The Blue Warrior | Teen Ink

The Blue Warrior

May 8, 2018
By danka BRONZE, Land O\\\' Lakes, Florida
danka BRONZE, Land O\\\' Lakes, Florida
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Long ago the world was nothing like it was before. But after eons of abuse and neglect, the world has lost her beauteous mysteries.

Fortunately, I was able to uncover these secrets quite recently in a quaint, dusty bookshop owned by a worn out man, his beard almost reaching down to the top of his tweed pants. He told me in a raspy, accented voice that the book I held in my hands was “rubbish” and “not worth my time”, luckily I didn't listened to him and paid the twenty dollars for it. The book was bound in worn leather and the gold was slowly falling off from the eccentric cursive. However, when I pulled back the delicate pages I could see the secrets of the lost world oozing out onto my fingers. One tale, however, stood out the most to me. It was about a warrior who saved the world from The Darkness, and now I share this wonder with you.


The sea of grass moved in waves with the bright ocean in the sky. The plain was silent except for the joyous singing of the humongous whales above. Then on the horizon a wisp of fur streaked by. On top of the ferocious beast rode a hooded figure. The pair sprinted across the plain earning the thunderous calls of the whales up above. The whales spray water onto the two as if to bless them on their journey. The rider and it's beast finally slowed down near the mouth of a dripping cave.


Darkness soon accompanied the rider and it's beast when the two suns, slowly raised up and disappeared into the sea. It was then the rider finally removed its velvety hood. Underneath a mountain of silver hair came rolling out like the waves up above, on her face were swirling tattoos that glowed a faint turquoise hue. Her beast slept behind here, its back facing the open mouth of the cave all the while encompassing her from the harsh, frigid air. It was there in the company of sleeping mass of fur and a small fire, that gravitated off the ground only a few feet, when she was asked to do the impossible.


The rider had noticed a stout man with a moustache that wrapped around his whole head coming riding up to her cave on a golden horse, the horse of nobles. He came riding in with a flurry of hooves and the occasional cough notifying his presence. She, however, never looked up not until the man hopped off his horse and walked unsteadily towards the log near her. For a moment they sat there together in silence, both regarding the other, when the man cleared his throat and in a shaky voice interrupted the silence.


“O’ Blue Warrior the world is in dire need of your assistance.” he was met with nothing from the woman. “Eh, let me introduce myself. My name is Tvaal, I am the king of Untage, and The Darkness is destroying this world and my kingdom.”. The woman slowly turned her head and now trained her deep blue eyes onto Tvaal, and for a split second Tvaal thought he saw a thunderous storm in her eyes. Tvaal took a deep breath, and looked straight into her stormy eyes and pleaded,


“Please Blue Warrior help my people and the people of this world.” the woman only stared down at Tvaal then swiveled her head back to the fire, and responded in a silky voice a single word:


“Leave.” the sweet voice, yet commanding word startled Tvaal causing him to drop from the log which led to the beast behind them to growl putting it’s sharp teeth out in full display.


“I’m sorry Blue Warrior, but I don’t think you understand we need your help I heard you were connected with the powerful waves of the sky. I heard they had magical properties that empower you.”


“You heard right.” was all the warrior replied with.


“I don’t understand!” cried out Tvaal in an exasperated breath, “why will you not help us?” and with that last sentence the warrior moved as fast as running water, and was leaning over Tvaal. One hand wrapped around his meaty throat the other up pointed to the sky.


“O’ king of Untage I will only provide my assistance if you can do one thing for me. What's my birth name?” she was met with Tvaal’s shaking beady eyes and whispered in despair,


“I-I don’t know…” the warrior lowered her head until her mouth was near his hairy ear and in a deadly voice whispered:


“I’ll tell you it’s Nyla, and I will never help your scum of people, you disgusting murderer.” Nyla’s hand raised to the sky then twisted sharply, and the water rolling up in the sky came crashing down on Tvaal; nearly drowning the King of Untage. Nyla brought the rushing water fall back up into the sky with a flick of her wrist leaving the soaked, shaking body of Tvaal. She looked down at Tvaal in pity and said in her sweet sickly voice, “I thought you were more intelligent than this?”. Tvaal simply coughed up water up at Nyla his moustache hang limply by the side of his reddened cheeks. Nyla clucked her tongue in disappointment “Of course an imbecile like you wouldn’t understand the immense disrespect you have done to me.” Tvaal opened his mouth the droplets of seawater rushed downed his face, but before he could speak Nyla had swooped down and covered his quivering mouth with her slender hand. It was then Tvaal noticed her tattoo’s and how the low glow had slowly been growing in intensity, covering Tvaal in a bright light of turquoise blue. Fear built up in his stomach and rocketing up to his throat forcing it shut. “You don’t understand Tvaal everyone in this land and the land beyond that, and the land beyond that have hunted my people to near extinction, and your people, the Untagians were the harshest, yet here I stand the last Blue Warrior. You can understand why I do not want to help your people and anyone’s people.” and with that Nyla dropped Tvaal back onto the drenched log and turned towards her beast, mounted on, and rode off back into the sea of waving grass.


Tvaal sat there slumped on his log in front of the open cave, dreadful thoughts bombarded his mind. Nyla had made it very clear she was not over the genocide of her people years before, but many had hoped she would change her mind if she understood the world was being torn apart by the swirling black smoke. With all these jumbling thoughts Tvaal, King of Untage vowed right there to the leaking drops of the cave that he would convince Nyla the last Blue Warrior to fight.