast. I started to feel slightly homesick,but I quickly brushed the feeling away. I ran around eating more sweet delights-more candy after more candy; some I have never seen before. The different colors flurried past me. At this time I was really starting to miss home,but at the same time I didn’t want to leave. Once again, I pushed the feeling to the back of my mind and continued to eat and more sweet treats.
I was struggling to pull a candy corn carrot out of the ground when a green fairy appeared in front of me. A tiny creature with big green eyes that beamed at me, he was dressed in a beautiful twinkling green tux sprouting a pair of green ombre wings. His shoes were pointed, and they glistened in the bright sun. He introduced himself stating that his name was Mint.
“Hi! How are you today?” he said as he flew around me in a circle.
“I’m all right. Where exactly am I and how do I leave?” I inquired with a worried look on my face.
Mint looked at me and sighed,  “We are in Wonderville and there is a key you have to find.”
My heart sank. All of the emotions that I had been holding back, suddenly pushed their way to the front of my mind. I began to panic, questions began to flutter through my head.  A voice echoed throughout the magnificent place, “Chevonne, it’s time for dinner!” It was my mom’s voice and I missed her dearly. I missed my dad, I missed everyone and thinking about this made tears begin to stream down my face.
“Now now, don’t cry there little one.” he said trying to comfort me. “Listen, I can’t tell you where it is, but I can slightly guide you.”
I sprung up and begged him to help me.
“Okay, the only thing I’m going to tell you is it’s under the place where your dreams came true.” and with that he zoomed off into the beautiful pink sky.
After the slight anxiety attack subsided, I began to analyze what Mint had said to me. This whole place is where my dreams came true! I ran around for what felt like hours. Then it hit me, I sprinted back to the huge gumdrop that I was sitting on when I first arrived. I used the last of my strength to flip the sticky candy over. My eyes opened wide when the shiny, candy encrusted key glistened in the sun. I shrieked and grabbed the key. Mint then appeared in front of me again.
“Congratulations! You finally found it!” he waved his wand and the ground began to shake. A set of blue rock candy stairs started to rise out of the ground. I grabbed on to the nearest sugar bush to keep my balance. I grabbed the key and sprinted up the stairs to the emerald colored door. Sticking the key into the slot and twisted the door handle, a bright light shone through the door. I turned around to get my last glimpse of paradise and as I scanned the land Mint smiled and waved. I walked into the bright light and sprang up out of my sleep. I was drenched in sweat and my mouth was extremely dry.
My mom was leaned over me with a concerned look. “Sweetheart.” she said “Are you okay? Did you hear what I said? It’s time for dinner.” I nodded and she helped me up off the couch and threw her arm around me as we walked into the kitchen. That was the most bizarre dream I’ve ever had.

I origanlly wrote this piece as a narrative for school. When I turned it in, my teacher suggested that I submit it somewhere. I went back and made some adjustments. Then, I turned to Teen Ink and submitted this piece. I hope you enjoy!