Anxious | Teen Ink

Anxious

By clorianna85 BRONZE, Allentown, Pennsylvania
clorianna85 BRONZE, Allentown, Pennsylvania

“I can’t believe it…” I spoke out with a quiver in my voice, arms crossed on top of my head as I lay on my bed. There was only a few days left. Two days and 17 hours to be exact, I wasn’t even counting. It seems like it was engraved into my head, even though it was continually changing. I decided to give up sleeping and take up drinking coffee; maybe if I stayed up without resting I’d somehow get more time. I mean, I already had plenty of time but for some reason I couldn’t bring myself to do anything with it. This is my last chance to be normal, and I need to savor it more than anything. NASA had announced that the world was going to end about three weeks ago. Well, not really. A meteor about half the size of the sun was going to crash into the northern hemisphere, potentially cracking many layers of the Earth and causing disastrous faults. When it crashes, life will change completely and forever.
With a heavy sigh, I sat up in my tousled bed sheets, looking through my windows to the dreary skies; half because it was consistently cloudy in Pennsylvania, and half because the meteor was covering a large portion of the sun. It was getting closer, and you could tell. It was beautiful in a way, not like I’ve seen anything like this before. Because of the loss of a chunk of sun, it was pretty cold on this side of the world. So I swung my feet over to the edge of the bed and slid on some fuzzy slippers tossed by the side of the bed. Also on the floor by my bed, I put on a plush pink robe, tying the strap around my waist as I walked to the window. My pajamas were underneath the fuzzy robe so I was nice and warm, meaning I was ready.
I walked out of my room and down the stairs with no particular hurry, out the house with a “I’ll be back later!” and shut the door softly. I don’t think anyone noticed though, as they were all within their own existential crisis’s. The world even looked like it was ending; when you look outside everything is a mess, no matter what. Even the really nice suburbs and fancy stores, it was all ransacked. Why? I don’t really know, not like you could do much with it in a few days. It felt refreshing to finally get outside for the first time in weeks, Lord knows I needed it. I was too anxious to face the world but I finally brought myself to it.