Taking | Teen Ink

Taking

By Rohan_Iyer BRONZE, Woodinville, Washington
Rohan_Iyer BRONZE, Woodinville, Washington

Through an Action, a Man becomes a Hero. Through Death, a Hero becomes a Legend. Through Time, a Legend becomes a Myth. Through hearing a Myth, a Man takes an Action....

Firnix rode on Rukael, his hellfire wyvern, finally viewing the Red Castle. It had been a long time since he had last seen the towering scarlet walls of the Red Castle, and the pristine, wide moat that surrounded it. Rukael swooped down and closer, over the trees in the forest north of the castle. Firnix knew Arian was in there; and he hoped Emerald Green was in there too. As Rukael reached the floor, Firnix got off the dragon’s back, and leaned up to rub its black snout; but decided against it, examining the moist and slithery reptilian skin. “Thanks Rukael. Stay alert; there will be guards around here,” Firnix said smiling. It is you who needs to be careful- and diligent. And remember; don’t show mercy for that fool- he has been corrupted, and the new civilization will not need him, Rukael said, and Firnix sighed. “I will try”, and with that, Firnix ran off, towards the fifth ring to collect. As he reached the moat, which hadn’t been far off, He stayed wary. The pet of the king would surely be here. Firnix remembered it from his younger days, when he would watch it gobble up the food Augon would give it; some large mound of red, juicy meat. Firnix heard the gurgling noises the pet would make as it chewed, the click of its teeth, and the smell of its food wafting up towards Firnix. That would keep him away. Smirking, Firnix looked for the pet, ready to kill it. How he has changed. He looked around, then, deciding to just face it straight up, creating an air bubble around him, and he plunged into the moat, his back the wall, so the pet wouldn’t sneak up on him. It took a few minutes, but he found the pet and the bottom of the deep moat, where it was too dark to make out details. Firnix, alarmed at the quickly moving shadow, blasted air beneath him to rise all the way up, where he flew up above the surface, and he watched as the pet did too. Firnix took out Aeros out of its sheath to attack. “Hey hey! The blood of a megapirahna! Make sure to hit it good Firnix!” Aeros exclaimed. Firnix nodded, and as gravity pulled him closer to the water’s surface, he readied Aeros against the megapirahna that was getting closer to him. Right when it was above him, he slashed, funneling Soul Energy into Aeros at the same time, blasting the pet into bits. “Ha! Guts and galore!” Aeros screamed. “Oh, shut up. That one was easy. Let’s get in the castle, anyways. I’ll leave you out for now,” Firnix said, using physimental enhancement to scale the walls. He looked through the windows for a good opening, when he saw the throne room. And in it… was Arian. Firnix smiled, and blasted the window with water, and leapt through. Arian was alone in the throne room. He was sitting on the throne, the eighth minister seats empty, and so was the bar and dining area. Firnix looked up at Arian, noticing that Emerald Green wasn’t on either of his hands. “Have you come to kill me, Firnix?” Arian asked. He was smiling with his mouth, but his eyes were sunk, and his head held low. “No… I will if I must, but I want Emerald Green. No, I need Emerald Green. All of Arla needs it. So please, just give it to me. This has gone too far.” Firnix said, taking a step forwards. “Fine… No longer do I have a use for the ring. I am a king with an army. Soon, the Truelands, most likely, with have taken control over this castle. I have no need to live… What is my purpose?” Arian asked. Firnix was taken aback. He didn’t expect Arian to be so… dejected. But Aeros had other thoughts. “Hey! If you don’t want your life, then at least die with grace! Firnix, plunge me into the heart of this fellow, I hope his blood will be pleasant to bathe in,” Aeros said. “No, Aeros. At least not yet,” Firnix said to Aeros, before turning in Arian’s direction. “Arian. Tell me where Emerald Green is. Then maybe, I can find a worthwhile purpose for you.” Firnix said. He was trying to be serious, to be helpful. It wasn’t easy. Arian looked away. “Firnix, it’s located in, well, the moat. I threw it in there in anger.” Arian said. Firnix’s eyes widened. He immediately ran out of the throne room from the way he came in. He remembered how the pet had always liked shiny things. Chances are, it would’ve been with the ring. Firnix plunged into the moat, creating an air bubble just before. He searched and searched, eventually finding a green ring. Emerald Green. Firnix picked it up, and returned to the surface. He had a wide grin on his face. Ring five. He then looked up at the window he had obliterated to enter the throne room. “Great job, kid. I know i’ve said it before, but your defiance is really annoying. Just kill him, c’mon, he even wants it!” Aeros said, sounding hopeful. Firnix shook his head. “He only needs time. He will find his purpose eventually.” Firnix got up, feeling Emerald Green. The fifth ring… Suddenly, Firnix frowned. The ring wasn’t emanating heat, like the other Rings of the Abyss. Yes, it had the exact same design and composition, but it hadn’t come from the abyss. Arian had made a copy, and threw it into the moat; to possibly distract him… Firnix flew up to the throne room, telling Aeros what had happened at the same time. Aeros didn’t respond. Firnix entered the throne room, ready to force information out of Arian, but he was not to be seen. Firnix stomped on the ground, and yelled in frustration. “Naive as ever, Firnix. I feel stupid for having believed it was so easy to get the ring,” Aeros said. “Oh be quiet,” Firnix told his sword, and put it back in its scabbard.

This is my first short story so it might not be that good.

WolfWhisperer0911 BRONZE, Austin, Texas
@Riyer Ok, I want to say thank you for commenting on my forum and I would like to help you with this story. First off, I would say that when you have dialogue, be sure to have it separated from the other paragraphs so that it will be easy for the readers to read the story. Another thing is that the hook is very weak in this story, so I would suggest to maybe describe the environment, add some conflict in it, dialogue, or whatever you feel would go best as the hook of the story.